ATH M50: Questions Before I Buy
Jan 9, 2012 at 7:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

chickenparm1223

New Head-Fier
I am entering into the world of nice headphones, and I am thinking I am going to buy a pair of ATH M50s.I just have a few very important questions:
  • They have good but not overpowering bass with nice highs and lows, right?
  • Will they be uncomfortable with glasses? (I know that the HD 428 is very comfortable with glasses, but those are not an option-they are not rich enough for me).
  • What should I get for an amp, if any, with my primary source being an iPod/DROID and occasionally my X-Fi?
  • Are there any other cans I should consider?

-Thanks

Jan 9, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #2 of 3
The M50 is not very comfortable with glasses. Generally speaking, most cans with pleather pads are often uncomfortable with glasses. Consider the Beyerdynamic DT250 with velour bads or the KRK KNS 8400 with the memory foam. That is, if comfort is your main priority...

Jan 9, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #3 of 3

Quote:
I am entering into the world of nice headphones, and I am thinking I am going to buy a pair of ATH M50s.I just have a few very important questions:
  • They have good but not overpowering bass with nice highs and lows, right?
  • Will they be uncomfortable with glasses? (I know that the HD 428 is very comfortable with glasses, but those are not an option-they are not rich enough for me).
  • What should I get for an amp, if any, with my primary source being an iPod/DROID and occasionally my X-Fi?
  • Are there any other cans I should consider?

-Thanks

1. Yes, that pretty much describes them. The bass is just a tad boomy, but not overpowering in most circumstances. The only time I've had the bass overpower anything on my M50s was when I had bass boost turned on on my CMoyBB, which was my fault.
2. I've worn my M50s for certain periods just with sunglasses, and they do become uncomfortable for a while. Valour pads would help to remedy this a bit, but nothing in a full-size can will absolutely avoid it.
3. The M50s don't really NEED an amp to sound good and probably benefit very little from amping. However, pairing them with an amp like the CMoyBB from JDS Labs or the FiiO E10 will clean up the bass and help make it sound just a bit better from a portable source.
4. If you're looking for bass, consider the Ultrasone HFI-580. If you're looking for something more neutral, consider the KRK 8400 or the Fischer Audio FA-003/Brainwavz HM5.

Sincerely,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back