ATH-AD700 or AKG K240 Studio
Jan 23, 2010 at 8:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

WayTooCrazy

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been searching, and maybe have overlooked, but I haven't found any comparisons of these two headphones. I kinda stumbled onto the AKG K240 Studios at Guitar Center while looking for ATH-AD700s. I noticed at the time (actually for a few weeks) that no retailers had them in stock. Now I noticed that some do at this point.

So my question, I have purchased the AKGs, but 'am still interested in the AD700s. Should I sell the AKGs and get the AD700s or keep the AKGs? What are your impressions of both? If there is a thread that compares them, please post a link for me. Thanks for all your suggestions...

Jan 25, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #3 of 12
I was wondering. The previous thread that I read mentioned that the K240 has a very flat response, and the AD700s were more musical. Isn't this something that could easily be fixed via the EQ settings on an ipod or computer? If so, is it still worth it to sell the K240s and get the AD700s.

Jan 26, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #4 of 12
Any ideas? Should I keep the AKG K240s (I even purchased the 2yr Guitar Center Warranty), or sell them and get the ATH-AD700? My music tastes are mostly Metal, Rock (all styles), some RnB, and once in a while if I want to punish myself... an occasional Hip Hop song.

Jan 26, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #5 of 12
How's the bass on the K240s?

I love my AD700s, but I listen to mostly classical music, which they are great for. I feel there is enough low end response for other music genres as well, but I'll be honest and say that most of my friends who have tried the AD700s prefer my M50 headphones and feel that the AD700 is too flat.

If you're happy with the K240s, just keep 'em!

Jan 26, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #6 of 12
The bass is pretty thin on the K240s, but I'm not a big bass head unless I'm listening to Dance style music. For that stuff, I listen on my home theater. The K240s sound good, and I actually game with them and they do a good job. I just don't see too many people using them, talking about them or anything of that sort. I actually "happened" upon these as I was going to the store looking for the ATH-AD700s and they were not in stock anywhere at the time.

Jan 27, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #8 of 12
I own a K240 Studio and have tried the AD700. The AD700 sounds thinner and the midrange sounds recessed compared to the K240 Studio. The AD700 is better for classical, but for the genres you listen to the K240 would be the better choice.

Jan 27, 2010 at 5:07 AM Post #9 of 12
I have a soft spot for the K240S, so I recommend that.

Jan 27, 2010 at 5:46 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by paranoize /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To me the bass on k240 sounded rather fat-ish than thin.. But actually pretty neutral.

I'm new to the scene, but the only other headphones I own are Sony MDR-V150 (which I actually like alot off of the iPod). The 240s and a pair of Turtle Beach X1 gaming headset. The Bass in the X1 is big, but also very sloppy. To me, the bass in the 240s was thin comparatively...but precise. I like it a lot. I've also compared these to the Bose Quiet Comfort 2, and in my opinion... the AKGs blow those out of the water... the Bose sounded to processed.

Jan 27, 2010 at 5:50 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by kchew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own a K240 Studio and have tried the AD700. The AD700 sounds thinner and the midrange sounds recessed compared to the K240 Studio. The AD700 is better for classical, but for the genres you listen to the K240 would be the better choice.

Thanks. While in Guitar Center... I tried out the Sennheiser HD280 Pro, 380Pro, Shure 440 and the AKGs... I liked the AKGs the best... but the 380 Pros sounded nice. I just liked how the AKGs sounded better at the store. Mine still don't sound as good, nor feel as comfortable... but I guess theirs has seen a lot of heads and have played for hundreds of hours as well.

My next mission with these (since I've decided to keep them), will be to make a custom cable... as the 10ft included cable is too long. I would like a 4ft cable (I sit and listen at my computer desk, as well as game there).

Jan 28, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #12 of 12
I own both and use them to listen through a Graham Slee amp. They are very different and if you look at their frequency responses (elsewhere on the web) you can see why. The K240s are warmer with more low/mids and less top end. The 700s have a more neutral low end, and extended top end making them sound more dynamic. To my ears the K240s sound more natural on voice and acoustic instruments but the 700s are better for a quick blast of heavy rock or drum amd bass. It is personal choice but I find the K240s easier to listen to for a long time, more comfortable on my head and generally less fatiguing. The 700s are good for a MP3 copy of AC/DC "for those about to rock" and the K240s Andrea Bocelli. Dunno if that helps but maybe buy both then sell one after an extended listen.

F

Users who are viewing this thread

Back