Audeze CRBN Interview, Review, Measurements
Sep 26, 2021 at 12:47 AM Post #616 of 1,906
FWIW, I listened to the CRBN after auditioning the LCD-5. Solid headphone, although I preferred the HFM Shangri-la Jr. due to its superior soundstaging and overall refinement. Probably my favorite headphone that I heard today! I detected a bit of grain in cymbals on the CRBN, although the audition was too brief to make any definitive statements. Bass was definitely above average on both the Audeze and HFM by 'stat standards. Some dynamic compression seems to be a fact of life with this technology vis-a-vis planars, but the Shangri-la Jr. does offer more resolution than even the Susvara, and I'm intrigued for sure. Will listen to both again tomorrow and update my impressions.

One overriding critique of this meet is that most booths have a very limited selection of music. BOOOOOO!!! Tidal or Qobuz and a broadband connection should be mandatory for anyone displaying at CanJam!! Major kudos to Raal and one or two others who actually did provide that.
Yeah, I auditioned the CRBN right after the Shangri-la Jr. I liked the CRBN better ... but might be different at home/after EQ. Though when I listened to them my first thought was: these sound 99% the same as my Jade II's :p So for me - I figured it would be a waste of money.

Sep 26, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #618 of 1,906
Keep seeing really favorable early impressions of the CRBN in various threads. My anticipation is definitely growing. I ordered through my normal local dealer, hopefully it ends up shipping soon and avoids major delays.

Sep 27, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #621 of 1,906
FWIW, I listened to the CRBN after auditioning the LCD-5. Solid headphone, although I preferred the HFM Shangri-la Jr. due to its superior soundstaging and overall refinement. Probably my favorite headphone that I heard today! I detected a bit of grain in cymbals on the CRBN, although the audition was too brief to make any definitive statements. Bass was definitely above average on both the Audeze and HFM by 'stat standards. Some dynamic compression seems to be a fact of life with this technology vis-a-vis planars, but the Shangri-la Jr. does offer more resolution than even the Susvara, and I'm intrigued for sure. Will listen to both again tomorrow and update my impressions.

One overriding critique of this meet is that most booths have a very limited selection of music. BOOOOOO!!! Tidal or Qobuz and a broadband connection should be mandatory for anyone displaying at CanJam!! Major kudos to Raal and one or two others who actually did provide that.
The reason so many exhibitors didn't have broadband is that the hotel was charging a prohibitive daily fee to each exhibitor that made it unfeasible for most.

Sep 27, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #624 of 1,906
The reason so many exhibitors didn't have broadband is that the hotel was charging a prohibitive daily fee to each exhibitor that made it unfeasible for most.
I didn't mean to come off as being too critical, as there are usually underlying circumstances. Even without broadband, some vendors had a huge selection of music on local storage, with varying ease of navigability. Audeze had a short playlist of maybe 75 songs, which was perhaps adequate given the insane demand to audition their new cans and the need to keep the lines moving!

I will also add that the clear majority of people I spoke with who auditioned both the CRBN and the Shangri-la Jr. preferred the CRBN. While the Shangri-la Jr. happened to align a bit better with my sonic preferences, the CRBN is a very fine-sounding headphone! As others have stated, the industrial design is also exquisite.

Lastly, everyone at Audeze was knowledgeable, friendly, and accommodating. The company is a bellwether of the industry and appear to have a couple of big winners in the CRBN and LCD-5. Big thanks to them for helping to make CanJam SoCal a blast!

Sep 27, 2021 at 8:44 PM Post #625 of 1,906
The company is a bellwether of the industry and appear to have a couple of big winners in the CRBN and LCD-5.
Okay, so which one of these "big winners" should one normally choose as an upgrade from the LCD-4, especially if one also owns a Susvara, an Abyss TC, and is looking for another "wow factor" HP to complement the other two, without resembling either one too closely?

This sounds like one of those, "Let subjective preferences decide" scenarios. Yes but I am hoping one of these two "big winner" cans can be deemed, noticeably and "objectively" more of winner than the other if only in certain limited aspects, and not simply by the whim of "subjective preferences.".

Sep 27, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #626 of 1,906
Okay, so which one of these "big winners" should one normally choose as an upgrade from the LCD-4, especially if one also owns a Susvara, an Abyss TC, and is looking for another "wow factor" HP to complement the other two, without resembling either one too closely?

