Attempting to Recable; Could Use Some General Help
Nov 11, 2010 at 1:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

FurobinS

New Head-Fier
Hey Head-Fi,

My Yuin PK3's have had some cabling issues and stopped working. This is the second pair I've gone through in a few years, and I decided to recable a pair instead of purchasing a new one. I found a short guide with pictures here: http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?showtopic=9311&mode=threaded&pid=106296

I have several questions regarding the process, and I hope someone can provide some answers. I have fairly good soldering skills, but actually lack ANY equipment (iron, multimeter, etc...) at the moment.

1. I assume I need solder, soldering iron, multimeter, shrink warp, wire, and a 3.5mm end. Is there anything I am missing?
2. The guide uses MOGAMI 2893 MiniQuad cabling. I think I found it here http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=505, however I'm not sure if it is the same type. He said he removed the jacketing, which I assume is the rubber exterior?
3. Does the cable come twisted like that? I'm not sure if it comes with all 4 cables bundled like that. Also, the website indicates you can choose a color, yet the pictures show several different colors.
4. I am also having difficulty finding the 3.5mm terminate (Neutrik Tiny Plug). Any recommendations on where to find these?

I registered and messaged the original poster of that forum, but it is 2 years old and I assume that I may not receive an answer.

Thanks for your time.

Nov 11, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #2 of 6
FurobinS -

The job you are contemplating is very detailed work on very small stuff. You won't appreciate how small until you try to do it.

You will need a very fine soldering iron, probably 15W with a tiny tip, and very fine solder. They type of iron and solder you will find at your local Radio Shack (if you have those where you live) will be much too large for such fine work.

The iron will cost you about $30US. The solder, shrink wrap and such will not cost much.

Disassembling earpieces is, well, look at the pictures from that other thread. The results are quite nasty.

Also, your issues are likely to be a damaged cable at the earphone or the 3.5 plug end (which, by the way, is universally available as a 3.5mm stereo plug, about $2US). I would recommend that you consider re-using the existing cables by cutting back the damaged area and not trying to use new cables (actually, they  look like cobbles, and I say that in the best possible way ;^)). Trying to make your own cables by twisting fine wires together is not going to be a flexible as the original.

While I'm not trying to dissuade you from attempting this, consider that it is not exactly an easy job, the results are going to be less than satisfactory, and the equipment is going to cost you as much as a new pair of earphones. Of course, you can get future use from the equipment, but still, it's not a job most people would take on.

PF

Nov 11, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #3 of 6
I'm nor familiar with Mogami Mini-Quad but it looks much heavier than Yuin's stock cable which would lessen your comfort level. Plus soldering such small items after cracking the case and then reassembling may be the last time you want to expend such time/effort so your choice of cabling better be well chosen the first time.

Nov 11, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
1. I assume I need solder, soldering iron, multimeter, shrink warp, wire, and a 3.5mm end. Is there anything I am missing?
2. The guide uses MOGAMI 2893 MiniQuad cabling. I think I found it here http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=505, however I'm not sure if it is the same type. He said he removed the jacketing, which I assume is the rubber exterior?
3. Does the cable come twisted like that? I'm not sure if it comes with all 4 cables bundled like that. Also, the website indicates you can choose a color, yet the pictures show several different colors.
4. I am also having difficulty finding the 3.5mm terminate (Neutrik Tiny Plug). Any recommendations on where to find these?

Might need some hot glue also. And yes, you must remove the rubber jacket and also the shield in order to use this cable with the Yuins. The conductor is 26awg, which is small enough to do the job. After the removing the jacket, the 4 conductors look like that. You could untwist all of them and re-braid to get better looking. The color the website mentions is for the jacket. The conductors always have the 4 different colors as in the pics. Neutrik is the smallest one you could find. Where to find it? How about the same place you're going to get the cable? http://www.redco.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=45&cat=Mini%2F3.5mm+%2B+2.5mm+Connectors

Nov 11, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #5 of 6
First, thank you for taking the time to reply.

@Irish
I don't mind spending the initial cost for materials and tools, as I am planning on using them anyways. I was planning on purchasing everything online.

I know for certain that the issue is there is some kind of break or disconnection between the wire and the 3.5mm end (where it flexes slightly). I have two pairs of the earbuds, both damage in the exact same way (but I do love them to death as a cheap bud to use on the go or while running/working out), so I don't particularly mind if I completely obliterate one pair. I wanted that particular 3.5mm end also because I thought it might relieve some of the stress that caused the initial damage.

@Listen2tubes
I think they are actually microphone cables, I'm not sure. Do you have any suggestions for an alternative?

@Lil' Knight
Hot glue is probably something I'll need to reseal the earbuds, yeah. I'm assuming there is a thread where to find a better way to re-braid?

Oh, and it was silly of me, I looked on that site for the connectors but overlooked that section I guess.

I've seen your avatar somewhere before also...I think a friend of mine uses a lot of those faces on QQ, is that where that's from?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back