Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Feb 5, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #3,511 of 6,388

In terms of soundstage/air/detail? 

Everything was improved with the tubes - I have no problem with this headphone anymore - its sounds beautiful out of the WA5 with EML300b. Pop - Funk and soul music sound amazing....... which is what I wanted,. sometimes the HD800 can be a tad too harsh on old soul records e.g - "Lady Soul" ...... the LCD3 clear it all up. Very impressed and I take back everything I said before about congested sound stage. I really just didn't have it amped properly. 

Great for rock as well and I agree with what Rumay said  - it is better than HD800 for most rock. Some really well recorded albums like Porcupine tree sound better on HD800 but for classics like Zeppelin and Deep Purple I prefer LCD3. 

I will try some Louis Prima now a report back ..... HD800 is better for most jazz IMO but some stuff like - Billie Holiday and Louis might be better on LCD3, I will find out soon. 

Feb 5, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #3,512 of 6,388
I've been going back and forth between wanting to buy the LCD-X and the LCD-3 and just can't make up my mind. So thought I would post and ask here.

The music I listen to is EDM, hard rock, pop and some movie soundtracks.

I also need to use these for doing some audio mixing. This is the part where I am torn about which would be the best for me. I've had a number of people say that the LCD-X would be the better choice for mixing. But now that the 3 has the fazor technology, might it be a good choice for what I'm trying to do as well?

Currently, I have the Asgard 2 amp with the Uber Bifrost DAC. I'm hoping it will drive it for now. Shortly, I will pick something else up. Considering the Ragnarok and others.

By the way, is there a way to contact Audeze by phone? Another concern I have is that I am outside of the United States. I cannot afford to have a headphone sent to me that has not gone through very strict quality control checks. The cost of having it brought in and then having to send it back out and bring it back in again for repairs would be inordinately expensive.

Any thoughts or help would be much appreciated. 

Feb 5, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #3,514 of 6,388
  Everything was improved with the tubes - I have no problem with this headphone anymore - its sounds beautiful out of the WA5 with EML300b. Pop - Funk and soul music sound amazing....... which is what I wanted,. sometimes the HD800 can be a tad too harsh on old soul records e.g - "Lady Soul" ...... the LCD3 clear it all up. Very impressed and I take back everything I said before about congested sound stage. I really just didn't have it amped properly. 

Great for rock as well and I agree with what Rumay said  - it is better than HD800 for most rock. Some really well recorded albums like Porcupine tree sound better on HD800 but for classics like Zeppelin and Deep Purple I prefer LCD3. 

I will try some Louis Prima now a report back ..... HD800 is better for most jazz IMO but some stuff like - Billie Holiday and Louis might be better on LCD3, I will find out soon. 

That's certainly a glowing review. Are these the 3F?

The Ragnarok drove them wonderfully too.

Feb 5, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #3,515 of 6,388
  I've been going back and forth between wanting to buy the LCD-X and the LCD-3 and just can't make up my mind. So thought I would post and ask here.

The music I listen to is EDM, hard rock, pop and some movie soundtracks.

I also need to use these for doing some audio mixing. This is the part where I am torn about which would be the best for me. I've had a number of people say that the LCD-X would be the better choice for mixing. But now that the 3 has the fazor technology, might it be a good choice for what I'm trying to do as well?

Currently, I have the Asgard 2 amp with the Uber Bifrost DAC. I'm hoping it will drive it for now. Shortly, I will pick something else up. Considering the Ragnarok and others.

By the way, is there a way to contact Audeze by phone? Another concern I have is that I am outside of the United States. I cannot afford to have a headphone sent to me that has not gone through very strict quality control checks. The cost of having it brought in and then having to send it back out and bring it back in again for repairs would be inordinately expensive.

Any thoughts or help would be much appreciated. 

If you're going to be mastering, you need the Xs. You should never master with equipment that colours. That's akin to colour correcting photography with an uncalibrated screen - dangerous :¬)

Regarding the music genres, it's just personal preference. Musicality vs neutrality. I prefer the former, but that's got nothing to do with anyone else :¬)

Feb 5, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #3,516 of 6,388

Many rave about LCD's being amped by solid state. I have always prefered them powered by tubes. I've been using the WA22 with upgraded tubes for 6 months now. Amazing.
At the moment I'm doing a small listening session so I'm using solid state Oppo HA-1. It has lost all it's soundstage. :rolleyes: Tubes a far better. Using older LCD3c by the way.

Feb 5, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #3,517 of 6,388
If you're going to be mastering, you need the Xs. You should never master with equipment that colours. That's akin to colour correcting photography with an uncalibrated screen - dangerous :¬)

Regarding the music genres, it's just personal preference. Musicality vs neutrality. I prefer the former, but that's got nothing to do with anyone else :¬)

I agree with this comment.

The times I listened to the X I keep thinking Audeze signature combined with the HD800. It is a far lesser coloured headphone. Less buttery mid-range but accurate. A headphone I like and really thinking of adding to my collection.

Feb 5, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #3,518 of 6,388
Many rave about LCD's being amped by solid state. I have always prefered them powered by tubes. I've been using the WA22 with upgraded tubes for 6 months now. Amazing.
At the moment I'm doing a small listening session so I'm using solid state Oppo HA-1. It has lost all it's soundstage.
rolleyes.gif
Tubes a far better. Using older LCD3c by the way.

