Audeze LCD-4
May 22, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #3,857 of 12,024
The X for me fell a fair amount short of the 4.

May 23, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #3,859 of 12,024
The X isnt in the same league as the LCD-4.....not even close although they do have similar sound signatures......my biggest problem with the X was that it is too efficient and did not let me enjoy it with a serious desktop amp...i could use it with my Mojo but even then I had to keep the volume very low...the 4 requires serious amping so in that way they are dramatically different....I like a middle ground in terms of efficiency but if i have to choose i will always go for less efficient because i can turn up the volume and use a serious desktop amp but if it is too efficient IMHO i cannot get the full potential out of it.....good for listening on a phone i suppose

May 23, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #3,860 of 12,024
I agree with that. I loved the X, but the LCD-4 is a strong step up. They really aren't in the same league.

May 23, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #3,863 of 12,024
How do these compare to the Fostex TH-900 (and the TH-x00) in terms of bass quantity, in particular? 

No contest. The LCD-4 is just stronger down lower than the TH-900 (Full disclosure: I owned the TH-900 for 3 months and then sold them - could not deal with the "U").

May 23, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #3,864 of 12,024
someday if i ever hear the 4 I will form my own judgement about what league it is in compared to the X but until then i will find it hard to believe there is such a big difference to make such a bold claim as to it being entirely out classed. Lot of people have heard says sounds no better then the 3 to which I have heard and to me the X is much better.  In a different league? That is just hyperbole.

May 23, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #3,865 of 12,024
  someday if i ever hear the 4 I will form my own judgement about what league it is in compared to the X but until then i will find it hard to believe there is such a big difference to make such a bold claim as to it being entirely out classed. Lot of people have heard says sounds no better then the 3 to which I have heard and to me the X is much better.  In a different league? That is just hyperbole.

You need to understand that this is first and foremost an LCD4 thread.

People are paying $2.3K more for the LCD4 than the LCDX (S$3,999 vs S$1,699), so there's a need to rationalize the purchase decision.

Do take everything with a pinch of salt until you have heard it for yourself and form your own conclusion. The only thing I lament is that it is not easy to identify which version of which headphone did everybody else (including myself) listen to, let alone the complication of equipment matching, individual sonic preference and etc.

May 23, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #3,866 of 12,024
i have heard them both....used to own the X and now I own the 4....the 4 is more refined,more detailed,more spacious and all with the same great bass.....the 4 is simply a far better can

May 23, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #3,867 of 12,024
  i have heard them both....used to own the X and now I own the 4....the 4 is more refined,more detailed,more spacious and all with the same great bass.....the 4 is simply a far better can

that would be impressive then because i thought the X sounded better then the 3, the HEK and the 009's i heard at a meet-up all on top shelf setups.

May 23, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #3,868 of 12,024
I owned the LCD2, then the LCD3 classic, then the LCD3 fazored, all for pretty long periods (all more than a year). I liked the LCD3 phones a lot.
Then I got the 4, decided that purely on basis of sonics the 4 was in a different league, and sold all the others.
(OMG the LCD4 bass! But just to be clear it's not all about that bass...)

May 24, 2016 at 12:54 AM Post #3,869 of 12,024
that would be impressive then because i thought the X sounded better then the 3, the HEK and the 009's i heard at a meet-up all on top shelf setups.

to be honest i dont think the X holds a candle to the HE1000's either.....I cant comment on the 009's....you are quite a fan of the X so you might as well stick with them and save money

May 24, 2016 at 3:28 AM Post #3,870 of 12,024
I think people need to start mentioning genres when it comes to making these comments.

My personal opinion:

HEK:
Excellent with vocals, soft rock, classical. Pretty tragic with hard hitting edm and harder rock, and don't carry enough weight for hip hop.

LCD X:
Personally one of the few cans I consider a very good all rounder minus a few vocal based performances I heard (my pair were quite recessed).

LCD 4:
Good with all, especially vocals, but lack 'thump' for hard hitting music (in general) and also lacked the fun factor for quite a few genres. From a technical standpoint though, the best Audeze have released so far and surprisingly very, very good with classical.

LCD 3: Great for all vocals, rock, hip hop and most edm, but don't particularly shine with classical.

SR009: Sound godlike if you're listening to classical music and vocals. Sound god-awful if you're listening to rock and hip hop.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back