ATH-M50x Replacement: Oppo PM-3/BeoPlay H6/Fostex TX-X00/???
Mar 28, 2016 at 5:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

swmtnbiker

Previously known as dpippel
I've been away for a while but I'm looking to bump up my portable rig and I'm seeking out recommendations for a closed headphone to replace my ATH-M50x. Maybe. Even though I list them in the subject, I'm already auditioning the H6 and the PM-3 and find them both to be relatively, um, underwhelming compared to the M50x, which I enjoy quite a bit. Maybe I'm just not giving these two cans enough of a chance, but I was expecting to be blown away (particularly by the PM-3) and was mostly disappointed with both. The Oppo and the B&O both sound a bit lifeless to me compared to the M50x. Both the Oppo and the B&O have narrower soundstages than the M50x. They both sound somewhat more refined to me, but they're lacking that certain special something that make me go "Oooooooh!". So, I'm either looking for something else entirely or secretly want to be convinced that I'm an idiot and I should just keep one or the other and get rid of the M50x. Both the Oppo and the B&O are beautiful, well built cans.

My traveling rig is a 13.3" MacBook Pro Retina -> JRiver Media Center playing FLAC source files -> Audioquest Dragonfly v1.2. I'm looking for a closed, over-ear headphone that's at least somewhat portable and my upper budget limit is $400+/- a few dollars. My home rig is in my sig and I do REALLY love the sound of the HD 600 + Crack+Speedball for reference. Decent isolation is important. I've read great things about the TH-X00 and I can still get in on the current Purpleheart buy over at Massdrop, but I'm concerned about those wood cups and how well they'd hold up on the road. I've also heard that their isolation isn't the best. Not interested in the Momentum as I've already been there and won't be going back.

Any suggestions that might help me focus my search would be most appreciated.

Mar 28, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #2 of 4
The M50X are V-shaped in my opinion whereas the PM-3 are definitely more flat&laid-back with much more polite treble. I would look at the ATH-MSR7 and Yamaha HPH-MT220 as possible portable upgrades. The new X00 Fostex are definitely more fun than the PM-3 from what I've been reading but I don't know exactly how portable you need them to be.

Mar 28, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the recommendations! I've never heard either can and I gotta say that the Yamaha sure is one ugly headphone. :wink: I hate to be vain but don't know if I could get past all that plastic.

My portability requirement is minimal. I'll be traveling with these occasionally and will be using them mostly at work. No public trans use at all. Got to agree with the you about the M50x V-shaped sonics but they have a surprising amount of soundstage as well, which is the main reason I like them. Soundstage goes a long way for me in making up for other shortcomings. I'm thinking that I should spend some more quality time with the Oppo, the B&O, and the M50x and let them all sink in a bit more.

Mar 28, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #4 of 4
  Thanks for the recommendations! I've never heard either can and I gotta say that the Yamaha sure is one ugly headphone. :wink: I hate to be vain but don't know if I could get past all that plastic.

My portability requirement is minimal. I'll be traveling with these occasionally and will be using them mostly at work. No public trans use at all. Got to agree with the you about the M50x V-shaped sonics but they have a surprising amount of soundstage as well, which is the main reason I like them. Soundstage goes a long way for me in making up for other shortcomings. I'm thinking that I should spend some more quality time with the Oppo, the B&O, and the M50x and let them all sink in a bit more.

You might check out the ZMF x Vibro Mk. II (ZxV). There are customizable voicings available from the manufacturer that might be just what you are looking for. It would be a bit of a budget stretch, but if you get what you really want, it's probably worth a little extra cash outlay in the long run. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back