Atlanta Mini-Meet at Fitz's - 08/08/07
Aug 9, 2007 at 2:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Fitz

Headphoneus Supremus
Okay, this is a stub for the mini-meet at my place, so for those of you who were here, go ahead and post your pictures and impressions when you get a chance. I'm still putting all my headphones back up and getting my system reassembled, so I'll post my own impressions later tonight or tomorrow.
eggosmile.gif

Aug 9, 2007 at 3:56 AM Post #2 of 23
Guess I'll get this show on the road, even though I am horrible at typing up these kind of things. I didn't really go to this meet to audition new gear, so my impressions of that kind are rather brief. I did try out the RS-2 and HD650s that were brought by the gentleman who came all the way from Alabama (Iceroid I believe) to join in on this little shindig. With the brief time that I spent with both of these phones, I believe that I am neither a Grado nor Sennheiser kinda person. Both headphones definitely had their strengths, but my K240 is just so smooth sounding, and it does everything so well. Fitz's pair of Stax Sigmas were quite pleasing to listen to though. I can't imagine anybody putting these on a not having a smile on their face shortly afterwards.

Everybody present had the typical head-fi demeanor about them. That is, extremely pleasant to be around with. For the most part I let everybody else do the talking while I tried to take everything in. Lots of useful information was obtained during this little get together. Maybe I'll have something useful (key word) to contribute at the next big meet, which I believe we are about due for.

Overall, it was a great time. Thanks again.

Aug 9, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #3 of 23
I was planned to head down, however some family issues got in the way
but Im glad all went well and look forward to some pics and reviews

O, and congrats on not being a Senn or Grado man.
icon10.gif

Aug 9, 2007 at 7:24 AM Post #4 of 23
Pictures please!
tongue.gif

Cause I am pretty sure you guys/gils had a nice time, and don't mind sharing it with us...

Aug 9, 2007 at 3:53 PM Post #5 of 23
Fitz, thanks for opening your house and hosting this mini-meet. I had a chance to try a lot of new gear and came away wanting two new headphones: Sigma and AKG K240M (witht the passive radiators). Both had a lot of base and ofered very good detail and clarity.

The 981 sounded fantastic as well as the Darkvoice 336i. I was able to listen to this combo with the RS-2, HD650 w/ the Zu-Nubius, AKG K240M, and Ultrasone PROline 2500. Very nice, lots of bass impact and extension. Female vocals were very pleasant.

It will take a while for me to post pictures snce I am on vacation and did not bring with me the right cable to pull the pictures out of the camera.
redface.gif

By the way Fitz, loved seeing so many old MGB's in your garage/parking area. Brought back a lot of good memories (I have ereased the bad ones) of my 1967 MGB.

Aug 9, 2007 at 10:53 PM Post #6 of 23
I wanna thank Fitz again for opening up his house for us to come over with a wrecking ball for the evening. I had a great time and made a startling discovery: "There's Something About Ultrasone!" Once I tried out the Proline 2500's I couldn't put them down for a good(amazing) half-hour. The midrange just sung out to me and Female vocals were bliss. The only thing I didn't like about them is I wish they had just a little bit more treble energy. The K-501's were also a big hit with me. I don't understand why everyone says they have no bass! The bass was at an absolutely perfect level for me. Though my view may be slightly skewed since I also have no problems with Etymotic ER-4 and Yuin PK-1 bass. Well im out of time for the moment but I will come back later and finish my impressions.

Here's some pics:

img0061sk4.jpg

img0062xx7.jpg

img0063ur8.jpg

img0064uu2.jpg

Fitz cleaning mwallace573's Little Dot 2++ tubes
img0065se0.jpg

Aug 10, 2007 at 3:15 AM Post #7 of 23
Alright, now that I've taken inventory and made sure Miguel didn't snatch one of my K240 Sextets, I can get on with posting impressions.
wink.gif

I'd already heard most of the phones present at the meet, but I listened to three new ones: Grado RS-2, Ultrasone PROline 2500, and Equation Audio RP-21.

The RS-2 was actually a nice surprise compared to the Grados I've auditioned in the past. Much more relaxed and easier to listen to than their cheaper siblings. My only major issue with them is the typical Grado comfort, or lack thereof, because they sounded just fine otherwise.

Moving on to the Ultrasones, there definitely is something about Ultrasone! I just haven't figured out what it is yet. The 2500 managed to have a lot of upper treble energy while still sounding congested up top, which left me a bit nonplussed. I tried them a few times during the meet with different music, and they still sounded only decent at best for me.

I was quite impressed with the RP-21 however. It's hard to believe they cost what they do, considering how good they sounded. They lacked a bit of top end compared to the powerful, deep bass and full midrange, but they were just too fun to listen to for me to really care otherwise. I preferred them to the 2500 and RS-2, at least.

I would like to thank everyone for being able to show up for a meet on such short notice, and for not destroying any of my AKGs. I had a great time.
eggosmile.gif

Aug 12, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #10 of 23
Looks like fun! Wish I could have been there.
Fitz the RP-21's are pretty amazing considering their price aren't they. I got mine for $80.00.
Those Sigmas just look cool!
OK, I have to ask...Did Fitz get in a fight with his GF and then cook for everyone?

Aug 12, 2007 at 9:23 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, I have to ask...Did Fitz get in a fight with his GF and then cook for everyone?

No, that only happens when you're around.
redface.gif

Aug 12, 2007 at 10:09 PM Post #12 of 23
Oh OK.
wink.gif

Miguel you should really hear those Sextetts balanced on the Dual Darkvoice monoblocks. You can just get lost in the music for hours on end. I have to give Fitz full credit for rediscovering these lesser known little beauties.

Aug 12, 2007 at 11:03 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Oh OK.
wink.gif

Miguel you should really hear those Sextetts balanced on the Dual Darkvoice monoblocks. You can just get lost in the music for hours on end. I have to give Fitz full credit for rediscovering these lesser known little beauties.

I give him credit allright! But I truly hate you as well as him for reminding me of the Balanced Sextetts on a Dual Darkvoice.
icon10.gif
Beautiful stuff!

By the way, if I had known that all I had to do was start a fight to get a free meal ...
wink.gif

Aug 12, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way, if I had known that all I had to do was start a fight to get a free meal ...
wink.gif

That was a funny reference to a dream I had, and told Fitz about.
The eery thing is that Fitz in my dream looked almost identical to Fitz in real life, and I'd never seen a pic of him before that.

Aug 13, 2007 at 10:47 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

That was a funny reference to a dream I had, and told Fitz about.
The eery thing is that Fitz in my dream looked almost identical to Fitz in real life, and I'd never seen a pic of him before that.

Are you by any chance one of the 4400?
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back