Audeze Deckard - class A amp, USB DAC
Aug 11, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #91 of 652
Tube amplifiers often impart a little distortion of some measure into the mix, its what makes them have character, rolling tubes can usually get the sound to the desired synergy for the headphones being used.

Interesting findings on the DAC analysis, they both use different DAC chips thats for sure !
I have to admit the three DACS I own sound pretty diferent
The DacmagicOne is a big dynamic, forcefull sound, lacks a little finesse at times, but is fun and spacious, it works well with the Orthos.
The Dac-Ah  has  a Dark nature, good detail resolution and a well controlled Bass and Mids, its top end is slightly laid back making it a good partner for lively Cans like the L2
The Perpetual techonolgies P-3A is well rounded, analytical, has good bass drive but a little rolled off at the top, but fails to convey any feeling, when partnered with the Beyer it is truly a clinical combination but has no soul, a truely neutral combination.

Horses for courses as they say, in comparison the Deckard is fun, powerful, detailed, and provides a realistic musical presentation with a wide variety of Genre's. It is a great little amplifier.

One thing that does surprise me is if I compare the sound against my Ming DA MC34, I had always wanted that fullness of sound in my headphone amplifiers but not acheived it till the Deckard.
To bring out that real speaker sound into a headphone is a special treat , and the Deckard does just that.

Aug 11, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #92 of 652
  I too heard the treble harshness of the Valhalla when switching to recent purchase, a new solid state headphone amplifier. I truly wish I did not because I bought both a black Bifrost Uber and a black Valhalla, which were a really cool looking stack. At a recent headphone meet, I was at a table with my original version Valhalla and HD650 headphones. At my same table was a gentleman with Valhalla 2 with a Bifrost Uber and HD600 headphones. I spoke to him and asked him what he thought were the differences. He said basically none other than the output impedance, which can be switched on the newer model to suite a wider variety of headphones.  I suspect there's no difference between the two generations of Valhalla in terms of sound signature.

@sheldaze Thank you for confirming what I feared.  I agree that it is a shame, as the Valhalla has to be one of the coolest looking components.

Interesting findings on the DAC analysis, they both use different DAC chips thats for sure !
I have to admit the three DACS I own sound pretty different.

@Jonfairway Yes I am quite surprised I am struggling to hear a difference between my Bifrost Uber and the Deckard, because I heard a significant difference when I upgraded from my original Bifrost to the Bifrost Uber!  What DAC chip is in the Deckard?

Aug 11, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #94 of 652
The Deckard uses the

PCM5102A (ACTIVE)

2VRMS DirectPath™, 112dB Audio Stereo DAC with 32-bit, 384kHz PCM Interface

Aug 11, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #95 of 652
 Before I risk blowing my speakers, can someone please confirm, is the level of the Deckard's analog outputs controlled by the volume knob, or are they fixed at full volume?

I will connect mine up to a Power Ampifier tomorrow and let you know...

Aug 11, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #97 of 652
I can confirm that the pre-outs are variable level and are controlled by the Deckard's volume knob.  They are also affected by the Gain toggle switch so be careful with that.  I find the Low position gives me a nice clean sound and good range on the volume control.  The high position overloads things and only gives you a fraction of the turnable range before it becomes too loud.

Aug 12, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #99 of 652
  @sheldaze Thank you for confirming what I feared.  I agree that it is a shame, as the Valhalla has to be one of the coolest looking components.

Definitely agreed, I have the Valhalla 2 and it is an awesome looking piece of gear. Off topic a bit, but I just recently bought the Sony UDA-1, and I was pretty surprised (and a bit saddened) to find that the Sony opened up the dynamics of my HD650 to a greater extent than the Valhalla 2 ever has. However... There's always something to be said for class A amps and that rich tube sound! Different flavors are good and that's what still interests me in the Deckard (that, and the Sony doesn't seem to handle planars with the same authority as the HD650). I'll never put the Valhalla 2 away; there's some albums that were just made for a tube. In fact, it's inspired me to try rolling some tubes in it. Who knows, it might impress me all over again. 

Have you rolled any tubes in yours? If so, any great successes?

Aug 12, 2015 at 5:29 AM Post #100 of 652
Slightly off topic so please forgive the deviation, but I wonder whether any thread readers have compared the Deckard with the Chord Hugo? Admittedly these are two very different components, yet they're both DAC/AMPS and could be used in a desktop or home system. If the Deckard stacks up well against the Hugo, it will be a veritable audio bargain given the cost differential.    

Aug 12, 2015 at 7:02 AM Post #101 of 652
Are we talking comparing a £600 dac/amp with a £1400 dac/amp ?

interesting price difference !

And the Chord has been getting reviews comparing it with £5000 amplifiers !!!

always the diminishing returns is order of the day, but I would hazzard a guess the Chord Hugo is a better sounding combo.

Aug 12, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #102 of 652
It would be an interesting comparison, as to my mind/ears the Hugo DAC is noticeably stronger than it's amplification section, so if the Deckard amplifier is more competent than the Hugo's but it's DAC implementation trails behind the Chord's, then a sonic equity of sorts might occur? :)

Are we talking comparing a £600 dac/amp with a £1400 dac/amp ?

interesting price difference !

And the Chord has been getting reviews comparing it with £5000 amplifiers !!!

always the diminishing returns is order of the day, but I would hazzard a guess the Chord Hugo is a better sounding combo.

Aug 12, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #103 of 652
 It would be an interesting comparison, as to my mind/ears the Hugo DAC is noticeably stronger than it's amplification section, so if the Deckard amplifier is more competent than the Hugo's but it's DAC implementation trails behind the Chord's, then a sonic equity of sorts might occur?
smily_headphones1.gif

Yup would be fun to have a listen to both side by side for sure, the differences in kit when the prices get in the £1000's isnt much most of the time, and certainly only real enthusiasts go the last mile to find sonic nirvana.

At  the moment have the LCD3's on my bonce , the Deckard in full flow , listening to Susie Suh and the warmth of Her vocals sends a shiver up my back, so personal, so Intimate, thats the beauty of Headphones.

Aug 12, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #104 of 652
Even though I enjoy using my Hugo it can sound a touch dry or cold on occasion, so the Deckard's 'warmth' greatly appeals to me. Now where's my credit card? :wink:

Yup would be fun to have a listen to both side by side for sure, the differences in kit when the prices get in the £1000's isnt much most of the time, and certainly only real enthusiasts go the last mile to find sonic nirvana.

At  the moment have the LCD3's on my bonce , the Deckard in full flow , listening to Susie Suh and the warmth of Her vocals sends a shiver up my back, so personal, so Intimate, thats the beauty of Headphones.

Aug 12, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #105 of 652
 Even though I enjoy using my Hugo it can sound a touch dry or cold on occasion, so the Deckard's 'warmth' greatly appeals to me. Now where's my credit card? :wink:

You like a warm sound ?
Use foobar 2000 ?
find the Pultronic EQ110P   DSP addin and fill your tube sound boots !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back