Audeze LCD-3, Poor Man's Stax SR 009 ?
Jun 20, 2012 at 8:01 AM Post #106 of 153
@Hoax: If you're talking about soundstage, the SR007 is actually not very wide. It definitely feels more 'cramped' than the spacious sounding SR009. But what it does do well is pinpoint imaging - instruments are very clearly identified at their exact points in the headstage, such that it seems like there is a small sphere of music around your head. 

Jun 20, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #107 of 153
Quote:
@Hoax: If you're talking about soundstage, the SR007 is actually not very wide. It definitely feels more 'cramped' than the spacious sounding SR009. But what it does do well is pinpoint imaging - instruments are very clearly identified at their exact points in the headstage, such that it seems like there is a small sphere of music around your head. 

Thanks for the info :)

Correct me if im wrong but from what I've heard the SR007 have deeper bass and can hit harder than the SR009 right?

Jun 20, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #110 of 153
Least efficient, most passive sounding of the Stax line.  I owned one for four years.  Powerful bass and attack would not be how I described it.

Jun 20, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #111 of 153
Quote:
Least efficient, most passive sounding of the Stax line.  I owned one for four years.  Powerful bass and attack would not be how I described it.

Hmmm so if i want the pros from the stax (imaging and a good soundstage) And I want the pros of the LCD (a thick sound with heavy impact and bass) .. Is there any other Stax model I should look at or should I not be looking at Audeze or Stax at all ? Is there a headphone combining exactly what I described above ?

Jun 20, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #113 of 153
Quote:
You should just get both.

You mean a LCD + a 007? Well so far its seems im heading that way .. I cant afford to ditch my LCD2 for a 3 and then also get a SR007 though ..

Guess I would just settle with my LCD-2 (which im quite happy with) and then get the SR007 for other purposes or kind of movies, The Sr007 + amp still cost a fortune though
frown.gif

Jun 20, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #115 of 153
Quote:
Thanks for the info :)

Correct me if im wrong but from what I've heard the SR007 have deeper bass and can hit harder than the SR009 right?

yeah definitely not. now granted i heard them very far apart, but headphone impressions of that sort dont really fade. the O2s are very polite and soft, is how i would describe them, they might have very good bass, but it lacks any sort of impact. The Sr-009s while they might not have as much apparent bass since the highs are tipped up to be more neutral than the O2s, they do have signifcantly more bass impact. So long story short i couldnt stand the O2s, cause the LCD-2s were just so much better, even though the O2s had way better technicalites. But then after i heard the Sr-009s...its like they have it all! though not quite as much bass as the LCDs do, its enough for me at least, and the rest of it being so much better makes up for it

Jun 20, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #118 of 153
The KGSSHV/007 MK1’s hit every bit as hard as the Beta22/LCD-2-R2’s - only with much better detail and finesse.
I would not call them soft and polite, the HE60’s do good soft and polite.

Jun 20, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #119 of 153
Quote:

yeah definitely not. now granted i heard them very far apart, but headphone impressions of that sort dont really fade. the O2s are very polite and soft, is how i would describe them, they might have very good bass, but it lacks any sort of impact. The Sr-009s while they might not have as much apparent bass since the highs are tipped up to be more neutral than the O2s, they do have signifcantly more bass impact. So long story short i couldnt stand the O2s, cause the LCD-2s were just so much better, even though the O2s had way better technicalites. But then after i heard the Sr-009s...its like they have it all! though not quite as much bass as the LCDs do, its enough for me at least, and the rest of it being so much better makes up for it

Yeah, I heard both the 007s & 009s at a demo where I could do a direct A/B test of the phones, trying one then the other back and forth, and I heard the same as SoupRKnowva did. Nice clear description there.
Images are more palpable and rounded on the 009s too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back