ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Mar 13, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #2,688 of 9,735
Didn't mean to put a full-court press on you here. It's just that ;you're one of the few (and first) people to comment in detail on the Atticus. If memory serves you heard both A&E in pre-pro form, not to mention tried various amps on each.

I like most of what I hear about the Atticus, but it sounds like getting an amp to really bring out its best means paying attention to "damping factor"--which isn't even listed for many amps in my experience.

Just checked the Violectric v281, and they actually do list it:

[COLOR=000000]Damping factor  (Load 50 Ohm): 500 unbal. / 250 bal.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]Problem is I don't know if even the lower number is considered "low" (+ the impedance they measure at is 1/6th of the impedance of the Atticus).[/COLOR]

Oh, no worries at all! Like I said, I'm trying to figure out where this extra little bit of magic is coming from. I experimented with a 100 ohm resistor the other day with some interesting results, so now I ordered a 20 ohm and 75 ohm resistor, just to see what happens. I will report my findings.

The output impedance on the Vioelectric is 0.1ohm on unbalanced and 0.2 ohm balanced. That will result in a very high damping factor of 3,000 on the Atticus.

You can calculate the damping factor of any headphone and amp combo by dividing the headphone's impedance by the amps output impedance. In this case 300/0.1=3,000. The damping factor is essentially the amps ability to stop the driver from moving. Typically, a damping factor of 8 is sufficient for most applications, but higher damping factors have been shown to have an effect and several companies are big believers in pushing it as low as possible. But in some cases, dropping the damping factor lower (say, 3-6) can create a pleasurable sound (particularly with 300 ohm headphones).

I'm basically experimenting right now to see how much or how little effect this can have on the Atticus's sound.

Mar 13, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #2,689 of 9,735
Sorry for the confusion the two sets of pads was a pre-order special.  I will add an option to add an extra set of pads at a discount on the order page.  I will also update the website to make it less confusing. 

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Mar 13, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #2,690 of 9,735
Sorry for the confusion the two sets of pads was a pre-order special.  I will add an option to add an extra set of pads at a discount on the order page.  I will also update the website to make it less confusing. 

That's no fun, thought I was getting 2 set per headphones as well..

Mar 13, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #2,693 of 9,735
At CanJam NYC I heard Eikon with stock cable driven by V281 and was surprised how great it sounded so it will have no problems driving Atticus as well

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Wow--this is good to know! Now I just have to sell a kidney & buy a v281!

(that came out as sarcasm: instead, maybe sell a couple other amps & buy a v281)

Mar 13, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #2,694 of 9,735
Oh, no worries at all! Like I said, I'm trying to figure out where this extra little bit of magic is coming from. I experimented with a 100 ohm resistor the other day with some interesting results, so now I ordered a 20 ohm and 75 ohm resistor, just to see what happens. I will report my findings.

The output impedance on the Vioelectric is 0.1ohm on unbalanced and 0.2 ohm balanced. That will result in a very high damping factor of 3,000 on the Atticus.

You can calculate the damping factor of any headphone and amp combo by dividing the headphone's impedance by the amps output impedance. In this case 300/0.1=3,000. The damping factor is essentially the amps ability to stop the driver from moving. Typically, a damping factor of 8 is sufficient for most applications, but higher damping factors have been shown to have an effect and several companies are big believers in pushing it as low as possible. But in some cases, dropping the damping factor lower (say, 3-6) can create a pleasurable sound (particularly with 300 ohm headphones).

I'm basically experimenting right now to see how much or how little effect this can have on the Atticus's sound.

I for one am glad you're doing this experimentation...though I can't visualize how you're actually using these resistors (is soldering involved)?

Either way, the whole idea of decreasing damping is surreal to me. I came of age in audio w/big jumbo audiophile speakers w/subs built in. And there, the big concern was increasing damping, particularly in the low-end drivers (by using over-built SS amps). Though I did use tube speakers for mids/highs, so perhaps I was ignorantly exploiting the higher-damping issue (or not).

I guess the whole headphones-as-little-speakers metaphor breaks down a little when it comes to a high impedance dynamic design that may respond well sonically to higher damping factors than most SS amps produce.

Headphone audio remains an adventurous path. Not everything works exactly as predicted.

Mar 13, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #2,695 of 9,735
That's no fun, thought I was getting 2 set per headphones as well..

That's what it says on the product page. "Every Eikon and Atticus headphone comes with two sets of pads." That's disappointing for sure. I'd be happy if just one Ori pads came with my Atticus and Eikon cans. I don't need two but I was kind of expecting both sets.

Mar 13, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #2,696 of 9,735
I for one am glad you're doing this experimentation...though I can't visualize how you're actually using these resistors (is soldering involved)?

Either way, the whole idea of decreasing damping is surreal to me. I came of age in audio w/big jumbo audiophile speakers w/subs built in. And there, the big concern was increasing damping, particularly in the low-end drivers (by using over-built SS amps). Though I did use tube speakers for mids/highs, so perhaps I was ignorantly exploiting the higher-damping issue (or not).

I guess the whole headphones-as-little-speakers metaphor breaks down a little when it comes to a high impedance dynamic design that may respond well sonically to higher damping factors than most SS amps produce.

Headphone audio remains an adventurous path. Not everything works exactly as predicted.

I just bought some of these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/381662639828

It's just an experiment at this point.

Yeah, in most cases, I'm an advocate of higher damping factors as well. I use heavy-gauge DanaCables for just about everything in my system, whose impedance measurements in milliohms, so I'm a believer for sure.

But Grizzlybeast's post the other day reignited my curiosity about this topic on the Atticus... his experience mirrored mine so closely... so I'm going to play scientist for a bit and see if I can figure it out. I'm kind of a nerd like that.

Mar 13, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #2,697 of 9,735

Yeah, in most cases, I'm an advocate of higher damping factors as well. I use heavy-gauge DanaCables for just about everything in my system, whose impedance measurements in milliohms, so I'm a believer for sure.

But Grizzlybeast's post the other day reignited my curiosity about this topic on the Atticus... his experience mirrored mine so closely... so I'm going to play scientist for a bit and see if I can figure it out. I'm kind of a nerd like that.

Hail audio nerds! (where would we be w/o them?). I am sorta one, too...

Just looked at those little resister thingies. Didn't even know such things existed. Is each supposed to plug into the amp, then HP cable plugs into female side? If so, unless your HP cable has a 3.5mm business end and your amp has a 3.5mm input jack (few do), aren't you looking at using 2 X 3.5mm-to-6.35mm adapters? 

Re Danacables, funny you mention that. Your review of those (+ comments here) really had me interested in Lizuli, but I just couldn't pull the trigger--too much $$ for cables, when the "pigtail" is included (more than total cost of my Ori; roughly = cost of new Atticus). Apparently I have limits in this hobby.

Just ordered a Forza Audio Works "HPN Noir" balanced copper cable + pigtail for total price of ~1/3 the Danacable Lizuli. That + just ordered LC will let me hear the Ori balanced (and in future, probably Atticus as well).

Mar 13, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #2,698 of 9,735

Careful, you might end up with a $2 plug permanently attached to your ZMFs. Haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back