ATH M50 vs DT 770 pro 80 vs SRH 940
Nov 3, 2011 at 6:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

bobleb

New Head-Fier
It's my birthday today and I'm looking to buy a nice set of headphones.

I've listened to a pair of M50's and loved the sound, but the headphones seem a little tight. Do they loosen up over time or am I setting myself up for a headache? I also don't like that they don't completely cover my ears.

The DT770's are noticeably more comfortable, but they're also more quiet. I love the sound on these, too, but would I have trouble hearing out of those headphones if I were to take them on an airplane?

I've also heard good things about the Shure SRH 940's. Would you recommend getting the Shure's instead of the M50 or DT770's?

Which pair would you recommend between these three? Also, do you recommend amping any of these headphones or are they better on their own?

Are there better headphones I should be considering? I'm looking to spend anywhere from $100 to $300.

Nov 3, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #2 of 6
I would recommend either the DT770 Pro or the 940 over the M50 for sure. The 770 has better, more refined bass and clearer separation. In many ways, the 940 is in a totally different realm than either. The 940 is a much flatter, more neutral headphone. It doesn't the bass thump like the 770 or M50 but is definitely the most well balanced of the three. It definitely depends on the types of music you listen to.

As far as volume, all three can get pretty loud (especially with an amp). The 770 definitely benefits from an amp...the bass gets tighter and "thumpier" without becoming boomy and overshadowing, if that makes any sense at all :D 

In my opinion, the 770 is like an M50 ++. I would consider either those or the 940, again depending on your tastes in music.

Nov 3, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #3 of 6
Heya,

What do you listen to?

They're wildly different when you're talking SRH940 and something else.

If you want neutral, the Fischer Audio FA-003 comes to mind. If you want bass-lite, Shure SRH940. If you want bassy, Denon D2000. No amp needed for any of them. All closed back too.

If you want an open headphone, though, that's quite different.

Very best,

Aug 1, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #4 of 6
I would recommend either the DT770 Pro or the 940 over the M50 for sure. The 770 has better, more refined bass and clearer separation. In many ways, the 940 is in a totally different realm than either. The 940 is a much flatter, more neutral headphone. It doesn't the bass thump like the 770 or M50 but is definitely the most well balanced of the three. It definitely depends on the types of music you listen to.

As far as volume, all three can get pretty loud (especially with an amp). The 770 definitely benefits from an amp...the bass gets tighter and "thumpier" without becoming boomy and overshadowing, if that makes any sense at all :D 

In my opinion, the 770 is like an M50 ++. I would consider either those or the 940, again depending on your tastes in music.

Between Shure 940 and Beyerdynamic 770, which one has deeper and tighter quality bass?
Which one has a wider sounds stage, detail separation and smoother treble?

Aug 1, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #5 of 6
Between Shure 940 and Beyerdynamic 770, which one has deeper and tighter quality bass?
Which one has a wider sounds stage, detail separation and smoother treble?

Between the Shure 940 and DT770Pro80, the 770 has deeper bass, but the Shure has tighter (and much better) bass quality, imo. Think boomy and plentiful vs thin and controlled.
The 770 has a wider soundstage and less treble than the 940. The detail is much better on the 940 but separation, they might be equal.

@OP: the 770pro is probably the better buy, the 940 has build quality issues and the sound is too analytical for many

Aug 1, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #6 of 6
+1 for DT770

and if u want something cool of the 3 mentioned... Darth Beyer DT770 maybe :) ...

Cheerz !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back