Audeze Deckard - class A amp, USB DAC
Dec 18, 2015 at 4:07 AM Post #167 of 652
I am using the Deckard with my new pair of LCD-3F and they drive them with ease. Mid-gain around 1-2 o'clock on the dial is very loud for me. Sounds beautiful out of them by the way. 

Dec 20, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #168 of 652
I using the deckard with my hd800. I have to admit the amp does an amazing job of smoothing out the rough edges of the treble. That being said i had to trade out the provided usb cable for a belkin gold one as there was noticable noise when no sound was being outputted. Never put much stock in cables having an effect but this time at least the belkin cable seems better.

Dec 23, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #169 of 652
  Drivers transistors, output transistors, transformer model/type and OPAMP if visible in your pictures it will be great.

Thank you, WilCox!

Opened up the Deckard case to take a closer look but didn't take many pictures since I didn't have time to mess with my digital SLR & macro lens.

Here's some info on the components used in the Deckard:

1. Driver transistors are BC550 (NPN) and BC560 (PNP)
  2. Output transistors are C3421 (NPN) and A1358 (PNP)
  3. Op amp is LME49860NA
  4. Voltage regulators on the heatsink are 7818A (+18V) and 7918A (-18V)
  5. Large power supply caps are Nichicon KG type 4700uF
  6. Local caps are Nichicon Muse 330uF

All in all, very good component selection and excellent design and assembly.

A few pics:

Dec 24, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #170 of 652

Opened up the Deckard case to take a closer look but didn't take many pictures since I didn't have time to mess with my digital SLR & macro lens.

Here's some info on the components used in the Deckard:

1. Driver transistors are BC550 (NPN) and BC560 (PNP)
  2. Output transistors are C3421 (NPN) and A1358 (PNP)
  3. Op amp is LME49860NA
  4. Voltage regulators on the heatsink are 7818A (+18V) and 7918A (-18V)
  5. Large power supply caps are Nichicon KG type 4700uF
  6. Local caps are Nichicon Muse 330uF

All in all, very good component selection and excellent design and assembly.

Thank you for the very detailed info, WilCox!

Looks like drivers are more powerful than the ones used in Matrix (TO92 case instead of SOT-23), but the gain is the same, so I believe BC550/560 are not heating more than 70-75C, right?

Same output transistors, OPAMPs, capacitors and power regulators like the ones used in Matrix M-Stage 3U & 3B. PCB seems to be the same, just DECKARD is using THT components; I like the Through-The-Hole drivers and resistors, because it makes life easier for DYI-ers to upgrade and repair this amp...if needed. :)

Jan 5, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #171 of 652
I recently purchased the Deckard as my first desktop AMP/DAC combo. I'm really liking it, but I did see the Chord Mojo is at a similar price point. And the Schiit stack is obviously much cheaper. Does anyone have any experience with either of those to determine whether the Deckard is the best choice in this price range?

I use Hifiman 400i as my headphones. Thanks!

Jan 7, 2016 at 4:04 AM Post #172 of 652
  I recently purchased the Deckard as my first desktop AMP/DAC combo. I'm really liking it, but I did see the Chord Mojo is at a similar price point. And the Schiit stack is obviously much cheaper. Does anyone have any experience with either of those to determine whether the Deckard is the best choice in this price range?

I use Hifiman 400i as my headphones. Thanks!

I own both the Deckard and a Mojo w/ HE-560. The 560 sounds better on the Mojo directly vs. Mojo -> Deckard or Deckard by itself. Soundstage is bigger and it is more detailed / airy through the Mojo.

My TH-900 matches better with the Deckard vs. Mojo and I have not tested the LCD-3 on the Mojo yet as it sounds stunning on the Deckard. 

Jan 7, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #173 of 652

I own both the Deckard and a Mojo w/ HE-560. The 560 sounds better on the Mojo directly vs. Mojo -> Deckard or Deckard by itself. Soundstage is bigger and it is more detailed / airy through the Mojo.

My TH-900 matches better with the Deckard vs. Mojo and I have not tested the LCD-3 on the Mojo yet as it sounds stunning on the Deckard. 

Thanks for the insight! It's so hard to make a decision. I love the audio and design of the Deckard but I also want the best sound quality for the money. Decisions...

