Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Dec 30, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #12,406 of 13,140
That is why I suggested Carbon fiber. Still can have the high end look, but lose 80-100 grams easily. At the moment they are just unpleasant to listen to for more than 30 minutes. Not to mention EQ is a requirement. Not that is an issue for me, I EQ all my headphones, just at $1000 I would expect better tuning across the frequency.

That will be an expensive 100 grams given that carbon fiber is ten times the price of aluminum. Plus, for many people that savings in weight will still be too heavy. I find people start to be concerned about the weight starting at 450 grams, while Audeze has headphones weighing as much as 760 grams.

Dec 30, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #12,408 of 13,140
I recognize that the weight is a real issue for many people which is why it is not unusual to hear another owner point it out as problematic, but I guess it somehow doesn’t weigh on me because I had anticipated with a small amount of dread before I bought mine last year it might be a killer for me, but I use them daily for hours at work and I honestly forget the weight, which is unquestionably more than most of my other headphones, as it just seems to be distributed well enough to not be a problem for me.

Dec 30, 2020 at 10:28 PM Post #12,409 of 13,140
I recognize that the weight is a real issue for many people which is why it is not unusual to hear another owner point it out as problematic, but I guess it somehow doesn’t weigh on me because I had anticipated with a small amount of dread before I bought mine last year it might be a killer for me, but I use them daily for hours at work and I honestly forget the weight, which is unquestionably more than most of my other headphones, as it just seems to be distributed well enough to not be a problem for me.

Agreed. Fit, weight distribution, and clamp all contribute to making the headphones feel heavy or feel light. And, of course, there's personal preference. For me, stability on the head is the biggest factor for comfort. My ears can touch the drivers, the headphones can clamp hard, they can weigh a good 800 grams no sweat, but if they slide around when I move my head, then I get annoyed.

So, despite my Aluminum 2F and X weighing within 10 grams of each other, the X feels much heavier on my head. Why? It's because my X has more pad compressiong and less spring in the headband (both likely because my X is older and used more). That all means less clamping force to keep them in place and that they slide around quite a bit. The 2F are locked in place and delightfully comfy. I actually looked up the weights just now out of curiosity and was shocked to find that they weren't 150 grams different in weight, that's how much of a difference the fit makes in this case.

Jan 13, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #12,410 of 13,140
Anybody messed with some EQ for the old LCD2 rev 2 pre fazor? I believe they are the ones that the LCD2 classic was possibly modeled after?

Jan 14, 2021 at 1:14 AM Post #12,411 of 13,140
20210113_200936.jpg
finished my first balanced cable for my babies

Jan 14, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #12,412 of 13,140
My original pads are doing the same on my LCD-2.2’s,can u recall how the Dekonis effected the sound compared to the originals?

Very late answer here, sorry about that.

I had Dekoni Elite Velour in between, so its kinda hard to remember. The velours on the LCD-2.2 is NOT good btw. I recall when mounting the Elite Sheepskins that I couldnt remember the LCD-2s ever sounding so good, so it felt like a step up from stock and a HUGE step up from the velours.

Jan 14, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #12,413 of 13,140
Anybody messed with some EQ for the old LCD2 rev 2 pre fazor? I believe they are the ones that the LCD2 classic was possibly modeled after?
I never owned the non-Fazor LCD-2, but I can offer advice that may be helpful. The non-Fazor attenuates the bass more, has a slight emphasis around 1k, and a bit more dip around 4k. DIYAudio has a useful comparison chart of the various LCD headphones.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #12,414 of 13,140
Ditto

Jan 23, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #12,416 of 13,140
They are heavy, even heavier than some of my antique headphones. Actually they are my heaviest. But they distribute the weight well. Just have to mindful when headbanging tho. Def will help strengthen the neck up! Lol but what does one expect with 12 dense magnets per side.
Sound is so addictive, that one forgets about the mass

Jan 23, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #12,419 of 13,140
I've listened or read so many reviews that are completely of the mask that sometimes I think they were listening to different headphones
I know these 2020 ones are def not inline with some of the reviews. I’ve found Audeze like Toyota, they gradually improve vs making massive changes or trying unproven techniques. So old lcd2’s might reflect those reviews, I can’t comment much because I haven’t heard earlier revisions.

Jan 24, 2021 at 11:20 PM Post #12,420 of 13,140
Very late answer here, sorry about that.

I had Dekoni Elite Velour in between, so its kinda hard to remember. The velours on the LCD-2.2 is NOT good btw. I recall when mounting the Elite Sheepskins that I couldnt remember the LCD-2s ever sounding so good, so it felt like a step up from stock and a HUGE step up from the velours.
Agree on the velours. The bass sounds less impactful and muddier to me. On the upside, they're way more comfortable than stock pads. I can wear the velour for hours whereas the stock pads would hurt my ears and get hot real quick. Good to know that the sheepskins are a major improvement.
IMG_20210125_113106.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back