Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Dec 31, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #1,351 of 7,335
The earpads on the Audeze LCD-2 Classic absolutely seal. However, that pressure is relieved fairly quickly. Think of lifting a washcloth out of water. It sucks on the water surface, but the water drains out of it after you lift it up.

These are actually pretty open, despite that initial seal. And the sound signature doesn't change dramatically if you slightly break the seal like some headphones. It's almost a more balanced sound, if I'm honest. Glasses wearers need not worry.
Truth, these do not need a perfect seal on the pad side. Even a moderately sized seal break doesn’t change the sound too much.

Also, I can recommend to those with the 2c’s to try the LCD-2 setting on the Reveal plugin. I haven’t listened enough for listening impressions, but I would say it’s an improvement. According to Audeze, the 2c setting on Revel is in the works.

Does anyone have any experience with the 2C on the JDSLabs Element?

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #1,352 of 7,335
I hear a weird popping noise when you press the pads down for a good seal. I think its pressure popping the diaphragm because of the super tight seal. Could this possibly contribute to frequent driver failure? Very strange and I have heard mention of it with multiple Audeze models.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Dec 31, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #1,354 of 7,335
I hear a weird popping noise when you press the pads down for a good seal. I think its pressure popping the diaphragm because of the super tight seal. Could this possibly contribute to frequent driver failure? Very strange and I have heard mention of it with multiple Audeze models.

Take care of it like a little baby

Dec 31, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #1,355 of 7,335

Yup. Perhaps @Audeze can clarify if it's an issue.

Mine make a little crinkle any time I put them on. I assume it's the diaphragms/drivers.

Dec 31, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #1,357 of 7,335
I was curious about this crinkle thing and I don't think mine does that. When i put the headphones on the pads engulf my years and everything is comfy and I can't seem to make out any sort of noise going on in there except my hair touching parts of the pad or something like that. I did notice there is some light seal when I take off the headphones.

Dec 31, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #1,358 of 7,335
After a few days of listening to my pair (with my other pair is the Grado GS2000e), I can say if you are looking for excellent low-end response, but don't mind the darker sound signature on the high-end, then pick these up. My GS2000e wins if you want high-end presence, but sucks if you want the low-end slam on electronic recordings.

Even with the darker signature, I found them to be just darn good to listen music thru for hours. It won't win on details, but it does win on music enjoyment.

Dec 31, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #1,359 of 7,335
I was curious about this crinkle thing and I don't think mine does that. When i put the headphones on the pads engulf my years and everything is comfy and I can't seem to make out any sort of noise going on in there except my hair touching parts of the pad or something like that. I did notice there is some light seal when I take off the headphones.

With mine, it's more of a pop than a crinkle. Take the headphones off and press the pads against each other. You should hear a distinct popping noise coming out of the back of the driver. It's almost certainly the diaphragm flexing / popping. My question is whether or not it's a design flaw that contributes to the high driver failure rate for the LCD series.

Dec 31, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #1,360 of 7,335
With mine, it's more of a pop than a crinkle. Take the headphones off and press the pads against each other. You should hear a distinct popping noise coming out of the back of the driver. It's almost certainly the diaphragm flexing / popping. My question is whether or not it's a design flaw that contributes to the high driver failure rate for the LCD series.
I tested mine to see if the pop is there, but I don't have any issue like that at all.

Dec 31, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #1,361 of 7,335
does anyone here pick this over hd800s as the only can?

Dec 31, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #1,364 of 7,335
I have to agree with this, I had a similar experience going from a moderately powerful amp to a speaker amp with my old LCD-2.2 several years ago. I’m not one to think infinite headroom makes any difference, but I definitely believed it helped my LCD-2 go from kinda dull to not dull in the slightest.

In fact, I wonder how an Emotiva BasX A100 would fair with the 2c. It has an internal jumper that allows you to output full power to the front headphone out.

The old Emotiva Mini-x paired quite well with the LCD-2 off the speaker taps.

Jan 1, 2018 at 12:26 AM Post #1,365 of 7,335
Truth, these do not need a perfect seal on the pad side. Even a moderately sized seal break doesn’t change the sound too much.

Also, I can recommend to those with the 2c’s to try the LCD-2 setting on the Reveal plugin. I haven’t listened enough for listening impressions, but I would say it’s an improvement. According to Audeze, the 2c setting on Revel is in the works.

Does anyone have any experience with the 2C on the JDSLabs Element?

i ran it off the element, high gain mode (not sure which gain setting i had but whatever default was). sounded great. felt like it was doing a good job providing the power. i normally run them off the cayin iha-6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back