Audeze EL-8 vs AudioQuest NightHawk "Battle of the Upper Middle Class?"
Jan 7, 2015 at 1:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

ghostchili

100+ Head-Fier
The Audeze EL-8 ($699) and the AudioQuest Nighthawk ($599) will be released around the same time and priced within $100. I will be receiving one of the first Production Nighthawks from a local distributer. I am curious to see how the Head-Fi community receives both of these as there is not much info on either yet. If you've been lucky to hear both headphones what are your thoughts?

Feb 6, 2015 at 2:13 AM Post #4 of 29
  The Audeze EL-8 ($699) and the AudioQuest Nighthawk ($599) will be released around the same time and priced within $100. I will be receiving one of the first Production Nighthawks from a local distributer. I am curious to see how the Head-Fi community receives both of these as there is not much info on either yet. If you've been lucky to hear both headphones what are your thoughts?

A someone who feels they are ensconced in the upper middle....but decidedly below the 1 percent, i eagerly await this thread development

I'm feeling like this is the "Golden Age" of headphones. So many choices. It is a good time to be a headphone geek.

bump. lets get this thread going once these headphones start rolling out :]... SoCal Can Jam is going to be coming up soon

Feb 7, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #5 of 29
I was blown away by the Audeze EL8 at CES, driven by Pono and my iPhone 6+, very easy to drive

Definitely preferred the open-back model, which had a more spacious sound (as expected) 

Very comfortable despite excess clamping force which Audeze said would be reduced in production models

Can't wait to take a pair on a longer date (-:

Feb 18, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #6 of 29
I will have an opportunity to audition the Nighthawk tomorrow evening at the Music Matters event at SoundWorld. I'll post my impressions. If they sound as amazing as they LOOK I will expect to be blown away! Hope to get my hands on the EL-8 as well. The only Audeze cans this boy can afford!!

Feb 18, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #7 of 29
I will have an opportunity to audition the Nighthawk tomorrow evening at the Music Matters event at SoundWorld. I'll post my impressions. If they sound as amazing as they LOOK I will expect to be blown away! Hope to get my hands on the EL-8 as well. The only Audeze cans this boy can afford!!

You can do what I did and get some LCD2.2 like new for $700. I am very happy with mine.

Feb 18, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #9 of 29
ahhhh... good point. good advice. tks

Feb 18, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #10 of 29
I'm also going to have the pleasure of experiencing Martin Logan's flagship/30th Anniversary Neolith speaker system. Don't know about anyone else, but I have never had an opportunity to hear what an $80,000 pair of speakers sounds like. Can't even fathom what I should expect.... perfection perhaps?
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 1, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #11 of 29
Okay, I've just spent another lazy, Sunday afternoon with my HifFiman 400i. The iTunes Americana mix is really doing it for me . Especially "Por Vida: A Tribute to The Songs of Alejandro Escovedo" as well as Chuck Prophet's "Temple Beautiful" :)

I'm really happy with the 400i's as I've been listening to my AIFF files via my desktop iMac, DAC, and headphone amp.
I'm hoping that the Audeze EL-8 is even better. The 400i seems to be the "gateway drug" to planar magnetic headphones :wink: I can't wait for the reviews! I'm so glad that there are "Upper Middle Class" headphones out there. I've got other vices to serve like photography equipment.

Mar 11, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #12 of 29
Subscribed

Mar 11, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #13 of 29
Okay, I've just spent another lazy, Sunday afternoon with my HifFiman 400i. The iTunes Americana mix is really doing it for me . Especially "Por Vida: A Tribute to The Songs of Alejandro Escovedo" as well as Chuck Prophet's "Temple Beautiful" :)

I'm really happy with the 400i's as I've been listening to my AIFF files via my desktop iMac, DAC, and headphone amp.
I'm hoping that the Audeze EL-8 is even better. The 400i seems to be the "gateway drug" to planar magnetic headphones :wink: I can't wait for the reviews! I'm so glad that there are "Upper Middle Class" headphones out there. I've got other vices to serve like photography equipment.

I just got done burning in my HE-560's and I'm liking them a lot. They sound great and feel much better than my LCD-X on my head. As for the EL-8 (Elate) and the Nighthawks, I should have my hands on them to compare in April. I consider the HE-560 to still be in the upper middle class, I will be pleasantly suprised if either of those headphones can out perform the 560's.

Mar 14, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #14 of 29
Mar 14, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #15 of 29
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back