ATH-M50X Sounds Horrible?
Feb 16, 2016 at 12:00 AM Post #20 of 42
M50x is indeed pretty sibilant. I am with 80hr+ burn in and although it got a little better but because of "V" shaped sound signature it still have quite a heavy emphasis in the highs and it's fatiguing. If you have ever listened to any flat sounding cans or prefer then it might even disturb you. 
Anyway, you should expect even the replaced pairs to the sibilant. There's nothing wrong with the pair. It is the sound signature. Lows and Highs are emphasised. 

Feb 16, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #21 of 42
ATH M50 isn't V shaped.

It is close to neutral. Slightly more bass than neutral, slightly less treble than neutral. So actually it should be warm and bassy.

It isn't neutral per say as the response is a bit uneven. But for the price it seems reasonably neutral. At least based on the FRG.

Feb 16, 2016 at 4:24 AM Post #22 of 42
  M50x is indeed pretty sibilant. I am with 80hr+ burn in and although it got a little better but because of "V" shaped sound signature it still have quite a heavy emphasis in the highs and it's fatiguing. If you have ever listened to any flat sounding cans or prefer then it might even disturb you. 
Anyway, you should expect even the replaced pairs to the sibilant. There's nothing wrong with the pair. It is the sound signature. Lows and Highs are emphasised. 

Umm, I really don't think so. The pair sounded really bad; considering the high praise the cans get for its sound quality, it at least should be a bit clear and less distort like. My apple earpods sound better than those so yeah.

Feb 16, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #23 of 42
  Umm, I really don't think so. The pair sounded really bad; considering the high praise the cans get for its sound quality, it at least should be a bit clear and less distort like. My apple earpods sound better than those so yeah.

HaHa.. OK! Then it could be a defective product. Apple IEMs are no match of it any day that's for sure.
In that case, thanks for starting the thread as this is the first time I am hearing about a defective pair of M50x.
Please share your opinion about the replaced product.

Feb 17, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #25 of 42
  HaHa.. OK! Then it could be a defective product. Apple IEMs are no match of it any day that's for sure.
In that case, thanks for starting the thread as this is the first time I am hearing about a defective pair of M50x.
Please share your opinion about the replaced product.

And I forgot to mention there's NO distortion with M50x provided you are using a decent source. So a good decision to replace them.

No problem. Yeah I really don't think it should be like that. I forgot to mention that in come cases, in the beginning of songs where it isn't very loud, there is the sound of actual distortion, like a small buzzing like cracking sound. The replacement should arrive by next weekend. :)

Feb 18, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #26 of 42
I spent weeks listening to nothing but the M50x and technically had two pairs. It's definitely not supposed to sound the way you have described. The bass is very boosted and the treble is not bright at all; in fact, it's a little recessed, though I didn't particularly notice the latter myself. Take a look at these measurements to see what I mean. Although the mids are where they're supposed to be in those measurements, they sound recessed due to the overwhelming bass.

Also, for better context: I can't stand excess brightness and my neutral reference is the STAX SR-207.

But anyway...if you want to alter the frequency response of any headphone, just follow the EQ guides in my signature.

Feb 18, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #27 of 42
Music Alchemist, 

I've only had the M50x for about 5 weeks now and it's my first "real" full size can.  I too find that the bass is emphasized but it's done pretty well in my opinion.  Pretty clean, punchy, musical bass that can also go very DEEP.  I'm not a basshead by any means but I do like to clearly hear bass notes that even my 8" sub in the living room doesn't seem to play as well.  I've listened to the Sennheiser Momentum before and it sounded better -mostly- than the M50x.  The Momentum didn't have the visceral punch or the subterranean ability of the M50x way down there though.  I know the M50x is far from the top of the headphone world but to the OP, it's also far from "horrible" unless something is messed up in your headphones.

Feb 18, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #28 of 42
  Music Alchemist, 

I've only had the M50x for about 5 weeks now and it's my first "real" full size can.  I too find that the bass is emphasized but it's done pretty well in my opinion.  Pretty clean, punchy, musical bass that can also go very DEEP.  I'm not a basshead by any means but I do like to clearly hear bass notes that even my 8" sub in the living room doesn't seem to play as well.  I've listened to the Sennheiser Momentum before and it sounded better -mostly- than the M50x.  The Momentum didn't have the visceral punch or the subterranean ability of the M50x way down there though.  I know the M50x is far from the top of the headphone world but to the OP, it's also far from "horrible" unless something is messed up in your headphones.

Its bass was so overwhelming that it ruined it for me. Muds up the sound too much. Of course, you can simply reduce the bass via EQ, but that still won't make it anything more than an entry-level audiophile headphone. For a beginner, it might sound amazing. Once you hear quality bass on higher-end headphones, you'll realize how inferior the M50x really is. Ironically, it also lacks impact compared to some headphones that have less emphasized bass.

Feb 19, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #30 of 42
  I spent weeks listening to nothing but the M50x and technically had two pairs. It's definitely not supposed to sound the way you have described. The bass is very boosted and the treble is not bright at all; in fact, it's a little recessed, though I didn't particularly notice the latter myself. Take a look at these measurements to see what I mean. Although the mids are where they're supposed to be in those measurements, they sound recessed due to the overwhelming bass.

That is my assessment also for the M50x.  I am going to return mine.  Good pair otherwise if you like the sound signature.    For my work pair I am using the HD598 paired with my HA-P50 and its soft and mellow sound is great so far while maintaining moderate concentration on another task. I also like the open design which is cooler or wider sound stage.  I am not shopping for anything right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back