Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar magnetic earphones
Apr 3, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #1,968 of 7,352
I tried to put Comply 500s on my new iSine 10s - no chance.  But the new Comply 600s work fine.  I chose the Comfort TS-600s because the tips are a hair wider than the Isolation T-series and fit may huge ear canals better.  
rolleyes.gif

Apr 3, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #1,969 of 7,352
agree...the sines are what they are: not fully noise isolating.
also (for a more sealed alternative for noisy environments) try the fab bang for buck Vsonics GR07 classics.

FYI: please don't raise the volume of these to 'drown out' the sound outside if it's loud.
.that only raises your chances of hearing damage and getting
tinnitus early on...i learned my lesson with the apple earbuds which weren't fully isolating.
i win the 'duh' award for that one...smh.

The GR07 (as well as the 07 bass version) has been on my radar since i saw the guys from the headphonelist using it as the measuring stick for all others. So if you're suggesting it as a sensible upgrade to the so-budget-they-might-as-well-be-free Philips SHE3905 I advocate, that seems to be good advice. I've never heard an 07, and although I don't doubt at all that they're better, I'm curious just HOW MUCH better. Anybody familiar with both?

Apr 4, 2017 at 2:10 AM Post #1,970 of 7,352
I heard about these IEMs last week, and rushed down to the store to demo them. I was very impressed with both the 20s and 10s. However, I thought that the 20s had that extra bit of detail and control that made it worth the extra cost. I brought home the 20s and have been using them all week, along side my previous daily drivers, the IE80 and HD800.

I have to say the sound quality is remarkable. The first time I listened to these, I thought the soundstage was huge for an IEM. the IE80 was known for its bass and massive soundstage. The iSine 20 blows it out of the water with ease. After getting used to the 20s, the IE80s sound muddy, boomy, and dark.

I really do consider these IEMs as a over ear open headphone replacement.

I've been using them exclusively with the cipher cable to my iPhone 6s Plus with Tidal Hifi.

There is one big drawback however that I wish could be addressed in a future firmware update. The volume is way too loud using he cipher cable (not sure if it's the same case with the 3.5mm as I haven't tried it yet.). However, just about everything I listen to, I'm setting the volume at "1" (ie just one click above mute) and it's still too loud. Setting it at "2" is pretty much loud enough to drown out all outside noise (considering these are open, that's pretty loud). At 4, it becomes uncomfortable. At 6, it's hurts a bit. And remember, the iPhone UI has a total of 16 sound levels not including mute. I think it's a total waste of the louder settings as it wouldn't be safe to listen that loud.

Apr 4, 2017 at 4:38 AM Post #1,971 of 7,352
Been a week with the isine 10. I also own the el8o.

The sound signature is actually very different. I didn't think the el8o to sound so bright until I compare them.

The sound stage is bigger and fuller on the el8o but isine10 isn't much smaller imo. (That being said el8o sound stage isn't that big for open headphones)

Overall isine 10 is a very capable and amazing iem. I am using it daily and choose it over my el8o most of the time right now

Apr 4, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #1,972 of 7,352
 The volume is way too loud using he cipher cable (not sure if it's the same case with the 3.5mm as I haven't tried it yet.). 

New firmware update coming in the next weeks to address this and make the volume control a bit more granular. It is under testing at the moment

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Apr 4, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #1,973 of 7,352

well..... damn......  ie, no comply tips would fit!!!

The Comply Ts-600 is a perfect fit. I can attest to that :)

In fact, a lot of slightly smaller silicone tips can be stretched to fit (and it's not like the iSine nozzles are likely to snap, unlike one of those old Etys).
I even managed to get my Grado tips on and they work a treat.

Apr 4, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #1,974 of 7,352

The Comply Ts-600 is a perfect fit. I can attest to that :)

In fact, a lot of slightly smaller silicone tips can be stretched to fit (and it's not like the iSine nozzles are likely to snap, unlike one of those old Etys).
I even managed to get my Grado tips on and they work a treat.

t-600 or ts-600 you prefer??   what size?  medium?

is there such a thing as tsx-600?

Apr 4, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #1,975 of 7,352
  t-600 or ts-600 you prefer??   what size?  medium?

is there such a thing as tsx-600?

I personally prefer the shape of the Ts-600 but ymmv.

