Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Mar 9, 2015 at 5:19 AM Post #3,556 of 6,388
  How dark are the LCD-3s, fazored and unfazored? 

I have a LCD-2 rev 2 right now, and I'm playing with the idea of getting a LCD-3 if it can offer better soundstage/imaging/details while still remaining "dark".

I've tried the LCD-X, and while I enjoyed aspects of it compared to the rev 2, I missed the dark brooding feel that the LCD-2 has. Where does the LCD-3 stand?

Any feedback appreciated, thanks.

If anything for an upgrade and still stay with the sound sig you like - the LCD-3C would be the way to go.  However, the LCD-2.2 might just be your sweet spot.  (stay there)

Mar 9, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #3,557 of 6,388

I have a LCD-2 rev 2 right now, and I'm playing with the idea of getting a LCD-3 if it can offer better soundstage/imaging/details while still remaining "dark".

I've tried the LCD-X, and while I enjoyed aspects of it compared to the rev 2, I missed the dark brooding feel that the LCD-2 has. Where does the LCD-3 stand?

Agree with Badas, I have both and occasionally flit between the two, I always end back with the 3F's. They have a more intimate and sophisticated sound, very musical and rewarding. The X's have a wider soundstage and when I listen I can clearly understand why they appeal to the studio market. The 3F's are my favourite headphone period.

Mar 9, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #3,558 of 6,388

I went from the 2.2 (love their sound) to the 3F, they're better in every department. If not for the Abyss I'd be using the 3F right now; amazing cans.

The X sounded lifeless to my ears, missing the coherence and lushness of the 3F (and 2.2). FWIW, I was comparing 2.2, X and 3F at the same time (and the Abyss).

Mar 9, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #3,559 of 6,388

I went from the 2.2 (love their sound) to the 3F, they're better in every department. If not for the Abyss I'd be using the 3F right now; amazing cans.

The X sounded lifeless to my ears, missing the coherence and lushness of the 3F (and 2.2). FWIW, I was comparing 2.2, X and 3F at the same time (and the Abyss).

Agree with the coherence. I had exactly the same impression - that 3s are better than Xs in this department. Lushness I associate both with a good and a bad thing - good is the sweetness of sound, bad is 'closeness' in the meaning of "too little air". Maybe these two things cannot be separated. I am missing air in LCD-3s, otherwise it would be a perfect headphone for me.

Mar 9, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #3,560 of 6,388
I have listened to them all. In my opinion the LCD3 is the LCD2 with more air and detail. Still holds that lush mid-range. Not as much as the LCD2 tho.

The LCD-X is a LCD2 or 3 mixed with a HD800. A lot brighter and loses the mid-range. In my opinion the signature is going the wrong way. However I can see why others love it.

I love the LCD3. With all my headgear purchases I still can't believe I don't have a second set of headphones. I just can't see myself liking anything different.
rolleyes.gif

Good summary.

I would add that the LCD-3f has a sub-bass that the Rev 2 or LCD-2f does not reproduce. The LCD-2f might provide a tad more visceral experience in the lows (at a loss of an amount of separation and detail)....old Rev 2 has less detail but more slam. You will really notice the extra detail that is captured with the LCD-3f if you switch back to the LCD-2 after some time away. I started with the Rev 2 and then the 2f...the LCD-3f gets the system time these days. That sub bass and detail in the end proved more addictive. 

For the LCD-Rev 2...I really loved the Rev 2. I had this one as the everything headphone for around 5 years. The can as you mentioned was a darker and more aggressive LCD. They received some bad press on the forum due to some initial driver failures but were a really amazing headphone with the right type of music (electronic, rock, metal, and in reality many other genres). The soundstage was not as large, presentation was more "I am in the room with the band" but the synergy with aggressive music, man, better than any headphone I have owned.  I had a driver fail on me after 5 years of heavy usage...had them upgraded with new 2f drivers. While waiting on the upgrade/fix I added in the LCD-3f. The LCD-3f gets the play time in my system but there are still many days that I miss the old Rev 2 when I just want to rock out a bit...at the 3f level there is enough detail that you lose a bit of the "wall of sound" effect used in some heavier music. 

