ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Mar 15, 2017 at 12:10 AM Post #2,732 of 9,735
Some more Atticus testing for me tonight as well. Plugged the 100ohm resistor into the Milo vocal is definitely more out front. My best guess is the vocal comes up by about 2-3db and the bass comes down by about 3db. I'd like to get this all measured, but I feel pretty confident that's in the ballpark.

I think it's safe to conclude that the resistors have a noticeable effect, which is great news because you can effectively balance the bass and mids to your preference by sticking a $10 resistor in the chain. I suppose the the next step is to experiment with a few different damping factors and see what sounds the best. I'm betting the sweet spot is going to be in the 50-75 ohm range.

Mar 15, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #2,734 of 9,735
  Just got my Eikon.

I am in love. It pairs perfectly with my Jotunheim. 

My Elears are still perfect with my WA7 Fireflies.

I am in music heaven. 

Congrats! Those are two very nice setups!

Mar 15, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #2,735 of 9,735
Just got my Eikon.

I am in music heaven. 

Nice! Good kit man!

Mar 15, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #2,736 of 9,735
Some more Atticus testing for me tonight as well. Plugged the 100ohm resistor into the Milo vocal is definitely more out front. My best guess is the vocal comes up by about 2-3db and the bass comes down by about 3db. I'd like to get this all measured, but I feel pretty confident that's in the ballpark.

I think it's safe to conclude that the resistors have a noticeable effect, which is great news because you can effectively balance the bass and mids to your preference by sticking a $10 resistor in the chain. I suppose the the next step is to experiment with a few different damping factors and see what sounds the best. I'm betting the sweet spot is going to be in the 50-75 ohm range.

Once you find the sweet spot, might be better to make a cable with a really good resistor built in line?

Mar 15, 2017 at 1:48 AM Post #2,737 of 9,735

PS - I killed my amp like an idiot.  It's been a long day and I thought the amp was off while I was swapping tubes.  It was most definitely not.  :frowning2:  Fortunately, I'm handy with a soldering iron and Garage1217 has great customer service.  I suspect it's salvageable.

Noooooo! I'm so sorry to hear that! Let us know if you get it back up and running!

Also. I ordered the Maxxxed WA6 today! It's coming with a Mullard GZ and Sophia Princess among other quality tubes. I'm so excited! Gonna be fantastic paired with the Super ZMF Bros. The hype is REAL.

Mar 15, 2017 at 2:13 AM Post #2,738 of 9,735
  Noooooo! I'm so sorry to hear that! Let us know if you get it back up and running!

Thanks, but it's not the end of the world.  I have a few more amps handy that I can use in the meantime.  Just none that sound as good with the Atticus.

Also. I ordered the Maxxxed WA6 today! It's coming with a Mullard GZ and Sophia Princess among other quality tubes. I'm so excited! Gonna be fantastic paired with the Super ZMF Bros. The hype is REAL.

Cool, looking forward to impressions!

Mar 15, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #2,739 of 9,735
Once you find the sweet spot, might be better to make a cable with a really good resistor built in line?

Yeah, I'll get it built into an XLR > 1/4" adaptor, so I can just plug it into an existing cable. I have... a lot of cables.

Mar 15, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #2,740 of 9,735
Re the pads, any chance we can still get the extra pads for those of us who put in the order before the clarification?

Mar 15, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #2,741 of 9,735
The black is definitely warmer than the red. Very curious about that pairing, because I've read reviews saying the Atticus is already a warm headphone.

That's what I've heard, too...From everything I'm reading on this thread, I have a feeling that with either one the Atticus will be somewhat underpowered. They seem to love the extra juice. It might sound OK, but I'm guessing not to the full potential.

Just got my Eikon.

I am in music heaven. 

That is one rockin' setup...actually two. I went for a used Hugo for my Eikon, but I'm still debating on a Jot to go balanced with. What a hobby.

Mar 15, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #2,743 of 9,735
That's exactly what I would want--but how do you actually build a resistor into an XLR-to-TRS adapter?

There is a whole lot of room in a XLR housing, and resistors are pretty small.

Mar 15, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #2,744 of 9,735
There is a whole lot of room in a XLR housing, and resistors are pretty small.

Hmmm. That explains part of my confusion--but not the main part, which is I don't know how to solder/don't own a soldering gun, so this stuff is voodoo to me.

So:
-- If/when I get an Atticus
-- I'll have to beseech @Hansotek to make me up a custom XLR-to-TRS adapter containing whatever best value resistor he determines
-- No doubt this will mean supplying him w/a suitable adapter, one he knows comes apart easily and can so be modified w/o too much trouble.

I'm liking the direction of this whole resister-mod string, though. It means that if I get an Atticus, I could tweak its performance easily/conveniently using any of my current SS amps. That's a comforting thought, actually (since I really don't plan to get a tube amp in future).

Mar 15, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #2,745 of 9,735
That's what I've heard, too...From everything I'm reading on this thread, I have a feeling that with either one the Atticus will be somewhat underpowered. They seem to love the extra juice. It might sound OK, but I'm guessing not to the full potential.
If it's underpowered, I can just feed my DFR into a separate amp. I'm just wondering if the DAC portion will pair well with the Atticus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back