This sounds like one of those, "Let subjective preferences decide" scenarios. Yes but I am hoping one of these two "big winner" cans can be deemed, noticeably and "objectively" more of winner than the other if only in certain limited aspects, and not simply by the whim of "subjective preferences.".
I think from everything I’ve been reading the LCD 5 is a Susvara competitor. Somewhere between lcd 4 and susvara. Keeping some lcd traits but also going open and having way more midrange detail.

I think it’s gonna have its own place in the market and sound like it’s own thing.

doesn’t seem like I would like to get rid of my susvara for it but I’d have to hear it to make that call.

what’s making me come to this conclusion is people saying crbn and lcd 5 are very similar in sound signature. Which makes me believe LCD5 is a lot like susvara. So if you’re like me and have susvara and TC it’s gonna be mind boggling until you get them on your head whether you really want a pair of lcd5. The crbn should be interesting but I’m really looking forward to the SR-X9000

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021 at 9:35 PM Post #627 of 1,906

Well, I was using "big winners" in the sense that the Audeze display was a continuous mob scene and most everyone I spoke with had very positive impressions of either headphone after hearing it. The brand also seems to have built a large and loyal following. So, I expect Audeze will move a lot of units with both the CRBN and the 5.

As to which of them I would choose as of today, it would be the CRBN because it would provide a greater contrast to the Susvara. There are too many variables for me to predict which can anyone else would/should choose between the two. Sorry.

Sep 27, 2021 at 10:20 PM Post #628 of 1,906
Well, I was using "big winners" in the sense that the Audeze display was a continuous mob scene and most everyone I spoke with had very positive impressions of either headphone after hearing it. The brand also seems to have built a large and loyal following. So, I expect Audeze will move a lot of units with both the CRBN and the 5.

As to which of them I would choose as of today, it would be the CRBN because it would provide a greater contrast to the Susvara. There are too many variables for me to predict which can anyone else would/should choose between the two. Sorry.
Thanks. However, I do not understand the "sorry" part, because I find your suggesting that the CRBN will provide a greater contrast to be useful. At present, I'm feeling more inclined toward the CRBN, without having heard either can personally, but that is because of the reported closeness of the 5 to the Susvara. On the other hand, in the budgeting department, the 5 would be a lot kinder to my wallet, and there is that as well to consider.

I wish there was someway to reduce the cost of the CRBN's tethered Electrostatic Amp, without compromising the final SQ product. The only way to know more about amp-options is to learn from the commentary of actual owners reviews, but they're currently as rare as a water in the Sahara desert, and the long lead time required for producing these units is not helping on that front.

I really do have some waiting to do on this front, and that doesn't sound "fun" at all.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021 at 11:33 PM Post #629 of 1,906
Thanks. However, I do not understand the "sorry" part, because I find your suggesting that the CRBN will provide a greater contrast to be useful. At present, I'm feeling more inclined toward the CRBN, without having heard either can personally, but that is because of the reported closeness of the 5 to the Susvara. On the other hand, in the budgeting department, the 5 would be a lot kinder to my wallet, and there is that as well to consider.

I wish there was someway to reduce the cost of the CRBN's tethered Electrostatic Amp, without compromising the final SQ product. The only way to know more about amp-options is to learn from the commentary of actual owners reviews, but they're currently as rare as a water in the Sahara desert, and the long lead time required for producing these units is not helping on that front.

I really do have some waiting to do on this front, and that doesn't sound "fun" at all.
I said "sorry" because I don't have a definitive answer to the very first question you posed. If you own a Susvara (and a TC) already, I wouldn't expect the LCD-5 to "wow" you necessarily. But again, everyone hears things a little differently. Maybe they would hit a certain sweet spot with their presentation.

What kind of music do you listen to mostly?

Sep 27, 2021 at 11:55 PM Post #630 of 1,906
I said "sorry" because I don't have a definitive answer to the very first question you posed. If you own a Susvara (and a TC) already, I wouldn't expect the LCD-5 to "wow" you necessarily. But again, everyone hears things a little differently. Maybe they would hit a certain sweet spot with their presentation.

What kind of music do you listen to mostly?
Acoustic Music, Jazz, and some classical, mostly, and then, on occasion a mish-mash of "secondary" genres (Blues, "World Music," and some rock etc etc)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back