Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Apr 19, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #691 of 6,388
Quote:
Regarding sound/mix/mastering (and music :) quality I highly recommend you Michael Jackson "Off the Wall". Better than "Thriller" on all levels IMO.
ZoomButt.gif

I trust you on this one, so do you recommend the original version or is the 2001 remastered version good as well ?  Thank you for the information.  Always happy to find good recordings for enjoying good audio equipment :)

Apr 19, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #692 of 6,388
Don't be afraid to try In The Country - Sounds & Sights. Great album produced in a great studio, and with a swell Brothers In Arms cover that is something else.

Apr 21, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #693 of 6,388
I trust you on this one, so do you recommend the original version or is the 2001 remastered version good as well ?
unquote

Good question, it's an ALAC rip that I have made years ago so can't tell you...

Apr 23, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #695 of 6,388
Quote:
Hello Head-fiers and LCD-3 owners,

I've just received my pair (leather pads) yesterday !

After several years spent with the HD650, I wanted something that would improve significantly the sound quality AND the enjoyment.  Since I had never listened to any Audeze headphones before purchasing them (didn't get the opportunity where I live), I was a bit worried not to really like them when they would enter my house ...

First of all, I was expecting them to be less comfortable than the HD650: I was wrong.  It's even more comfortable !

Then, I was thinking they would make the bass a bit fuller and more enjoyable: I was wrong again.  The bass on the LCD-3 is HUGELY fuller than on the 650 (and I mean it, I'm not the one to call a slight difference a big difference, quite the opposite actually).

Also, I was hoping that the medium and treble would be as close as possible as on the 650: my hope was absurd.  While not far apart, they are still different enough not to find the LCD sound like an HD650 I love so much.  But the treat is that I prefer the LCD-3 after comparing them !  All I can say is that the LCD-3 is more engaging to listen to and more detailed at the same time.  I even had not dreamt it would be possible !  I am truly impressed, cause I thought it would have taken me days or even weeks to take pleasure in another sound than the one I've been used to for years now.  And it only took me a little more than an hour.  The first hour, as I thought, was having me fighting to like them because I had been listening so much to a different sound before.

Last of all, I want to thank you all head-fiers and reviewers (especially Tyll Hertsens from innerfidelity) since I bought the LCD-3 only based upon your opinions and comparisons with the Senn sound.  And of course, I thank the Audeze team !

Thanks, these are good impressions for a HD-650 owner like me. Could you expand on how the LCD-3 are different from the HD-650?

Thanks,

Paul

Apr 23, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #696 of 6,388
Quote:

So, would that also be the case for Nirvana, Foo Fighters, and Led Zeppelin?

Haha, we listen to the same music :-D
Just yesterday listened to Nirvana's 20th Aniversary Nevermind and Bleach Japanesse editions (imported) and remebered a bit of childhood, Foo FIghters (Wasting light) The Doors (24/96 HD tracks). Today listened to some Led Zep, Deep Purple, Floyd and Dylan and few local folk rock bands that I'm sure no one knows. Great times, LCD-3 just rocks with all those bands.
I have HD800 also near me modded with anax 2.0 mod, better than stock, but still those are nowhere near the LCD-3 performance on acoustic music. The tone, the weight and the contour of the instruments that LCD-3 posess is just unique.
I love how LCD-3 makes music and not sounds.

Apr 23, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #697 of 6,388
Quote:
Haha, we listen to the same music :-D
Just yesterday listened to Nirvana's 20th Aniversary Nevermind and Bleach Japanesse editions (imported) and remebered a bit of childhood, Foo FIghters (Wasting light) The Doors (24/96 HD tracks). Today listened to some Led Zep, Deep Purple, Floyd and Dylan and few local folk rock bands that I'm sure no one knows. Great times, LCD-3 just rocks with all those bands.
I have HD800 also near me modded with anax 2.0 mod, better than stock, but still those are nowhere near the LCD-3 performance on acoustic music. The tone, the weight and the contour of the instruments that LCD-3 posess is just unique.
I love how LCD-3 makes music and not sounds.

That's good to know. Although, I most often listen to Jazz and Blues... but sometimes Rock, Indie Rock, and Punk. e.g Clash, Green Day, Muse, Killers, Kasabian, Kings of Leon, etc.

The HD-650s that I have are probably at their least effective with Zep/Foo/Nirvana and of course Van Halen, even though they're not bad with any of them.

Apr 23, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #698 of 6,388
And on the subject of Led Zep, my favourite album is still Presence, which I bought on vinyl when it was first released.

Robert Plant doesn't like it, as he was injured at the time it was recorded,  but I think that Jimmy Page's playing on it is bluesier and better than any of their other albums.

Apr 23, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #699 of 6,388
^ absolutely. Couldn't agree more about Presence and JP's playing. Surprised the hell out of one of my friends who is more of a Clapton fan.

Apr 23, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #700 of 6,388
Achilles Last Stand isn't just the best Led Zep song written, it may be the best SONG written.

Apr 23, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #701 of 6,388
+1 :wink:. Strange it's just about their least popular album. It's full of great tracks and tight playing. 'Tea for one' is one of my all-time favorites too.

Apr 23, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #702 of 6,388
Hello,

And thank you RedBull.  Yes, I am very happy indeed.

As written in my signature, I'm amping the LCD-3 with a Burson Soloist.  And you can also have an idea of the music I'm listening through them thanks to my signature.  But I will just add one artist (and two albums from him): Michael Jackson, "Thriller" and "Bad".  Okaaaayyy, nothing really original there, but hey: Have you really heard how good those two albums sound ?  Quincy Jones must be kidding me !  How come that mastering that good is even possible ?

Thank you for reading and for asking :)

Oops, I cant see your signature on the mobile version, sorry.
Hmm, I was trying 3 with lehmann bcl i didn't get a good treble at all, it's totally mia. Was it the veil version? In the store also there is Mjolnir amp, I think I also have to try that one out one day.

Apr 23, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #703 of 6,388
Apr 24, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #705 of 6,388
I have upgraded from hd-650 to lcd-3 with quite a similar music preference as you Paul. For me it is like the 650s are nice gear to own whereas the lcd is a hobby/addiction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back