Audeze LCD-4
Oct 7, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #663 of 12,024
It's funny because the HD800s are $1349AUD, compared to $6399 for the LCD4. That's almost 5 times the price, hilarious.

Oct 7, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #664 of 12,024
Free trade agreement and an order of fries. It's almost cheaper to fly over and buy as a present than pay uk prices. We get screwed over here.. and not the nice way.

Indeed, it's highly limiting. So many top U.S. audio products (amps especially) become ridiculously expensive when importing, significantly affecting the value-to-cost ratio.

Oct 7, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #665 of 12,024
  Oh dear

I'm on 80k a year which is considered pretty good.
I've calculated that I need to ask my boss for a 27k pay rise to purchase them with 1 month salary @ $6399 AUD.
Provided I don't eat or need to pay for rent and utility so this ain't gonna happen any time soon. 

Oct 7, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #666 of 12,024
  To those who are disappointed, perplexed or angry at the new pricing adopted by some of these manufacturers (as I myself am), I believe the best strategy is to simply spend your money elsewhere. I believe Beyerdynamic and Sennheiser are still offering reasonable bang for buck with their competing products, so it's not like there isn't some relevant competition. I'd actually be surprised if the T1's and HD800's don't sound better than the LCD4's, at least based on my own sonic preferences anyway.

On the topic of physical manufacturing quality, despite me preferring the T1's over the HD800's in terms of overall sound signature (it's a matter of subjective preference after all, more amusing still given that the T1's are much cheaper), the HD800's really are a thing of absolute precision crafted manufacturing beauty in the hands. In my honest opinion they make Audeze's offerings look and feel rudimentary and outdated in comparison. I do like the overall aesthetic look of the Audeze cans (though I'm not a fan of the arms, headband, all the visible nuts and bolts etc) and love the use of wood, they are so cumbersome in their ergonomics and functionality that it's almost laughable they're still adopting the same overall physical design principle they have been for years, even in a brand new $4,000 pair of headphones. It's some of the laziest, greediest product designing I've ever witnessed.

Agree.  Let's add Audez'e to your list.  At $1700 retail, the LCD-X are quite a "reasonable bang for the buck."  Based on my personal listening experience.  Check my inventory.

Cheers -
RCB

Oct 7, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #667 of 12,024
RMAF must be like poor kids looking through a high class restaurant window. Marie AnnToinette Iam sure said "Let them eat O2 Amp" but we all need something to aspire too even if it's out are reach. See a queen to a "King"
Keep on smiling regardless 8^)

Oct 7, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #670 of 12,024
It's funny how in 2009/2010 when it was released, everyone talked about the awesome HD 800 and its extreme price. Now, 5 years later, it's considered a "best value" product, even though the price has actually gone up a little bit...!

In 5 years, maybe the LCD-4 will be the go-to headphone for best value
biggrin.gif

Right.  Amazing how the HD800 has kept its value.  Good quality always wins ref any product or service.  Take it from a pro.

Oct 7, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #671 of 12,024
Will it blend? That is the question!
:D

Oct 7, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #672 of 12,024
Will it blend? That is the question!
biggrin.gif

The 1.5T magnets might be a problem once blended ...

Also, found a series of nice photos on parttimeaudiophile.com.
http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2015/10/07/rmaf-2015-audeze-reaching-for-the-king/

This one in particular is interesting:

$4000 product, with protruding, aesthetically unpleasing screws. Also, easily scratched shiny chrome. Come on. At least hide the screws.

Oct 7, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #673 of 12,024

The 1.5T magnets might be a problem once blended ...

Also, found a series of nice photos on parttimeaudiophile.com.
http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2015/10/07/rmaf-2015-audeze-reaching-for-the-king/

This one in particular is interesting:

$4000 product, with protruding, aesthetically unpleasing screws. Also, easily scratched shiny chrome. Come on. At least hide the screws.

Yeah, I'm shocked they still have those stupid screws. They are the things I hate at most about Audeze cans because they are always coming loose even after a strong tightening. So I'm checking them every time I pick them up.

Oct 7, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #674 of 12,024

Nice adjective.  Not all HD800 owners agree with that emotive.  Including me.

Yeah I can agree with less soulful, but it's not soulless.  

Yeah, I'm shocked they still have those stupid screws. They are the things I hate at most about Audeze cans because they are always coming loose even after a strong tightening. So I'm checking them every time I pick them up.

Maybe it's an industrial look?  If done right it can look tasteful, but yes the primary concern is for it to not come loose.  That said my LCD-2's have not come loose at all.  But like I was complaining earlier, the new TOTL 4000+ or whatever earphone should not be still sharing the same form factor, just a different finish on the side of the earcups and fancy headband.  

Oct 7, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #675 of 12,024

Indeed, it's highly limiting. So many top U.S. audio products (amps especially) become ridiculously expensive when importing, significantly affecting the value-to-cost ratio.

Everything I have had sent to a friend in england has been opened and re-sealed by customs over there however nothing I have had sent to me from anywhere has been torn through.  Sounds like they are in it for the duty and taxes over there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back