ATH M50 Expectations?
Apr 16, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #151 of 370
I hooked my M50 up to my on-board sound card yesterday to let them burn in overnight, and what I heard was not pretty. Astoundingly awful, in fact. I really didn't expect it to be anywhere near that bad. I haven't tried using my E-MU 1212m, but I expect it would perform a lot better. If you have an iPod or similar, I'd give that a try. Even a Shuffle would be a huge improvement over what I heard.

Apr 16, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #152 of 370
I'm going to say it now.

I prefer the M50 to the ES10 soundwise. And yes, I've heard them.

Feast on that, troll.

Apr 16, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #153 of 370
Hey all, I'm new here too.

I just bought the M50s a few days a go after hearing some good reviews. I heard about burning them in, but I looked all over for any specific recommendations for burning these headphones in particular and couldn't find anything to help a newbie like myself.

From out of the box, I did have doubts at first. But then I started playing a different variety of lossless music, and it's starting to sound better but not exactly up to par for every genre (bassy pop songs sound great while old orchestra music with some bass have a weak presence...hopefully I'm using the right terminology). Right now, I'm using the Burninwave generator's pink wave generator for about 24 hours to see if it might improve some.

But I'm still uncertain of what I should do with these headphones. I know there's an FAQ about burning in headphones, but I can't really find anything that can help a major newbie like myself. I've been researching burn in for a few days now and but I can't seem to find the best path for myself.

Are there any recommendations for burning these babies in? Anything to veer away from while burning them in? Details!

Apr 16, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #154 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by Knuckles500 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey all, I'm new here too.

I just bought the M50s a few days a go after hearing some good reviews. I heard about burning them in, but I looked all over for any specific recommendations for burning these headphones in particular and couldn't find anything to help a newbie like myself.

From out of the box, I did have doubts at first. But then I started playing a different variety of lossless music, and it's starting to sound better but not exactly up to par for every genre (bassy pop songs sound great while old orchestra music with some bass have a weak presence...hopefully I'm using the right terminology). Right now, I'm using the Burninwave generator's pink wave generator for about 24 hours to see if it might improve some.

But I'm still uncertain of what I should do with these headphones. I know there's an FAQ about burning in headphones, but I can't really find anything that can help a major newbie like myself. I've been researching burn in for a few days now and but I can't seem to find the best path for myself.

Are there any recommendations for burning these babies in? Anything to veer away from while burning them in? Details!

welcome to head fi! don't worry about burn in....just plug them and listen,they will burn them selves in
wink.gif

Apr 16, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #155 of 370
Okay, from my last post until now, about 80% of it was unnecessary arguing and ranting. Even if it's for your own amusement, do it via PM's, not in someone's thread made solely for advice on a certain headphone.

Apr 17, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #156 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2rooi123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i havent heard the m50 yet but im sure the latter is better due to bigger drivers and its more portable

Now you're trolling for sure
biggrin.gif

Apr 17, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #157 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by revolink24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to say it now.

I prefer the M50 to the ES10 soundwise. And yes, I've heard them.

Feast on that, troll.

dont sour grape. ES10 blows it out to the moon and back

May 15, 2010 at 3:54 AM Post #159 of 370
I'm thinking about nabbing a pair of these myself to replace my HFI-780s. The Ultrasone's have great bass, and is probably my only bassy phone which I use for Hip-hop, and bass heavy electronica, but I don't care much for the highs. They do come across as shrill at times, and I don't really want to spend money on a recable without auditioning what it sounds like first.

My next best choice is the M50 which is cheaper. I don't really mind if it's a step down in terms of sonic ability, but rather the genres I plan on using my M50s for don't really require ultra high resolution to begin with, so it's not really a sacrifice. Basically I'm looking for a pair of fun cans that I can use at home, and sometimes on the road, to compliment my ESW9s. 

Also, what exactly IS the difference between the straight vs. coiled cable, besides the obvious mess that coiled cables have. Is there actually an impact on sound quality?

May 18, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #161 of 370
This is why people shouldn't trust members opinion just because of the number of posts: 2rooi123 has now near 400 posts and most of them are irrelevant comments like he demonstrated in this thread, repeating once and again and again "mine is better", without more elaboration.

Quote:
dont sour grape. ES10 blows it out to the moon and back

May 18, 2010 at 5:30 AM Post #162 of 370

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2rooi123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@shoktong: cause you guys are telling me to go there. id have to spend on air fare and etc.. so might as well sell them to you

hahahaha. this guy is just having fun trolling and you guys are feeding him like no other. just stop paying attention to him. he's only still here because you guys are giving him the reaction he wants, which actually provides quite a bit of entertainment for me. don't be easily trolled guys.

He's not really so much a troll as he is a bad businessman.

He signed up at Headphiles.com (Philippine version of Head-Fi) and post whored himself to 50 posts in a day because you need 50 posts to sell (just like over here).

So far he hasn't made a single sale, mostly because of his disruptive behavior, how none of his posts really contribute anything to the community, and the general "bad vibe" he gives off as you can see.

I don't think he's trolling per se here, he's just really bad at trying to sell his headphones.

May 25, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #163 of 370
I just picked up the M50 and the DT770/80 Pro model to compare. I am running both through a WA3+ via a DacMagic. I am having the hardest time deciding which one I like. I keep going back and forth on the same songs, rap, rock, metal, pop, live music, all lossless. I think I like DT770 but sometimes the base can be a bit much but on rap it sounds great. It also at times can be lacking with vocals and mids but the amp helps that out a lot. Then I start thinking I like the M50 but there are times it just seems like I am in a tunnel and the soundstage isn't as great. It's like I am liking what I am hearing for a minute with the M50 and then I hit a part of the song where it just loses it for me. The only thing I am certain of is that I like my DT880/600 better than both of them :)

May 25, 2010 at 2:48 AM Post #164 of 370
An M50 with huge soundstage would be a heavenly headphone for sure.

May 25, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #165 of 370

Quote:
I just picked up the M50 and the DT770/80 Pro model to compare. I am running both through a WA3+ via a DacMagic. I am having the hardest time deciding which one I like. I keep going back and forth on the same songs, rap, rock, metal, pop, live music, all lossless. I think I like DT770 but sometimes the base can be a bit much but on rap it sounds great. It also at times can be lacking with vocals and mids but the amp helps that out a lot. Then I start thinking I like the M50 but there are times it just seems like I am in a tunnel and the soundstage isn't as great. It's like I am liking what I am hearing for a minute with the M50 and then I hit a part of the song where it just loses it for me. The only thing I am certain of is that I like my DT880/600 better than both of them :)

Same thing that happened to me. I honestly think the M50 sounds almost exactly like the DT770/80 Pro with just a teeny bit less bass, and noticably smaller soundstage. Other than that, they're very much alike, IMHO. So honestly, if you want the M50 with more soundstage and slightly more bass, the DT770 Pro 80 fits the bill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back