ATH W-100 - still good after break in is "over"?
May 21, 2002 at 11:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dougli

500+ Head-Fier
Most of the posts on the Audio Technica W-100 phones talk about how their sound improves after many (60-100) hours of breakin. So I'm wondering, how do they sound after many more hours of use past the "break in point", whatever that is? Yes, I know, headphone break in itself is controversial...but:

Do they keep sounding about the same?

Do they keep getting sounding better?

Does the sound even start to deteriorate?

Thanks. I'm afraid I'm getting way too close to buying these things...

May 21, 2002 at 11:44 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by dougli
Most of the posts on the Audio Technica W-100 phones talk about how their sound improves after many (60-100) hours of breakin. So I'm wondering, how do they sound after many more hours of use past the "break in point", whatever that is? Yes, I know, headphone break in itself is controversial...but:

Do they keep sounding about the same?

Do they keep getting sounding better?

Does the sound even start to deteriorate?

Thanks. I'm afraid I'm getting way too close to buying these things...

I own these cans and i must say you need to have patience. Lots of it. But you will be rewarded. I have about 60 hours on mine and they are starting to mold into great cans. And I am only using a portable cd player with out any amp support. Keep that fact in mind.

May 22, 2002 at 1:25 AM Post #3 of 5
After a point, the changes are far more subtle than during the first 72-100 hours. Solomon, Tomcat, and I may be the first set of Head-Fi owners, but we've not had them all that long to really answer your question!

If the break-in is due to the wood, well, think of what happens as great violins age.

They are bewitching. And there's a pair on the Sales Corner...
evil_smiley.gif

May 22, 2002 at 10:56 AM Post #4 of 5
I got a pair of ATH-A9Xs and after six hours of break in, the sound was like night and day.
Important is ......how do they sound to you?
md

May 23, 2002 at 5:02 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by JML
After a point, the changes are far more subtle than during the first 72-100 hours. Solomon, Tomcat, and I may be the first set of Head-Fi owners, but we've not had them all that long to really answer your question!

If the break-in is due to the wood, well, think of what happens as great violins age.

They are bewitching. And there's a pair on the Sales Corner...
evil_smiley.gif

Thanks for the plug, JML
smily_headphones1.gif
Yeah, they continue to get better but I think there's just something fundamentally incompatible between my ears and those phones; I find Senns to be extremely musical and euphonic. I can see how others would find the w100s musical and euphonic, moreso if they have a tamer amp than my Melos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back