Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Feb 28, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #2,506 of 6,388
Haha indeed. Didnt't even guess halv of it's price.

But yea, I am experiencing this at work, a colleauge of mine tells everyone how much I payed for my lcd-3 and I allways gets funny faces and questions of what I earn lol. :p

Tell me about that, I used to get a lot of jokes too :p

Feb 28, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #2,507 of 6,388
Feb 28, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #2,508 of 6,388
The suck-out at 8kHz is not really there. This was a feature of all of the graphs of earlier LCD-3s and was to do with the positioning of the microphone and nothing to do with the headphones. Also somewhere in this thread we had a major comparison of different charts and found they all vary a little bit. But interestingly all the newer ones are either closer to the mic, or the output sound is louder as they graph is consistently shifted upwards compared to earlier ones. As was said at the time, the graph is really just to prove they tested it and not that your headset may truly have a higher level of treble at 10kHz than your friends.

I have compared a 2013 model against my 2012 and while I could convince myself there were miniscule differences here and there, there was absolutely no fundamental frequency response change between the two. And I have over-sensitive high frequency hearing (which means the HD800 are really an uncomfortable listen for me)

Feb 28, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #2,510 of 6,388
  The suck-out at 8kHz is not really there. This was a feature of all of the graphs of earlier LCD-3s and was to do with the positioning of the microphone and nothing to do with the headphones. Also somewhere in this thread we had a major comparison of different charts and found they all vary a little bit. But interestingly all the newer ones are either closer to the mic, or the output sound is louder as they graph is consistently shifted upwards compared to earlier ones. As was said at the time, the graph is really just to prove they tested it and not that your headset may truly have a higher level of treble at 10kHz than your friends.

I have compared a 2014 model against my 2012 and while I could convince myself there were miniscule differences here and there, there was absolutely no fundamental frequency response change between the two. And I have over-sensitive high frequency hearing (which means the HD800 are really an uncomfortable listen for me)

That's interesting, thank you for sharing your knowledge.
What were the differences you convinced yourself existed between the 2014 and 2012 models?

Feb 28, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #2,511 of 6,388

That's interesting, thank you for sharing your knowledge.
What were the differences you convinced yourself existed between the 2014 and 2012 models?

First of all, I realised a mistake in my original post which I will edit. My friend just got his LCD-3 but the graph is from the second half of 2013 so it makes it a 2013 model. Also to clarify what I said about differences, I convinced myself I could hear differences but they could have been in my head because I was listening so hard and swapping headphones over and over again. I thought some of the upper mid frequencies seemed slightly more forwards on the 2013 model. But honestly if the difference really did exist it was tiny. I also felt the bass was slightly stronger on the 2013 model, but once again a very tiny difference. Interestingly, where the graphs vary, which is the higher frequencies, I really couldn't detect a difference.

Feb 28, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #2,512 of 6,388

First of all, I realised a mistake in my original post which I will edit. My friend just got his LCD-3 but the graph is from the second half of 2013 so it makes it a 2013 model. Also to clarify what I said about differences, I convinced myself I could hear differences but they could have been in my head because I was listening so hard and swapping headphones over and over again. I thought some of the upper mid frequencies seemed slightly more forwards on the 2013 model. But honestly if the difference really did exist it was tiny. I also felt the bass was slightly stronger on the 2013 model, but once again a very tiny difference. Interestingly, where the graphs vary, which is the higher frequencies, I really couldn't detect a difference.

So basically no real differences. Cheers :)

Feb 28, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #2,513 of 6,388
Feb 28, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #2,514 of 6,388

If you look at Inner fidelity measurements of the LCD3 rev 2 and compare it to the older ones it is different to me.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-data-sheet-downloads

Ah those are the very first ones which had issues with the materials used infront of the drivers. My LCD 3 is from mid 2012 (August) with serial number starting 261. The graphs for mid 2012 starting 261 are still different (from Audeze) to what is being printed now. I have never heard an LCD 3 starting 231 

Feb 28, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #2,515 of 6,388

I read in a post you wrote back in 2012 that after getting a newer set of HD800 and the RMA'd LCD-3s the latter were actually brighter than the HD800 and that you felt the HD800 were more natural sounding. Do you still feel that way?

Actually, I think the brightness overall is about the same, it's more that the HD800s sound thinner but more precise with the bass more defined but also more analytical.
I like both phones but gravitate to the LCD3s for a more compelling musical experience, with a fuller sound and bigger images and more than enough detail, just not quite as detailed 
as the HD800s. I would not call the HD800s hyper-detailed though, and they have a refreshing sound that has a lot of insight.

Feb 28, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #2,516 of 6,388
  Actually, I think the brightness overall is about the same, it's more that the HD800s sound thinner but more precise with the bass more defined but also more analytical.
I like both phones but gravitate to the LCD3s for a more compelling musical experience, with a fuller sound and bigger images and more than enough detail, just not quite as detailed 
as the HD800s. I would not call the HD800s hyper-detailed though, and they have a refreshing sound that has a lot of insight.

beerchug.gif

Feb 28, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #2,517 of 6,388

Ah those are the very first ones which had issues with the materials used infront of the drivers. My LCD 3 is from mid 2012 (August) with serial number starting 261. The graphs for mid 2012 starting 261 are still different (from Audeze) to what is being printed now. I have never heard an LCD 3 starting 231 

You are correct this changes was from around 2012. I have of cause heard that the 3’s have changed in 2013 as well, but haven’t seen any official notes on that. Have you?  Mine are from 2013.

Mar 1, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #2,518 of 6,388

You are correct this changes was from around 2012. I have of cause heard that the 3’s have changed in 2013 as well, but haven’t seen any official notes on that. Have you?  Mine are from 2013.

That's what I was explaining a few posts up. The charts do look a bit different but I can hear no difference implying the changes are in the test rig that Audeze use and not in the design itself.

Mar 1, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #2,519 of 6,388
That's what I was explaining a few posts up. The charts do look a bit different but I can hear no difference implying the changes are in the test rig that Audeze use and not in the design itself.

I have listened the 2011 version with repaired drivers twice during 2012 and 2013, to compare with my currently owned 2014's version, in my ears of coz, the 2014's is more airy, more clarity, and honestly more treble as well. Both are using with mjolnir/gungnir, i need to turn up the volume to 10:30 or up for some recording for the 2011 ver so to sound more present, however, i can stay at 9:00 to 9:30 with my 2014's 3 and enjoy it very much.

IMO, i definitely hear differences between different versions of lcd3.:)

I almost pull the trigger to get the lcd-x, but i think i made the right decision to get the current version lcd-3 with my stack.they sound wonderful and "end game" to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back