ATH-M50 sounding IEMs? Budget: $200 USD
Jan 5, 2011 at 11:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

loremipsum

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey Head-fi!

I was thinking about upgrading my Westone 1s. They're pretty good, but they kinda leave me wanting something more. Maybe it's from the rolled-offness of the bass. On the other hand, the ATH-M50's signature fits me perfectly. What are some IEMs around $200 USD that sound a lot like the M50s? Currently I'm looking at the q-Jays as my first choice. I also thought of the Audio-technica ATH-CK90Pro, but apparantly it's very finicky with sources, so I'm not sure that using them unamped out of my iPod Touch would be the best idea. I'm considering the Munitio Teknines and the Radius DDM as well. What does Head-fi think?

Jan 6, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #2 of 3

Quote:
Hey Head-fi!

I was thinking about upgrading my Westone 1s. They're pretty good, but they kinda leave me wanting something more. Maybe it's from the rolled-offness of the bass. On the other hand, the ATH-M50's signature fits me perfectly. What are some IEMs around $200 USD that sound a lot like the M50s? Currently I'm looking at the q-Jays as my first choice. I also thought of the Audio-technica ATH-CK90Pro, but apparantly it's very finicky with sources, so I'm not sure that using them unamped out of my iPod Touch would be the best idea. I'm considering the Munitio Teknines and the Radius DDM as well. What does Head-fi think?

I wouldn't reccommend the Q-jay's in your case, they're balanced armature phones so they will probably seem just as lacking in bass as the westone 1's. a dynamic is your best bet, to my ears, the brainwavz M2's sounded very similar to my M50's.

james

Jan 6, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #3 of 3
ljokerl's review (and others) say that the q-Jays have quite a lot of bass compared to other BA phones, and ljokerl makes them seem a lot like M50s to me: great bass, somewhat recessed mids, average treble. Can anyone who's heard the M50s and any of my choices provide a comparison?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back