I have no experience with tubes, far less (awesome) options in the UK.

Yours and magic's comments are making me wish we had more options over here!

Feb 5, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #3,519 of 6,388
  Paddy,

Thease are the LCD-3Fs correct?

yes the 3f

Yo prep - you are the perfect person to ask...... Does the HE6 have more extension and slam harder then the LCD3f? I want a planar headphone for funk/pop music mostly and am looking for something that can hit hard on older records. Having been turned around to the Audeze sound I am now wondering about the HE6.. It is supposed to be amazing with the WA5 and might even be a better pairing with my amp for Funk/Soul/pop. 

What do you think _ I am aware you haven't heard the WA5 but you might be able to steer me in the right direction. 

That's certainly a glowing review. Are these the 3F?

The Ragnarok drove them wonderfully too.

affirmative  - 3f

Feb 5, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #3,520 of 6,388
I agree with this comment.

The times I listened to the X I keep thinking Audeze signature combined with the HD800. It is a far lesser coloured headphone. Less buttery mid-range but accurate. A headphone I like and really thinking of adding to my collection.

Does the 3 color the sound that much?

Sounds like I would love them both. But need to make a choice of just one to start with. 

Does the X make for an enjoyable headphone to listen to, as well as being a really good headphone to mix with?

I'm hoping these will be a major step up from my Mad Dog Pro's. I do really like them, but want a big step up. Anyone heard both that can comment?

Feb 5, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #3,521 of 6,388
yes the 3f

Yo prep - you are the perfect person to ask...... Does the HE6 have more extension and slam harder then the LCD3f? I want a planar headphone for funk/pop music mostly and am looking for something that can hit hard on older records. Having been turned around to the Audeze sound I am now wondering about the HE6.. It is supposed to be amazing with the WA5 and might even be a better pairing with my amp for Funk/Soul/pop. 

What do you think _ I am aware you haven't heard the WA5 but you might be able to steer me in the right direction. 
affirmative  - 3f

Ask TonyNewman about the HE-6 and WA5. He has modified the HE-6 and it sound great.

I have listened to his HE-6 a few times through the WA5 and it beats my rig by a lot. Fantastic.

Feb 5, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #3,522 of 6,388

Does the X make for an enjoyable headphone to listen to, as well as being a really good headphone to mix with?

I'm hoping these will be a major step up from my Mad Dog Pro's. I do really like them, but want a big step up. Anyone heard both that can comment?

Perhaps, rather than colour, 'promote', is a better verb to describe it. The 3F mids are slightly more forward, making the space slightly smaller, but brining more presence. 

Many people are enjoying the Xs. Some well respected reviewers have them in their collection.

Can't comment on the MDs, will leave that to someone with listening experience.

Feb 5, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #3,523 of 6,388

Sounds like I would love them both. But need to make a choice of just one to start with. 

The LCD3F's were out when I bought mine but I delibritly hunted down the non fazor. Many commented that bass and mid-range was ever slightly less on the fazor.
I just love the buttery sound of the LCD3c. However yes after listening to the HD800, HE-6 and LCDX the LCD3 is coloured so to speak. LCDX is a beautiful headphone.

Feb 5, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #3,524 of 6,388
Is it possible, do you think, that the HD800 is coloured, but with the reverse effect? 

A 'colder' representation of the music. Do analytical headphones subtract some of the warmth and essence of voices and instruments?

Who is to say where the exact 'reference' center point is?

Feb 5, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #3,525 of 6,388

Haven't heard the Mad Dog's my only reference point prior to these was a DT880 (prior to upgrading I auditioned HE-560, HE-500, PM-1, LCD-X, LCD-3F, T1, HD800). 

I agree with others here that the choice comes down to personal preference; and therefore the only sound way to choose is to audition both.

I'm a head-fi noob so don't expect any detailed frequency-tailored remarks from me on this front, I just connected to/enjoyed music more on the 3 (test tracks used for reference; Diana Krall Live in Paris - Love being here with you, SRV - Tin Pan Alley, Septic Flesh - Vampire from Nazareth, Dusty Springfield - Son of a Preacher Man, T. Chapman- Fast Car, AC/DC - Thunderstruck, Porcupine Tree - Trains, Dire Straits - Telegraph Road (Live), Leprous - Bilateral, Opeth - Goblin, Yo-Yo Ma - The Good The Bad and The Ugly, Miles Davis- Freddie Freeloader, Kayo Dot - Mortality of Doves, Massive Attack - Angel). 

Some further remarks:
- I had the impression LCD3's benefit more from a powerful amp. Although I already preferred the 3F to X on a WA7, after hearing the 3's on other amps (Transrotor, Ragnarok, Leben CS300X) it is clear that in comparison, they sound closed in and laid back on the WA7. Make sure you pair the 3's with a "properly matched" amp when auditioning (if you are willing to fork out for amping that is). 
- I found the padding on the 3 to be a bit softer / more comfortable.
- The 3F's are the heaviest 637 g compared to 611 g for the X. I didn't expect this at first but all weight ratings for 3's you find on the net are pre-fazor and hence lower @ 550g. I don't mind the weight BTW, can wear mine for hours... .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back