Large size, but that's because I have ear canals that you could park a bus in. :\

I'd like to know if there's a Tsx-600 as well... I didn't see it on the Comply website though I'd like some of those as well.

Apr 4, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #1,976 of 7,352
Hi,

I bought the iSine 20 last month and have already had the cipher cable fail at the lightning connector. No visible damage, just the the cable dropping connection to the phone when the cable is moved.
I just wondered if anyone else has had problems with the cable?

I've been very happy with the 20s...less so with the standard cable.

Thanks.

Apr 4, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #1,977 of 7,352
I've had my iSine 20 for a while now so I thought I'd post some impressions. For the record, these are only my opinions. At home, my reference headphones are Abyss with a Chord Dave and WA-5LE with Japanese tubes. In noisy environments I use an Audeze LCD-XC with Chord Mojo. I admit I love Rob Watt's DAC designs and am looking forward to the Hugo 2 for headphone listening.

First of all, I completely disagree with those who've said that an ear canal seal with the iSine 20 is a bad idea. These headphones are more forgiving of resonance, etc., because of their semi-open design, but they absolutely sound better with a nice, easy/light seal not to deep in the canal. Better bass, better isolation, better sound, and it's not subtle. For me the medium tips did it. Small tips went to deep and were bass light. Fat tips formed too tight a seal. Medium were perfect. I recommend moving the tips in and out a bit during a track and you'll know when you're there. Find the right fit for your ear and make a light seal. It's just better.

For these I use an iPhone 7 plus as a source, mostly Tidal HiFi and HF Player high bitrate content. I like to start with well-recorded accoustic recordings because I know what they're supposed to sound like and beyond that I use the Abyss as my reference for what is the best possible bass on a headphone (which only sound speaker-like IMO on the Abyss). I don't bother listening to the direct output of the iPhone - just comparing Cipher with Mojo.

Cipher is an engaging sound in a convenient package. I don't like the peak at 4KHz at all, so I've used someone else's EQ settings on this thread to reduce primarily the 4KHz bump and some attenuation a little below and a little above. It's a fun sound, but to me it's a bit fatiguing and not as natural and analog/organic as I'm used to. I enjoy it, it's convenient, but you can do better with these headphones.

I admit, I don't like to use EQ. For me the iSine 20 sound spectacular right out of the Chord Mojo. The bass is dramatically better defined and more if it - which is strange because I thought Cipher boosted this with PEQ. It's much more natural sounding. It's got plenty of bass, and quality bass. iSine 20 with the Mojo is not only less fatiguing, it's just more realistic on recordings where natural sound is expected. While the Cipher is a fun sound, the iSine 20 properly fit with the Mojo is pure magic. Again it's not subtle. Getting it fit right is critical to being able to hear its full potential and differentiate between Cipher and Mojo.

So - take time with the tips and make the right, light seal. The iSines are better with it and I don't understand the observations of those who have written differing opinions suggesting deep insertion and little to no seal.

For me, analog with Mojo is preferable to Cipher all day long. It's more musical and more natural, better more bass, and just more engaging. In my opinion. That said, I'm perfectly happy to enjoy Cipher and enjoy playing with EQ when I don't bring the Mojo, which honestly is almost never.

Apr 4, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #1,978 of 7,352
  Hi,

I bought the iSine 20 last month and have already had the cipher cable fail at the lightning connector. No visible damage, just the the cable dropping connection to the phone when the cable is moved.
I just wondered if anyone else has had problems with the cable?

I've been very happy with the 20s...less so with the standard cable.

Thanks.

Can you explain why less happy with the standard cable?

Apr 4, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #1,979 of 7,352
I don't claim to have the correct vocaulary or evaluation skills to tell you what is technically different between Cipher and 3.5, but for me it looses a lot of clarity and the vocals seem too recessed, possibly even muddy.
I've had a play with the PEQ settings Audeze supplied earlier in this thread and it definitely helped, but I haven't found an app that works with Tidal, so it isn't a long term solution for me. 

My other equipment will probably give you an idea of what sound I'm used to.

Shure se846
Sennheiser HD800
Mojo

My phone is an iPhone 6s Plus.

I had another listen and decided my "muddy" comment isn't fair.
Without the additional background noise (bus/Train etc) it is just different, though still not my preferred sound.
I suspect that the Cipher cables perceived boost in clarity helps counter the background noise when traveling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back