ATH-AD700, a simple idea on how to turn up the bass.
Sep 25, 2012 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

LaPierre

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, Head-fiers. It seems to me like the Audio Technica AD700 is quite popular around these parts for an open-headphones, but if often criticized or even hated for it's lack of low frequency response. Well, I've never had an open headphones but rather simply wouldn't an easy fix be to use them with a subwoofer. I mean, this seems like common sense to me. You wouldn't even need to play the subwoofer loud, just set the crossover to 100 hz and listen to music with the AD700.  Any thoughts on this?

Sep 25, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #2 of 11
The thought of using headphones with subwoofers has already been played around with on the forum.  I think the notion is completely ridiculous-- a hobby gone wrong.  Subwoofers are the most intrusive part of a speaker system, so if you're using one you might as well be using a complete 2.1 system.  There's the argument for headphones having better resolution and detail for the cost, but the AD700 is rather muddy in its presentation compared to higher end cans.  There are also good active monitors for cheap that I'd rather use with a sub than having to resort to a headphone with a sub.

Sep 25, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #3 of 11
Actually to get more bass out of the AD700. All one has to do is change the velour pads to pleather ones. I have a A900X just for kicks I changed out the pads and what you know. Much more bass response. Quite amazing actually. And visa versa. My A900X with velours had almost the same amount of bass the AD700 had which was almost none.

Amazing what changing pads can do to a cans sound.

Sep 26, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #4 of 11
Hmm, that does sound like an astounding change, but I think for some of the bassheads around here a change of pads won't satisfy them. Also, what pads are big enough to fit the AD700 or AD900x?

Sep 26, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #5 of 11
Well, a lot of amateurs here don't have much money to get speakers or higher end cans. I'm just saying a simple fix for basslight, open-cands would probably be as easy as a subwoofer. I don't think it'd be a bad combination.

Sep 26, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #6 of 11
I don't think using a sub while using the headphones makes much sense defeats the purpose of using headphones might as well use my speakers then if I'm going to make that kind of noise and low sub-bass is what bother people the most and travels the farthest.  I could see maybe using a tactical transducer with headphones to add some tactical response that all headphones lack but you'd still need the headphone to extend deep enough with enough authority for the heard bass and sensation of bass in your ears.

Sep 26, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
Hmm, that does sound like an astounding change, but I think for some of the bassheads around here a change of pads won't satisfy them. Also, what pads are big enough to fit the AD700 or AD900x?

Haven't used them but these sound blaster ear pads should work with some stretching they fit the 668b.  There an old thread where a member tried all sorts of pads on the AD700 and measured the response and pretty much any different pad was better at capturing the bass pressure then stock pads and the 668b pads where the best of the bunch of keeping the overall sound intact while giving more bass response.

Sep 26, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
Well, a lot of amateurs here don't have much money to get speakers or higher end cans. I'm just saying a simple fix for basslight, open-cands would probably be as easy as a subwoofer. I don't think it'd be a bad combination.

Hrm,

So adding a subwoofer for bass for someone without "much money" ? Really?

By the time you add up the AD700 and this subwoofer, you've got the money to get a complete, very competent, much better headphone.

That said, I've used subwoofers with my headphones. I have four subs in the house. It's an interesting effect. However, I instantly find myself rather using speakers than using headphones when doing that. Using headphones with speakers can generate a very interesting effect, but ultimately why use headphones if you're using speakers anyways.

Very best,

Sep 27, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

A good sub actually costs more money than a good pair of main channels.  It doesn't make much sense with something as cheap as the AD700.

Dec 26, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #10 of 11
I too was a bit unsatisfied with the low end of the ATH-AD700's. I found a very cheap solution for the low end that did "dramatically" increase the bass response to an acceptable level for audiophiles. Ok, so you may want to sit down... DUCK TAPE! (Make that 1002 uses! :) Yep, I couldn't find any solid film replacement earpads, so I carefully cut and shaped duck tape (the cool "raceway checkered" design, not the grey) to cover all the velour area. Of course 53mm drivers are capable of putting out plenty of their own bass signature!

I used 4 strips of duck tape on each pad, essentially 2 vertical and 2 horizontal, that wrap around the sides of the velour leaving an open square in front of the driver. Pinching/cutting any excess around the sides.

The isolation the duck tape provides definitely helps. It becomes a whole new and improved headphone. The bass was always there!!! It seals completely around the ear much better for better db pressure. And for my small head, holds the hp's on my head much better. It creates a much better chamber for the sound. IMO, MUCH better, without any loss in its other very good sound qualities. It may bring the sound stage in just a smidgen. A good thing in my book. Besides, it was open and airy enough as it were.

I wanted to add a picture or two. I would be glad to share a picture through email so someone could post it here, as "My account does not have the required permission to access [insert image] page."

*The duck tapes sticks fine to the velour and can be pulled off carefully with ease. The only exception is it sticking to the 1/2 inch thin, fragile!! pleather that attaches the pad to the headphone rim. Its sticks a bit too well to the pleather rim, FYI.

Give it a try! Its not uncomfortable as one might imagine once it molds/seals to the shape of your head. I took the tape off at one point and was instantly reminded why I put it on in the first place.

ps. To stay true to this thread about adding a subwoofer....I recommend attaching a real horse to your car to increase its horsepower... Is that a good analogy? hmm

Dec 26, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #11 of 11

I don't think true bassheads would buy the ad700 to begin with,at least not with proper research,..unless they happen to want them for competitive gaming and not their music. also,FYI,the ad900x has lots of bass,both in quantity and quality (relatively speaking for this thread) and should probably not be mentioned here. although,with my definition of basshead,they might want to consider something else entirely other than one of the hi-fidelity open series from Audio Technica,..perhaps a closed version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back