Audeze LCD-4
Nov 8, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #1,461 of 12,053
atsmile.gif
Someone could inform about the sky blue cable that comes with the LCD-4?
Is it good enough or anyway it is necessary to get a better cable?
Oh God : which could it be the best cable for the LSD-4???
Some advice please?

Nov 8, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #1,463 of 12,053
Thanks, the cable comparison would be great,very useful

Nov 8, 2015 at 7:00 AM Post #1,464 of 12,053
Now that my LCD-4's are broken in a bit the bass is just incredible! Even better then my LCD-2.2 (pre fazor). You can clearly hear down to 20Hz. Just amazing. So clear and detailed. I am really loving these.
how about everything aside for bass? How intimate are vocals? Soundstage?

Nov 8, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #1,465 of 12,053
  I'd like to ask if the LCD4 is a bit more (or less?) forgiving of digital glare / upper-midrange peakiness (like in vocals) than the LCD3F sounds to me sometimes. I find the LCD3-classic better behaved in this area. 
[I note that the term "sparkle" was used above.] Thanks in advance.

The LCD-4 is, to my ear, more forgiving than the 3F of "digital glare and upper-midrange peakiness (like in vocals)." My LCD-3F had a slight glare in that area that was a little much for certain music; I think that's what you're talking about. I don't find that my LCD-4 has that characteristic.

Nov 8, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #1,466 of 12,053
Here are my impressions of the LCD-4 vs Ether C. I normally don't like comparing Open/Closed, but the Ether C is a very open/closed can and they were both recently released. This is not a technical review by any means, as I feel others can put pen to paper more eloquently. So here is my impressions so far using the Woo Audio WA7 using EH tubes and NOS RCA Clear Tops on the WA7tp. I chose to do this first as I am currently in the process of trying to sell this Amp/DAC and want to get my thoughts out of this system first. I will get my thoughts out on how they scale to on stronger systems as I get time.

I currently can't say I like one more than the other, they just do things differently. However, the LCD-4 just reaches so far in each direction and is faster to me. I will say that the LCD-4 is fuller and more laid back, where as the Ether C is more accurate and less full. When you switch back and forth the music sounds completely different. The LCD-4 just has more to to hear on the low end but is still forward on the treble side. Almost sounds like i'm hinting its congested, however, its far from that. It's just so fast it can push each end equally well! Where as the Ether C is more forward with its trebles and more airy, even though its no slouch in the bass either. I chalk this up to house sounds and the focus of each headphone.

The impact on the LCD-4 in the low end is so strong... almost looming. Not to say that the bass is congested or rolls over, it's just accurate as well as strong... and it reaches!! My God it reaches low, but as I said the bass is always present in tracks that are bass/sub-bass heavy.

I will say what surprised me the most about the LCD-4 is its detail replication and speed. In this hobby, people tend to use exaggerated terms to describe minute differences (myself included). However, when listening to the same tracks, the LCD-4 replicates the details better and is faster! It's also faster, by a significant margin in my listening. Whether you like LINKIN PARK or not, try listening to "LINKIN PARK - BURN IT DOWN". This track has very fast electronic reverberations that the LCD-4 really replicates to a whole new level! I mean when switching back and forth I was shocked at the difference... on the Ether C it just felt like the reverberations kind of overlapped a bit. The LCD-4 didn't have this problem, bravo Audeze!

I must say that the Ether C is no slouch in any department and is a wonderful pair of headphones. Honestly to me one of the best headphones I have every heard! It's not to harsh and not so detailed as to be analytical and boring. The LCD-4 just does things better in a different way, which to me goes to show how much Audeze has accomplished with these cans. It still retains the Audeze house sound, but just does its better than ever. Where as the Ether C just does things better towards the MrSpeakers house sound. I'm really excited to move on to higher end gear to see which scales better.

Hope this give you all an idea of my experience so far. As I stated before, i'm not the most eloquent of writers. So hopefully this wasn't too hard  of a read and didn't confuse people more than help. In a few weeks, I will get some impressions of Schiits GMB/MJ2.

Nov 8, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #1,467 of 12,053
  Here are my impressions of the LCD-4 vs Ether C. I normally don't like comparing Open/Closed, but the Ether C is a very open/closed can and they were both recently released. This is not a technical review by any means, as I feel others can put pen to paper more eloquently. So here is my impressions so far using the Woo Audio WA7 using EH tubes and NOS RCA Clear Tops on the WA7tp. I chose to do this first as I am currently in the process of trying to sell this Amp/DAC and want to get my thoughts out of this system first. I will get my thoughts out on how they scale to on stronger systems as I get time.

I currently can't say I like one more than the other, they just do things differently. However, the LCD-4 just reaches so far in each direction and is faster to me. I will say that the LCD-4 is fuller and more laid back, where as the Ether C is more accurate and less full. When you switch back and forth the music sounds completely different. The LCD-4 just has more to to hear on the low end but is still forward on the treble side. Almost sounds like i'm hinting its congested, however, its far from that. It's just so fast it can push each end equally well! Where as the Ether C is more forward with its trebles and more airy, even though its no slouch in the bass either. I chalk this up to house sounds and the focus of each headphone.