Jan 16, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #174 of 652
I'm looking to buy the Audeze LCD-2.2 in the near future as my first pair of high end headphones. I don't currently own a dac or amp so was looking at purchasing the Deckard to power the LCD2's. Is this a good combo? Both are made by Audeze, but I thought I read somewhere that the Deckard is better for the EL-8's. So is the Deckard worth it for the LCD2's?

I was also interested in maybe a Schiit Asgard 2/Bifrost stack. Better option for the LCD2's than the Deckard?

Thanks!

Edit: Also my source is a 2015 Macbook Pro 15"

Jan 18, 2016 at 10:17 PM Post #175 of 652
I'm looking to buy the Audeze LCD-2.2 in the near future as my first pair of high end headphones. I don't currently own a dac or amp so was looking at purchasing the Deckard to power the LCD2's. Is this a good combo? Both are made by Audeze, but I thought I read somewhere that the Deckard is better for the EL-8's. So is the Deckard worth it for the LCD2's?

I was also interested in maybe a Schiit Asgard 2/Bifrost stack. Better option for the LCD2's than the Deckard?

Thanks!

Edit: Also my source is a 2015 Macbook Pro 15"

Congrats on stepping up. The Deckard will be more than adequate to run the LCD2s and run them well. I've run the gambit of high end DACs and amps, and once you get to the level you're aiming at diminishing returns sets in in a very real way. Headphones first (80% or more of the sound sig), amp second (maybe 15% contribution), DACs last (5% contribution at best) forget cables (aesthetic contribution only). That should be how you prioritize your rig.

Not to say there isn't more to be had with better/different sources and amps, just that that you'll spend lots of money for minor improvements, or even simply marginal differences. So long as the amp meets or exceeds the power requirements of your phones, and the DAC has the features you want and it isn't some total botch job, you're more than set.

The Deckard and about a million other amp/DAC combos in this price segment do that all handily, and they all sound much more similar than different.

Deckard sounds stunning with my LCD3s, every bit as good as a $5,000 WA5 + flagship DAC combo did.

Now, watch me get flamed :)

Jan 19, 2016 at 6:42 AM Post #176 of 652
Thanks for the info. I think I'm gonna go with the Deckard as it has everything i'm looking for and I look of it. I'll also keep in mind the diminishing returns at this level of stuff.

Jan 19, 2016 at 7:55 AM Post #177 of 652
  Thanks for the info. I think I'm gonna go with the Deckard as it has everything i'm looking for and I look of it. I'll also keep in mind the diminishing returns at this level of stuff.

You're really going to enjoy it. I used the Deckard as a DAC/amp combo when I first got it and absolutely loved it.

This is a debate that will never end in hifi, but I don't agree that a DAC is only 5 percent of the sound. 

I recently got the Schiit Bifrost Multibit DAC and there was a very noticeable improvement in the detail and presence of each instrument. 

If you eventually want to go to the next level with a DAC, I highly recommend it. Or to explore other multibit DACs. Paired with my Deckard, it really shows how you can get a lot out of a nice pair of headphones (in my case, the HE-400i or your LCD 2.2) when paired with the right amp/DAC.

But like I said, the Deckard's DAC also works very well. 

Enjoy!

Jan 19, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #178 of 652

This is a debate that will never end in hifi, but I don't agree that a DAC is only 5 percent of the sound. 

That's the thing though, a DAC is a calculator, it has one job. Interpolate 0s and 1s into wavforms. If DACs sound different, they have their own spin on the math, which means they are coloring the sound in ways that the manufacturer will probably never divulge. 
Whether or not we like the coloration, or what percentage of impact we perceive it to have is irrelevant.
If DACs are doing their job right, they will all sound the same.

But I digress. To each his own so long as we are having fun and no one gets hurt.

Jan 21, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #179 of 652
I just got this amazing Amp/Dac  witch is an upgrade from (JDS Labs The Element) ,

and really it is mush better in sound clarity and details

One thing to consider and an advise to all owners : 

NEVER use the USB cable that come with it !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Use ( iFi Mercury USB Cable) its a day and night deference  ..

My rig : PC -->  iFi Mercury USB Cable --> Audeze Deckard --> LCD-X

Playing  HD Flac files with foobar2000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back