ATH-A900LTD vs ATH-AD2000???
Mar 2, 2008 at 4:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

shellylh

Sugar and spice and all things nice
I have been thinking about getting a pair of ATH-AD2000s. I have a pair of ATH-A900LTD that I really like. Has anyone compared the two? If so, could you tell me the differences and similarities (besides the fact that one is closed and the other is not
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Mar 2, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #3 of 26
How does the A900LTD compare with the normal A900? Are the mids still recessed?

Mar 3, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #6 of 26
Interesting, do you think this is because the AD2000 is open and the other two closed?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have preferred AD2000 over W1000 and W5000...
and LTD is extremely similar to regular model - I wouldn't bother.

Mar 3, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting, do you think this is because the AD2000 is open and the other two closed?

Mostly due to AD2000's amazing bass + and its beautiful mids + versatility
W5000 may not be the one for my taste - not that they're worse than AD2000.
Plus, I just got my pair so it's my "new-toy-it's-so-good" syndrome.

Mar 3, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #8 of 26
I see you have a pair of K701s as well. How do the AD2000s compare to the K701? I assume have heard that they are not as transparent as the K701s but have a punchier bass and are more musical. Is that your opinion?

Quote:

Mostly due to AD2000's amazing bass + and its beautiful mids
W5000 may not be the one for me

Mar 3, 2008 at 2:33 AM Post #9 of 26
Have never heard the A900. Sorry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xoen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does the A900LTD compare with the normal A900? Are the mids still recessed?

Mar 3, 2008 at 2:45 AM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

I see you have a pair of K701s as well. How do the AD2000s compare to the K701? I assume have heard that they are not as transparent as the K701s but have a punchier bass and are more musical. Is that your opinion?

I edited it a bit - yeah, it's just my opinion - I'm sure lots will disagree.
So far, I actually hear MORE detail in AD2000 - especially in bass section.
AD2000s definatly have punchier bass, unlike HD650's smooth bass.
I may let go of my K701s, because AD2000 does everything better IMO, save for classical music -I may get K501s instead.
As for transparency, AD2000 is transparent with quick decay. Perceived transparency, however, goes in favor of K701s due it its lack of weight past mid-bass.

If you see K701 as good, accurate machine that plays out everything in its right place, I see AD2000 as becoming immensed with the music, so much more weight to every note, so emotional.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/my-...ad2000-302281/
here's a small review I did earlier.

Are you thinking of purchasing a pair
biggrin.gif
come, join the dark side
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #11 of 26
Thanks. I may have to make myself wait a little since I just got a SP Extreme (I try to only make one big purchase a month
smily_headphones1.gif
). I really like the transparency of the K701s so the AD2000s sound like quite a winner (too bad the prices just went up, at least on audiocubes
frown.gif
). I miss a little bass when using the K701s. They are really very good for classical though.

Shelly

Quote:

I edited it a bit - yeah, it's just my opinion - I'm sure lots will disagree.
So far, I actually hear MORE detail in AD2000 - especially in bass section.
AD2000s definatly have punchier bass, unlike HD650's smooth bass.
I may let go of my K701s, because AD2000 does everything better IMO, save for classical music -I may get K501s instead.
As for transparency, AD2000 is transparent with quick decay. Perceived transparency, however, goes in favor of K701s due it its lack of weight past mid-bass.

If you see K701 as good, accurate machine that plays out everything in its right place, I see AD2000 as becoming immensed with the music, so much more weight to every note, so emotional.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/my-...ad2000-302281/
here's a small review I did earlier.

Are you thinking of purchasing a pair
biggrin.gif
come, join the dark side
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Thanks. I may have to make myself wait a little since I just got a SP Extreme (I try to only make one big purchase a month
smily_headphones1.gif
). I really like the transparency of the K701s so the AD2000s sound like quite a winner (too bad the prices just went up, at least on audiocubes
frown.gif
). I miss a little bass when using the K701s. They are really very good for classical though.

Shelly

pricejapan had it for 540 shipped yesterday actually!
good luck!! I have preferred them over HD6X0, Denon D2000, DT770,990, etc- other bass heavy 'phones. I'm surprised at myself because I normally hate bass-heavy phones - These changed my mind
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Plus, I just got my pair so it's my "new-toy-it's-so-good" syndrome.

No way, that can't be it.
eek.gif

BTW, I am sure in the right setup you'll like W5000 more than anything else, do not discount them yet.
wink.gif

After HD650, these are the second phones that truly amazed me.

Mar 3, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No way, that can't be it.
eek.gif

BTW, I am sure in the right setup you'll like W5000 more than anything else, do not discount them yet.
wink.gif

After HD650, these are the second phones that truly amazed me.

Just my personal preference, lol - I dont think I had W5000 in right setup @ my buddie's house, plus it was fairly short listen too - a bit more than an hour?
I didn't get to listen to "my" type of music- that might be why
biggrin.gif
It was mated to Aria for some reason
rolleyes.gif

I think I'm going to like my AD2000s for a long time though
biggrin.gif

Apr 18, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #15 of 26
I just ordered a pair of AD2Ks from price japan! I hope they don't take too long to arrive. My birthday is in the beginning of May so I am considering this to be an early birthday gift to myself.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have been waiting a while to buy these (not just another impulse buy) so this should be really fun. I hope my partner doesn't kill me for having yet another pair of headphones around the house.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back