Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Jan 25, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #1,892 of 7,335
Yeah I hear that. Senns are rather dark but I didn't remember them as dark as the LCD 2c's.

I think you'll find a significant change in the sound. Frankly I think the Mjolnir is overdoing it, I have a Vali2 and my xc's sound fantastic, I can't imagine much better. You might consider a Magni3 for the extra power.

Have fun~
I actually originally ordered a Valhalla 2 and then decided to upgrade because of shipping delay on the Valhalla 2 and also felt the bigger amp would drive my high impedance HD650s better. The way things seem to be heading I think I will prefer the LCD2C more than the HD650. Now as peeps know the Mjolnir is delayed too but oh well....

I have this teeny tiny suspicion. Maybe, just maybe us guys the have the Mjolnir on back order just might be being delayed because the SchiitOMatic Machine SpitterOuter just might spring a big surprise on us and substitute our orders for a new model.... Now look what I've gone. Started a rumor. :) By next week Schiit will be flooded with emails asking about a secret new model.

The LCD2C are sounding better today for whatever reason.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #1,893 of 7,335
Hi Guys
Anyone hear got the LCD2-C and a current-ish LCD4. I want to know if the LCD4 is better, in what areas and by how much. Realise it's diminishing returns hear, but if the LCD4 is more of the good stuff in this LCD2-C I may just have to get the suckers.

Jan 25, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #1,894 of 7,335
Damn that sucks. Time to contact Audeze and yell at them for sucking.

Damb, I thought Audeze had sorted the build issues, maybe not? I hope this is a rare instance guys.

Jan 25, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #1,895 of 7,335
The LCD-4 current drivers are incredible. It’s a better headphone but by how much depends on you. It’s better in most areas Bass sounds similar in texture there’s only so much low distortion and texture a headphone can produce so I’d say they’re close in that aspect but are surprisingly dynamics and impactful for being a planar headphone.

The Classic gives you that taste of what Audeze can do when they’re not putting out poor revisions due to not being able to get the drivers consistent so hopefully it’s positive moving forward.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #1,896 of 7,335
Damb, I thought Audeze had sorted the build issues, maybe not? I hope this is a rare instance guys.
Price wise I guarantee you that the LCD4 is not worth 6.66666666666666667 times the LCD-2C. It's not even 2x better, let alone 1.5x better for that price. However, I haven't heard so I can't really say lol. I definitely hope that is a rare instance.

Jan 25, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #1,897 of 7,335
I noticed that Roon now has the dedicated 2C preset. Giving that a try now. Linear and 100% wet.

Given that Roon still doesn't support Tidal MQA decoding/first unfolding, are you hearing an appreciable difference or improvement in your 2C now?

I want to take advantage of a Roon trial, but don't want to start until Tidal MQA decoding goes live sometime in the near future.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #1,898 of 7,335
Price wise I guarantee you that the LCD4 is not worth 6.66666666666666667 times the LCD-2C. It's not even 2x better, let alone 1.5x better for that price. However, I haven't heard so I can't really say lol. I definitely hope that is a rare instance.

"I haven't heard so I can't really say"

(busted a gut laughing at that)

"Of all the headphones I haven't heard, this is by far the best!"

seriously, this would be no fun if we'd all heard every HP under discussion. there would only be 3 possible responses to post:
  1. I agree with your sound impressions
  2. I disagree " " "
  3. Your hearing obviously sucks--and so do you

Jan 25, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #1,899 of 7,335
As we as I know it’s the same - 3 years, which resets in the event of a driver failure. So if your drivers fail on 3 years you get another three years from the date of repair. In fact even if they fail out of warranty and you have to pay for a replacement, you then get a 3 year warranty from that date. That’s not bad at all I would say - considering you also get a free upgrade to the latest version of the drivers at the time of repair. Not quite the same as ZMF’s lifetime warranty, but that’s not transferable.

Don't put too much of your faith in a lifetime warranty thing. In a real world, there is no such a thing. It means a company provides warranty as long as it is in business...
Also, a lifetime guarantee increases the cost of doing business exponentially overtime, which increases the likelihood of going out business in a long run.
Fortunately, it is unlikely for ZMF as warranty is not transferable, and we like to trade our gears in a used market. But at the same time, a used market value is likely to suffer.. just my cents.

Jan 25, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #1,900 of 7,335
I'm back and this time in Balanced, final stop for the LCD-2C will stay pair with the Sony PHA-3 for years :gs1000smile:
10059790_thumb.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_6260C.jpg
    DSC_6260C.jpg
    479.8 KB · Views: 0
Jan 25, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #1,901 of 7,335
Given that Roon still doesn't support Tidal MQA decoding/first unfolding, are you hearing an appreciable difference or improvement in your 2C now?

I want to take advantage of a Roon trial, but don't want to start until Tidal MQA decoding goes live sometime in the near future.

I only got to put an hour in so far, but I think it's done well with the right approach. Nothing irritating either. I need more time to get used to it. I prefer Audeze's touch over Sonarworks.

Jan 25, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #1,903 of 7,335
Just ordered one and then read this...oh god, did they take care of you?

He'll be taken care of - just like how I was able to get my LCD2.2 drivers replaced 2.5 years into the 3 year warranty (with another 3 year warranty on the 2016 fazor driver replacements).

But you know what, it does sound like they're just putting their NOS LCD 2.2 drivers back into production because we haven't heard of many if any driver problems post fazor.

Jan 26, 2018 at 12:26 AM Post #1,904 of 7,335
He'll be taken care of - just like how I was able to get my LCD2.2 drivers replaced 2.5 years into the 3 year warranty (with another 3 year warranty on the 2016 fazor driver replacements).

But you know what, it does sound like they're just putting their NOS LCD 2.2 drivers back into production because we haven't heard of many if any driver problems post fazor.

There were definitely problems with fazors. I once owned a used 2016 Aluminum LCD-2, but it took me probably 3+ months of actively searching daily on all the classifieds to find the right one at the right price. In my quest of doing so I talked to many potential sellers and found around a half dozen sets that had not just one, but multiple driver replacements (one was on the 4th set of drivers) done, and these were all 2016 models, so not more than a year of ownership. So yeah, I am still going to buy the LCD2C but in the back of my mind I am going to fully expect a driver failure in the first year or two, which is fine I guess since I have a lot of other cans and the LCD2C wouldn't be a main headphone in my collection. But on the plus side all these owners that had replacement drivers were positive about Audeze CS and didn't have issues getting the drivers replaced, so there's that.

Jan 26, 2018 at 12:32 AM Post #1,905 of 7,335
There were definitely problems with fazors. I once owned a used 2016 Aluminum LCD-2, but it took me probably 3+ months of actively searching daily on all the classifieds to find the right one at the right price. In my quest of doing so I talked to many potential sellers and found around a half dozen sets that had not just one, but multiple driver replacements (one was on the 4th set of drivers) done, and these were all 2016 models, so not more than a year of ownership. So yeah, I am still going to buy the LCD2C but in the back of my mind I am going to fully expect a driver failure in the first year or two, which is fine I guess since I have a lot of other cans and the LCD2C wouldn't be a main headphone in my collection. But on the plus side all these owners that had replacement drivers were positive about Audeze CS and didn't have issues getting the drivers replaced, so there's that.

Ironically, a driver failure in a year or two is a good news as you will be covered by warranty.
But If it does not fail around two and half year, it makes an owner nervous....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back