Audeze LCD-4
Apr 28, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #3,706 of 12,024
for the record i love my hugo and think it is one of the very best products i have ever owned....i use it with my LCD-3 without issue or my HD800S...when however i use my HEK's i use the hugo with my liquid carbon and i for the most part only listen to my LCD-4 with my desktop combo....for sure you can use the LCD-4 with the hugo or any other portable source,my only point is that it really needs more power to shine and since it is such an expensive product i see no reason to use it with anything but the optimal set up

Apr 28, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #3,707 of 12,024
  for the record i love my hugo and think it is one of the very best products i have ever owned....i use it with my LCD-3 without issue or my HD800S...when however i use my HEK's i use the hugo with my liquid carbon and i for the most part only listen to my LCD-4 with my desktop combo....for sure you can use the LCD-4 with the hugo or any other portable source,my only point is that it really needs more power to shine and since it is such an expensive product i see no reason to use it with anything but the optimal set up

Well, the reason I use my Geek Out V2 with my LCD-4 (sometimes) is my Desktop Set up is in my bedroom. I use it at night when I'm in there. During the day when I'm in the basement, or when I'm travelling, using the Geek Out is my best option. I think its silly for me to only use the LCD-4 in "ideal" conditions, as during the day, or travelling, I would be without music completely, which is way worse than an LCD-4 running at 90%. Plus, using the Geek Out gives me something to look forward to at the end of the day. Sitting down and relaxing with my good set up. IMO headphones make the biggest difference, then amps/dacs etc..So could I buy a cheaper headphone to use during the day with my Geek Out? Sure, but it wouldn't sound as good as the LCD-4. 

Apr 28, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #3,708 of 12,024
FWIW ~

I was listening to the Melos Quartet on DG last night on my LCD4's and hearing detail I'd only heard on on SR009's previously.  It is amazing how good a CD from a 1970's recording can be.  Also puts the LCD4 in the same league as SR009 for detail IMHO.

Apr 28, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #3,709 of 12,024
Well, the reason I use my Geek Out V2 with my LCD-4 (sometimes) is my Desktop Set up is in my bedroom. I use it at night when I'm in there. During the day when I'm in the basement, or when I'm travelling, using the Geek Out is my best option. I think its silly for me to only use the LCD-4 in "ideal" conditions, as during the day, or travelling, I would be without music completely, which is way worse than an LCD-4 running at 90%. Plus, using the Geek Out gives me something to look forward to at the end of the day. Sitting down and relaxing with my good set up. IMO headphones make the biggest difference, then amps/dacs etc..So could I buy a cheaper headphone to use during the day with my Geek Out? Sure, but it wouldn't sound as good as the LCD-4. 

whatever works for you

Apr 29, 2016 at 3:19 AM Post #3,710 of 12,024
  Mine came with the single ended blue cable. I'm going to see if Audeze would do a switch out to the balanced one for me, that would be cool.

Tony at Audeze is incredibly accommodating. I'm pretty sure he'll allow a swap.

Apr 29, 2016 at 4:11 AM Post #3,711 of 12,024
Why they didn't just include a balanced cable and an adapter to SE is beyond me... that should be the standard for premium cans.

Apr 29, 2016 at 6:11 AM Post #3,713 of 12,024
When you said LCD-4 need power to shine, what difference or improvement do you get from a more powerful amp?

Quote:
  I agree with you that the LCD-4 needs power to shine. Unfortunately, I have never auditioned/paired the Moon Neo 430 nor the Yiggy, to experience first hand the dramatic improvement in the LCD4. Also, it is quite obvious that a $4k, 200 ohm pair of open planar headphones was not primarily meant for portable/transportable sources.

Apr 29, 2016 at 6:21 AM Post #3,714 of 12,024
Didn't realize the LCD-4 don't even come with balanced cable! All the other LCD models came with it, apart from the LCD-2, how stingy of them!

Quote:
  Mine came with the single ended blue cable. I'm going to see if Audeze would do a switch out to the balanced one for me, that would be cool. If not I'll probably look into a cable from Norne audio or something. Till then Im just using the original Audeze balanced cable, and happily so. 

Apr 29, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #3,716 of 12,024
When I bought my LCD-3/X/XC over 3 years ago they all came with both and the 4 pin XLR to 1/4" jack adaptor, and that's what it 's supposed to as well according to the Audeze website, but somehow LCD-4 only comes with unbalanced cable. Kind of discriminating the rich I guess.

Quote:
  You used to be able to pick balanced or se when purchasing I thought

Apr 29, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #3,717 of 12,024
When I bought my LCD-3/X/XC over 3 years ago they all came with both and the 4 pin XLR to 1/4" jack adaptor, and that's what it 's supposed to as well according to the Audeze website, but somehow LCD-4 only comes with unbalanced cable. Kind of discriminating the rich I guess.

There's a pretty big difference between the very basic stock cables that Audeze supply with the LCD-3, X and XC and the very nice cable that is included with the LCD-4.

That said, it'd be nice if they supplied an XLR to 1/4" adapter cable as well.

Apr 29, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #3,718 of 12,024
mine came with both the balanced and 1/4 cable....FWIIW

May 1, 2016 at 2:58 AM Post #3,719 of 12,024
After going back and forth extensively between my Violectric V281 and Auralic Taurus mkii with the LCD 4, and after a variety of dac swapping to eliminate additional variables - in my opinion the Taurus is the far superior amp with this headphone.

While the v281 is the more powerful amp, and presents explosive bass and a very muscular presentation, I still feel the treble is too rolled off with this headphone, and I am losing details. The trade off with the Taurus is more extended, yet still silky smooth treble, a bigger soundstage, and more pinpoint imaging - but I initially missed some of the bass I was getting with the v281 when on the Taurus.

I have a 50 ft cable run between my NAD m51 and the Taurus, and was using bargain XLR cable for the run. Switched out the bargain cable for 50 ft Mogami XLR interconnects, and instantly everything fell into place. Background is dead silent, bass is significantly more muscular and emphatic, whereas the treble is just as sweet and extended. IMHO, this is now the best headphone I ever heard both musically and technically. With my LCD 3F I enjoyed it with certain genres better than my Stax 009, but there was never any doubt that the Stax was the technically superior headphone. In this current set up, I both enjoy the LCD 4 more and think it's technically superior to my Stax 009. Big caveat: this only compares the 009 amped through my 717 (a modest but synergistic combo because of the amps warmth). I have heard the 009 through a WES as well, but it was a while ago and don't remember it well enough to compare to my LCD 4 rig.

Bottom line - I think I've finally reachd end game, and I'm loving this LCD 4 setup. I was thinking of potentially upgrading the dac, but with the Regen, the RefLink using AES,. and the Mogami balanced cables - I am really now only hearing the full potential of the NAD. While it may be a littler older, and it would be cool to have native dsd, this is really a fantastic DAC.

This is the sound I have been going for since I've gotten into this hobby. It's just so balanced yet lively, explosive bass yet controlled, and extended highs and excellent resolution, but not a hint of shrillness or digital glare.

I've found the exact tone, texture, balance, and soundstage I've always wanted - and, for the first time - don't feel like even the tiniest thing is lacking from a sonic perspective.

May 1, 2016 at 3:21 AM Post #3,720 of 12,024
Anyone tried the LCD-4 with the Studio Six yet? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back