Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Mar 18, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #10,696 of 13,140
There are very small dongle-sized custom tailored line-level hardware EQ units that go between DAC and amp that can be had from the more DIY oriented/modder audio hardware forums.

Can spin any can towards flat-line monitor FR or Harmon Kardon curve without artifacts getting in signal like digital EQ can cause.

Mar 19, 2017 at 12:48 AM Post #10,697 of 13,140
Implemented properly, analog EQ is not technically superior to digital. Either can avoid audible side effects if implemented properly and gentle slopes are used. Digital EQ done properly at 24 bit with noise shaped dither can be more transparent. Of course, either can be done poorly.

Mar 19, 2017 at 1:59 AM Post #10,698 of 13,140
Implemented properly, analog EQ is not technically superior to digital. Either can avoid audible side effects if implemented properly and gentle slopes are used. Digital EQ done properly at 24 bit with noise shaped dither can be more transparent. Of course, either can be done poorly.

any specific AU/VST parametric plug-in you use with LCD-2 ?

Mar 19, 2017 at 2:16 AM Post #10,699 of 13,140
Same one I posted earlier in this thread: +3 dB @ 4600 Q=0.67 or 3 dB / octave. Or +2 for something more subtle. It corrects some of the LCD-2 FR dip, restoring some treble detail but is gentle enough not to change the character of the sound.

With the 2016 I find this unnecessary. It's a touch brighter and more neutral out of the box.

Mar 19, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #10,700 of 13,140
Any eq will always impart the sound in some way.  Linear digital eq will keep the phase consistency but will add post and pre ringing, the latter being the more unnatural because it creates noise before the transient winch is impossible in real life. Maximum phase don't have pre ringing but has post ringing and will impart the phase consistency.
Analog eq can't be linear. Some are appreciate because they add a pleasant distortion.
Anyway I try to avoid eq, It creates too much artifacts and gives all the tracks the same sound.

Mar 19, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #10,701 of 13,140
  Any eq will always impart the sound in some way.  Linear digital eq will keep the phase consistency but will add post and pre ringing, the latter being the more unnatural because it creates noise before the transient winch is impossible in real life. Maximum phase don't have pre ringing but has post ringing and will impart the phase consistency.
Analog eq can't be linear. Some are appreciate because they add a pleasant distortion.
Anyway I try to avoid eq, It creates too much artifacts and gives all the tracks the same sound.

There is some truth to that, especially with EQ having steep/narrow slopes (high Q). But the degree of this is often overstated. Parametric EQ using gradual slopes, applied properly in digital domain doesn't create any audible artifacts.

To illustrate this, earlier in this thread I posted an EQ challenge: A/B testing some audio clips I created using EQ with its reverse EQ.

Mar 20, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #10,705 of 13,140
I thought the he400i was a notch too dark/warm for my taste. It sounded lacking in liveliness sort of. I only had it briefly but couldn't really like it. I sold months ago.

Mar 20, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #10,706 of 13,140
I thought the he400i was a notch too dark/warm for my taste. It sounded lacking in liveliness sort of. I only had it briefly but couldn't really like it. I sold months ago.

How differently do we hear stuff, and I guess it depends on your reference points as well.
Probably never heard the 400i described as veiled, or dark before.
Shure there might be some issues related to the transparency, congestion, but at its price point, and compared to other cans. I'd err the 400i on the side of brighter, thinner and mid-forward than neutral. Due to the treble energy/transients/impulse response, I wouldn't even call them particularly warm!
Oh well, better to leave the impressions on the appropriate threads.

Mar 20, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #10,707 of 13,140
Maybe it's in comparison to my main can at the time which was the ether open 1.1 which to me was bright and bad rough treble. I kind of liked the 400i just not enough to keep.

Mar 21, 2017 at 3:26 AM Post #10,710 of 13,140
HFM stuff just look plasticky, no craftmanship pride.
HE-400 were my entry into the planar sound, but LCD-2 killed them especially on....everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back