ATH-AD2000X, ATH-W1000X and ATH-ESW11LTD
Jun 30, 2013 at 9:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

IrfCore

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I am looking into Audio Technica headphones and I am considering to buy both a open and closed headphones at the same time.

This is a big step up for me.
I currently use Audio Technica ATH-ES55 for portable use and I am keeping my ES55 for training/working out.
I also have KRK KNS-8400 and AKG K550 which I love but I don't like using with ASUS Xonar STX.

I am looking for headphones that have similar sound as K550 but hopefully better.
Clarity is main goal and I prefer headphones with natural sound and bass or no added bass.

ATH-AD2000X I definitely want but would appreciate any input of those who have ATH-AD2000X.

ATH-W1000X and ATH-ESW11LTD
For closed headphones I considering these two.
Which of these are better for my taste?
My guess is both and I'm interested in the difference.
Any input is much appreciated.

Jun 30, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #2 of 22
Of those 3 headphones, I think the W1000X is the closest to ES55.

Last time I heard the AD2000 (not the X), it sounded like it had a lot of treble. Much more than ES55. Not sure if the X version fixed that, but from reading impressions and frequency response graphs, I don't see that.

And last time I heard the ESW11LTD, it sounded warm, laid back, and didn't really have as much treble or clarity as ES55.

If portability is a concern, then you should also consider the ES10. It's similar to the ESW11LTD, but has better clarity and more treble.

If portability isn't a concern, W1000X + a good tube amp is a killer setup. You can also modify the W1000X further for even better sound.

Jun 30, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #3 of 22
Thanks but I don't want what ES55 has.
That's just for portable use when I'm active.
I rather have similar sound to AKG K550.
AD2000X sounds something I would like.

I like in your face kind of sound with a wide sound but it has to be clear.

Is W1000x similar to K550?

Jun 30, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:
Thanks but I don't want what ES55 has.
That's just for portable use when I'm active.
I rather have similar sound to AKG K550.
AD2000X sounds something I would like.

I like in your face kind of sound with a wide sound but it has to be clear.

Is W1000x similar to K550?

Short answer: no.

Long answer: W1000X has very solid thumping bass, K550 not really.

In your face but wide? W1000X's sound stage is not that wide, but you'd have to spend more money to get something like that anyways.

Jun 30, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #6 of 22
Ok so I will try AD2000X for use at home.

I like the bass in K550, just right for me.
More is also okay if the bass is clean.

"Wide in your face" by that I mean when it feels like the sound is coming from everywhere around but you still feels like it's pumping in your ears.
Don't know if that makes any sense :D

So what are my options for closed headphones?

Price not that important but I don't want to spend a lot more for that extra 1-2% of sound quality.
I would prefer headphones with at most 100ohm

Jul 1, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #7 of 22
Am I better of getting another open AKG model that's similar to K550 or AD2000X?

It's best for me to keep my AKG K550 for portable use.
If anyone has any recommendation to replace K550 I am open to suggestions.

I'm also curious about half/semi open headphones.
What's my options in semi-open for clear sound?
I'm thinking maybe it's best to have something like that in the summer heat when the windows is open :)

BILL-P and LinkPro
Thanks a lot, I appreciated it.

Jul 1, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #8 of 22
Closed headphone that has sound similar to AKG K550 but efficient and not over 100 Ohm... only thing on the market right now I can think of is Audio Technica ATH-W5000.

It's 40 Ohm, and sensitivity is really high at 102dB/mW. Power requirement is not high at all. You just need a source that can output clean sound.

Don't let the woody look bother you. The W5000 is clean, clear, and with very bright treble. It's very unlike the W1000X, which has a slightly warmer and darker sound, and much more bass emphasis.

I can't stand bright treble, that's why I went for the W1000X instead of the W5000. But I think you'll love W5000 if you like K550.

You may notice I didn't mention W3000ANV. That's because W3000ANV is even more polite than W1000X, which is already very different from K550.

Jul 1, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #9 of 22
Thanks Bill-P.

I will get the Audio Technica W5000 to try.

I am a bit unsure if the HongKong/China sellers sell authentic products...
Where else than eBay can I get these?

I live in Sweden, anyone know any EU store that has W5000?
Maybe my best option is from Japan?

I still need help with open headphones and after reading about AKG K712, I think K712 would fit me very well.
Maybe I'm completely wrong here, any suggestions?

Jul 1, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #10 of 22
You can check the for sale forums here. I'm quite sure I have seen a W5000 go for around $600 shipped. Translated to Euro, that's not a lot.

If you're looking for open headphones in the same price range, why not try out planar magnetic? The Hifiman HE-500 is a very good (and popular) option in my opinions.

Jul 1, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #11 of 22
OP If you find the K550 as the basis of a natural sound that you wish to improve upon- I wouldn't recommend the W5000. I don't have on-hand exprience with the AKG but the consensus is that they are quite close to a neutral or at least balanced repsonse. The W5000, OTOH, is defintely colored sounding. It's a very much detailed and clear but the upper mids are very prominent and the treble is also very lively, mainly the lower treble. It's a very refined presentation but can often be very intense, for good or bad. It's probaly best to audiotion first or at least do a good amount of digging and reading on these forums before deciding about them. There's a wealth of information and impressions. And btw, they are not really closed-back fully sealed headphones. No non-professional AT phone is. There is an air gap between the wooden caps and the frame, which makes them very partially closed. This is similiar to all AT cans that are not strictly for studio application.

ATH- A2000x might be a 'safer bet', It's from the 'Art Monitor' series and is supposed to be the more neutral than W5000. And I'd reckon that you'll get the clarity you seek with these shiny titnaium earcups.
wink.gif

Jul 1, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #13 of 22
Thank you very much, both of you.

I'll dig some more and will let all of you know what I decide.

A2000x sound very interesting!

Is A2000x equal to AD2000X?
Asking because of the name.
If so, I maybe will get both.

Many headphones that I have heard/read or been advised have to much treble I have usually liked.
I prefer clarity with natural clean bass.
Somewhere around bass amount that ATH-M50 has is my limit.
I can listen to similar headphones but then the bass has to be sharp or clean.
The common "enhanced" bass is a usually a nightmare for me.
Flat sound with clarity sums it up.

Jul 1, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #15 of 22
Bill I know, as I mentioned in my first post I am looking for a closed and open, meaning two headphones.

My first goal is to find good open headphones, I'm thinking of AD2000x since I like treble.

W5000 or A2000x to replace my AKG K550 but I'm unsure of this. I need more input and do some more research before I can make a decision.
I love my K550, so unless I found anything better I am keeping K550.

Quote:
The AKG K550 is the same as the W5000. You can just go ask around and see if they don't have the same upper midrange and lower treble peak.

It's definitely not "close to neutral" or even "balanced" by any standard.

Same in what way, similar or sound the same?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back