The impact on the LCD-4 in the low end is so strong... almost looming. Not to say that the bass is congested or rolls over, it's just accurate as well as strong... and it reaches!! My God it reaches low, but as I said the bass is always present in tracks that are bass/sub-bass heavy.

I will say what surprised me the most about the LCD-4 is its detail replication and speed. In this hobby, people tend to use exaggerated terms to describe minute differences (myself included). However, when listening to the same tracks, the LCD-4 replicates the details better and is faster! It's also faster, by a significant margin in my listening. Whether you like LINKIN PARK or not, try listening to "LINKIN PARK - BURN IT DOWN". This track has very fast electronic reverberations that the LCD-4 really replicates to a whole new level! I mean when switching back and forth I was shocked at the difference... on the Ether C it just felt like the reverberations kind of overlapped a bit. The LCD-4 didn't have this problem, bravo Audeze!

I must say that the Ether C is no slouch in any department and is a wonderful pair of headphones. Honestly to me one of the best headphones I have every heard! It's not to harsh and not so detailed as to be analytical and boring. The LCD-4 just does things better in a different way, which to me goes to show how much Audeze has accomplished with these cans. It still retains the Audeze house sound, but just does its better than ever. Where as the Ether C just does things better towards the MrSpeakers house sound. I'm really excited to move on to higher end gear to see which scales better.

Hope this give you all an idea of my experience so far. As I stated before, i'm not the most eloquent of writers. So hopefully this wasn't too hard  of a read and didn't confuse people more than help. In a few weeks, I will get some impressions of Schiits GMB/MJ2.

Well, I'll be damned. This is the first meaningful review/comparison I've read on this thread. Well done and thank you! I especially like how you focused on different aspects of detail retrieval, speed and frequency response sections (bass, treble). Very well written and easy to understand.

Eloquent writing is not needed when doing audio reviews. Prose and poetry are too subjective and do not exactly give the reader an idea of how something sounds after all.

If I may ask a question, how do the mids sound to you? How are vocals on each headphones and compared to each other? How about string instruments?

Nov 8, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #1,468 of 12,053

Awesome comparison :}
Kinda on topic, speaking of Burn it Down, [yay fellow LP fan!
beerchug.gif
]listen to the very left from 0:46 - 01:07. Can you hear that? I will not tell you what that tiny thing is [probably something synthed] but I haven't noticed that before.
I wonder whether you hear what I mean [sounds to me a bit like a piece of machinery moving, then a bit like a specific type of synth sticks or cymbals.. kinda neat!]. I have not noticed that before [and I am hearing things like this in recordings I thought I knew so well!]. Amazeballs layering and detail retrieval!
Now, I have the HEK and not the LCD4 but I am slowly getting the feeling they are beasts on a similar level. Lotsa things in common.
Enjoy buddy
beerchug.gif

Nov 8, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #1,469 of 12,053

Well, I'll be damned. This is the first meaningful review/comparison I've read on this thread. Well done and thank you! I especially like how you focused on different aspects of detail retrieval, speed and frequency response sections (bass, treble). Very well written and easy to understand.

Eloquent writing is not needed when doing audio reviews. Prose and poetry are too subjective and do not exactly give the reader an idea of how something sounds after all.

If I may ask a question, how do the mids sound to you? How are vocals on each headphones and compared to each other? How about string instruments?

So i've been listening to Apocalyptica, and I must say this is where i'm clearly seeing the LCD-4 is a winner. I mean its night/day clear between the two during the song "Nothing Else Matters"! I mean the LCD-4 again has that looming bass, fast treble, and lush mids! I was on the fence about which was a clear winner, but trust me put on some Apocalyptica and you realize that LCD-4 is clearly the better headphone. Listening to "Florence + The Machine - Dog Days Are Over" the LCD-4 are clearly the winner again. Honestly, it comes down to being more forgiving, laid back, and just more fun. 

Nov 8, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #1,470 of 12,053
Awesome comparison :}
Kinda on topic, speaking of Burn it Down, [yay fellow LP fan! :beerchug: ]listen to the very left from 0:46 - 01:07. Can you hear that? I will not tell you what that tiny thing is [probably something synthed] but I haven't noticed that before.
I wonder whether you hear what I mean [sounds to me a bit like a piece of machinery moving, then a bit like a specific type of synth sticks or cymbals.. kinda neat!]. I have not noticed that before [and I am hearing things like this in recordings I thought I knew so well!]. Amazeballs layering and detail retrieval!
Now, I have the HEK and not the LCD4 but I am slowly getting the feeling they are beasts on a similar level. Lotsa things in common.
Enjoy buddy :beerchug:  

I'll give it a listen when I get back to the house! I have honestly used LP(post-meteora) as my go to for micro detail, as their songs are full of hidden nuggets of synthesized sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back