ATH-AD2000
Jun 4, 2006 at 6:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

geek707

100+ Head-Fier
So how does the AD2000 compare to the Senn HD650? I have been asking myself that since my AD2000 arrived here on Thursday.
Looks and Feel: The AD is very light, and very comfortable. The ear pads do rest on your ears rather than around them like the HD. Not a bad thing just different. The are a bit more efficient than the Senn, not as much as the CD3000 Sony, but I have had to turn down my amp several steps. In general the Audio Technica feels better made than the Sennheisers or the Sonys that I have had. I like the way it looks.
The sound.
I think if you like the Sennheiser HD650 you will like the AD2000. A lot. The sound is very similar in many ways, not in your face like the Grados I have listened to. Not cold like the Sony. (To be fair I have not listened to the SA5000, the Sonys I had were the CD3000, and 1700). Also keep in mind I really do not like closed head phones, really, really don't like them. I am finding myself more involved in the music. I never understood what people were talking about when they referred to the Sennheiser veil. I do now. The AD is like HD650s on steroids. No veil, better bass, more involving midrange, highs are effortless, and clean. Imaging feels better with a better focus. Any one thing does not stand out, but taken as a whole they add up to a much more involving sound.
It's too bad that these phones are not imported by AT. I think they would make a good step up from the $350-$400 range phones like the HD650, but $750? I don't think so, I would not pay that much for them.
So hopefully my first headphone review is not too lame, and I have communicated something of what these phones sound like.

Jun 4, 2006 at 9:40 AM Post #2 of 6
Thanks for the impressions. These are going to be my next AT cans.

Jun 4, 2006 at 10:41 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Danamr
It's too bad that these phones are not imported by AT. I think they would make a good step up from the $350-$400 range phones like the HD650, but $750? I don't think so, I would not pay that much for them.

They can be had for much less (around $500-600) at bluetin and pricejapan, last time I checked. Even better prices for used, of course, but they are relatively rare in sale forums.

Jun 4, 2006 at 10:44 AM Post #4 of 6
I've appreciated a lot the ATH-AD2000, I think it's a wonderful headphone: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=168016

But I also think they are very different from Sennheiser HD650, the AD2000 is clearly "colored" on midrange (and it's a very musical and involving coloration, indeed), with very different final listening sensation between ATH and Senns.

Andrew

Jun 4, 2006 at 5:11 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by amartignano
I've appreciated a lot the ATH-AD2000, I think it's a wonderful headphone: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=168016

But I also think they are very different from Sennheiser HD650, the AD2000 is clearly "colored" on midrange (and it's a very musical and involving coloration, indeed), with very different final listening sensation between ATH and Senns.
Andrew

Maybe. I am still struggling with the differences, and I do agree that the final result is different. I guess what I am trying to get across is that if you are a Sennheiser fan, which I am, this might be a valid step up, as opposed to say a set of Grados, Sonys, or AKGs. The sound is different, but in a way that engages you.
It's very hard to get across. I really like Sennheisers, I have owned 560, 580, 600, and 650, and I still have the 580 and 650. The 650 was my clear favorite up to now. I have owned a couple of Sonys, and spent time with friends Grados, and Beyers. I really did not expect to be so strongly affected by these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back