Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Feb 12, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #2,431 of 6,388
Those are two entirely different animals you're asking about. The S6 is definitely one of the best sounding fully tube circuits around, but the GS-x mk2 is completely solid state and a lot less "tastefully distorted" (even-order harmonics and whatnot). I wouldn't go so far as to say the S6 is warm or anything like that, but it has an undercurrent of tubey sound.

Kojaku

P.S. I really wanna post more replies, but I wanna save my 1000th post for the "Show us your Head-Fi Station" thread xD...

LoL
You're at 999 so show the station :)

Feb 14, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #2,432 of 6,388
I'm liking the start of this friday :)

Feb 14, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #2,433 of 6,388
Smooth operator. 
wink.gif

Feb 16, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #2,434 of 6,388
Received my LCD-3s today!!!! 
biggrin.gif

I would post my FR graph, except that... I haven't received any! 
mad.gif

An email to the Audeze customer support has been sent of course.

When I first put them on they sounded a bit weird to be honest. The mids were a bit shouty, the lower treble was lacking in a way that made them sound almost veiled... quite worrying actually. But now after 30+ minutes they do sound very good indeed. Of course I'm gonna let them, along with my brain, go through some break in before making final judgments.

Oh and one more thing. Their S/N starts with 261. A little certificate that came with them says they have been examined this month. I noticed another box with LCD-3s at my retailer's that have a S/N that started with 27*.
Do you think that means anything? Where are the serial number experts here? :)

Feb 16, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #2,435 of 6,388
Received my LCD-3s today!!!! :D
I would post my FR graph, except that... I haven't received any! :mad:
An email to the Audeze customer support has been sent of course.

When I first put them on they sounded a bit weird to be honest. The mids were a bit shouty, the lower treble was lacking in a way that made them sound almost veiled... quite worrying actually. But now after 30+ minutes they do sound very good indeed. Of course I'm gonna let them, along with my brain, go through some break in before making final judgments.

Oh and one more thing. Their S/N starts with 261. A little certificate that came with them says they have been examined this month. I noticed another box with LCD-3s at my retailer's that have a S/N that started with 27*.
Do you think that means anything? Where are the serial number experts here? :)

I purchased my pair few days ago directly from Audeze, and mine serial number is also start with 261,and come without FR graph. First time to know there is some lcd3 with serial number start with 27*

Feb 16, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #2,436 of 6,388
That's interesting.
The user manual that comes with them lists the package's contents and the FR graph isn't listed. It looks like a newish manual because the LCD-X and XC are mentioned. Have Audeze stopped providing graphs with each headphone??

Feb 17, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #2,440 of 6,388
Chikolad, congrats on the LCD-3 I think once you get used to the soud you will understand that what you got is nothing short of amazing machinery. But do think about changing the DAC soon enough the burson soloist from what I understood is a very transparent amp and with it you can hear the differences of source equipment.

Also cheers :wink:

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #2,443 of 6,388
  If you had to categorize the sound of each of the Audeze' headphones how would you guys describe each one ?

Which of them would be the best "all arounders" ?

LCD-2 - Well-extended, treble a bit shelved compared to the others in the lineup. Biggest issue: grainy (read: not as lush)
LCD-3 - Super well-extended, fast, full. Biggest issue: not perceived to be as airy or neutral as the new X
LCD-X - PRaT, REALLY FAST (by comparison to the previous models), monitoring frequency response (insofar as you can call any audeze can a monitor), Biggest issue: not as full-sounding
LCD-XC - Pretty extended, Semi-Congested, VERY good sounding for a closed can. Biggest issue: Staging and imaging.

As far as the best all-rounder? I'm of the party that thinks the best all-rounder is the most neutrally voiced. Thus, the LCD-x, even though it isn't my personal favorite.

Just a quick and dirty. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask.

Kojaku

Feb 18, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #2,444 of 6,388

If you had to categorize the sound of each of the Audeze' headphones how would you guys describe each one ?

Which of them would be the best "all arounders" ?

LCD-2 - Well-extended, treble a bit shelved compared to the others in the lineup. Biggest issue: grainy (read: not as lush)
LCD-3 - Super well-extended, fast, full. Biggest issue: not perceived to be as airy or neutral as the new X
LCD-X - PRaT, REALLY FAST (by comparison to the previous models), monitoring frequency response (insofar as you can call any audeze can a monitor), Biggest issue: not as full-sounding
LCD-XC - Pretty extended, Semi-Congested, VERY good sounding for a closed can. Biggest issue: Staging and imaging.

As far as the best all-rounder? I'm of the party that thinks the best all-rounder is the most neutrally voiced. Thus, the LCD-x, even though it isn't my personal favorite.

Just a quick and dirty. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask.

Kojaku

Well, based on all the reading I've done (and, believe me I've done plenty) I'd say you have absolutely nailed the general consensus. I have waffled back and forth between the X and the 3 (currently own LCD 2, rev. 2) and I finally settled on the X which will be here tomorrow. I finally decided against the 3 but it was REALLY close. I believe the 3's are possibly due for an "update" so I'm hedging my bets. Now, I really do like my 2's quite a bit so I'm anxious to do the head to head comparison to draw my own conclusions. My main set up is the Mjolnir/Gungnir stack and the Mjolnir allows two headphones to be connected at the same time so that will facilitate switching back and forth while listening to the same music. Obviously I'm anxious to see how the real life comparison goes!

Feb 18, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #2,445 of 6,388
Well, based on all the reading I've done (and, believe me I've done plenty) I'd say you have absolutely nailed the general consensus. I have waffled back and forth between the X and the 3 (currently own LCD 2, rev. 2) and I finally settled on the X which will be here tomorrow. I finally decided against the 3 but it was REALLY close. I believe the 3's are possibly due for an "update" so I'm hedging my bets. Now, I really do like my 2's quite a bit so I'm anxious to do the head to head comparison to draw my own conclusions. My main set up is the Mjolnir/Gungnir stack and the Mjolnir allows two headphones to be connected at the same time so that will facilitate switching back and forth while listening to the same music. Obviously I'm anxious to see how the real life comparison goes!

I also happen to think that a lot of people suffer from improperly amping their LCD-3s. I think they really need 1) a LOT of current (not pure voltage swing) and 2) a NEUTRAL audio chain. I lean toward the musical because I went for a completely neutral setup when I had HD800s and was left wanting a bit more toe-tapping. The LCD-3 fed correctly is more appealing to me than the LCD-X, but then again, I spent a good amount of time with neutrality. As far as performance goes, I'd say the LCD-X is definitely the better "performing" can, though.

Kojaku

Users who are viewing this thread

Back