If you can, I would keep the Rev2 and add an LCD-3f. The LCD-3f sound signature is a significant enough of a change that it would provide a contrast in listening sessions.  The change between the 2f and the 3f is more micro detail and sub-bass but the overall signature is more similar. LCD-3f would likely win you over in the end...you miss the details once you hear them.  

This of course depends on the music you like and then the rest of your chain...amps, source, etc.  The LCD-3f benefit is more apparent the farther you move up the chain.

I upgraded amps once I went with the 3f...full tube amp which has been a fun experience.

What sounds right to you is what is right for you. You could always listen to some Senns if you decide to stop enjoying music. (just kidding)

Mar 10, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #3,561 of 6,388
Uhm folks, Audeze need to start paying attention to QC more, for such an expensive headphone, I already had problems with the padding which is sort of fixed now, but even worse is when you can't hear anything, so my cable has bad connectivity on the left side, and now I need to either fix the cable which is also going to be a quick fix or something, but I'd better buy a better quality cable, is there any cable that can last a long time (I guess braided cable is good for that) I need it to be at least as good as stock but better preferable, I'm talking about $50-$75 tops I don't wanna deal with silly cables costing fortune any tips?

Mar 10, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #3,562 of 6,388
  Uhm folks, Audeze need to start paying attention to QC more, for such an expensive headphone, I already had problems with the padding which is sort of fixed now, but even worse is when you can't hear anything, so my cable has bad connectivity on the left side, and now I need to either fix the cable which is also going to be a quick fix or something, but I'd better buy a better quality cable, is there any cable that can last a long time (I guess braided cable is good for that) I need it to be at least as good as stock but better preferable, I'm talking about $50-$75 tops I don't wanna deal with silly cables costing fortune any tips?

Sorry to hear that you're having troubles. Personally I've never had any issues with my LCD-3F's and it's been well over a year. Cheers

Mar 10, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #3,563 of 6,388
  Sorry to hear that you're having troubles. Personally I've never had any issues with my LCD-3F's and it's been well over a year. Cheers

Yeah, and I'm even taking care of them, hell, I'm not even wearing them after shower until I get somewhat dry and I try to keep the cable straight that's what I'm saying, for a company claiming they are making the products in america, it's just not good enough for the price.

Mar 10, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #3,564 of 6,388

Yeah, and I'm even taking care of them, hell, I'm not even wearing them after shower until I get somewhat dry and I try to keep the cable straight that's what I'm saying, for a company claiming they are making the products in america, it's just not good enough for the price.

What exactly has happen? I can't work it out.

Is it the cable that is broken or the connection?

Stay with it dude. They are very nice headphones.

Mar 10, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #3,565 of 6,388
I can't work out whether vampire was joking about "somewhat dry" (after showering).

Probably was, but if not I'm thinking damp hair and hps don't mix!

Mar 10, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #3,566 of 6,388
I can't work out whether vampire was joking about "somewhat dry" (after showering).

What!?! Dude, I wear mine in the shower. They're waterproof right?

***snicker***

Mar 10, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #3,567 of 6,388
Course they are :wink: :D

Mar 10, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #3,568 of 6,388

Somewhat dry, like about 15 minutes after shower, the driver is not the problem, the cable is. How sh ould I explain it, if you move the left channel cable part that's near the caps a bit it will just stop playing in the left ear, yeah...

Mar 10, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #3,569 of 6,388
Hmm yes that does sound like probably a bad connection. But where?

Is it going back to Audez'e or you - judging by your cable question - think it's the cable?

Not good, whatever it is...

Mar 10, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #3,570 of 6,388

Somewhat dry, like about 15 minutes after shower, the driver is not the problem, the cable is. How sh ould I explain it, if you move the left channel cable part that's near the caps a bit it will just stop playing in the left ear, yeah...

Yes. Likely cable. Beware it could be connection.

I did this once. My fault. I stood on my cable and moved causing it to rip hard on the cable. It wrecked the cable at the connection end. I replaced the cable (I just purchased 3 Audeze cables) and I was away again.
gs1000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back