ATH-L3000 #403
Aug 27, 2005 at 8:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

bobeau

Headphoneus Supremus
Just in - slightly used L3000s, courtesy of Canman.

A few photos here, don't recall seeing the box/packaging before. Nor have I ever seen a picture of an L3000 w/ a pug.

Box
b87n6c.jpg

Inside box.
b87ptw.jpg

Inside inside box. Sexy Sadie samples the leather goodness.
b87pqe.jpg

Aug 27, 2005 at 10:31 PM Post #3 of 44
Wow, these things sound some kind of unbelievable. Aside from bringing out more hiss on older recordings they're pretty forgiving too. I'm rather inexperienced in the world of headphones so I probably shouldn't say much more... aside from these are a big step up from the A900s. I did have to listen for about an hour and then go back to the 900s to understand exactly the degree of difference, it wasn't terribly obvious at first.

Aug 27, 2005 at 11:16 PM Post #7 of 44
I'ma beat you with a stick if you're not upgrading that Portaphile!
biggrin.gif

Aug 27, 2005 at 11:53 PM Post #8 of 44
At this stage, your bottleneck isn't the headphones but the rest of your gear. The L3000's are revealing enough to tell you exactly how your upstream components sound, more or less. Once you start upgrading your signal path, the differences between your A900 and L3000 are going to become much more obvious. First thing to go: the portaphile. Not a bad amp, but doesn't do the L3000 justice.

Congrats, though. As far as dynamic headphones go, this is pretty much as good as it gets.

Aug 28, 2005 at 12:19 AM Post #9 of 44
fatko,

I went from HD280, to ER-4P/S, to E4c, to A900, to <big jump> L3000s. I'd feel like such a putz trying to do a review, seriously haven't been to a meet and had the opportunity to check out other gear.

akwok/catscratch,

Sure the source isn't the bigger bottleneck? An upgrade is in the works, but I was hoping to cheap out and and go to a MicroDAC/Hornet, at least for the next half year or so until I sell my current place and move into my new downtown loft (gotta see how money I can skim w/ new furniture, AV, and all that). What kind of gear should I be looking at? FWIW this presentation seems just about ideal to my ears, wouldn't want something more aggressive... maybe just a tad more laid back.

surfboardz26,

So?! Didja get it?

Aug 28, 2005 at 1:17 AM Post #10 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobeau
Wow, these things sound some kind of unbelievable. Aside from bringing out more hiss on older recordings they're pretty forgiving too. I'm rather inexperienced in the world of headphones so I probably shouldn't say much more... aside from these are a big step up from the A900s. I did have to listen for about an hour and then go back to the 900s to understand exactly the degree of difference, it wasn't terribly obvious at first.

How do you think the leatherheads handle transients?

A problem I've found with other headphones in the closed audiotechnica line is slow transients (in comparison to Grado/Sennheiser).

Do the leatherheads still have this problem or are they much faster than your A900's?

-Matt

Aug 28, 2005 at 2:25 AM Post #11 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
How do you think the leatherheads handle transients?

A problem I've found with other headphones in the closed audiotechnica line is slow transients (in comparison to Grado/Sennheiser).

Do the leatherheads still have this problem or are they much faster than your A900's?

-Matt

The l3000 is one of the fastest dynamic headphones, faster then grados. This is one of the things that sets it a part from the rest of the line.

Aug 28, 2005 at 4:55 AM Post #13 of 44
Welcome to the L3000 team!! My pair is 402 out of 500.

Aug 28, 2005 at 7:38 AM Post #15 of 44
Congrats bobeau!

What about the "defect" in your L3000? Did you tested them?

Best!
Nicola

Users who are viewing this thread

Back