AT W100 question
Nov 11, 2002 at 7:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

ServinginEcuador

Founder of the Head-Fi Pay-to-Post Program.
For those of you who own a pair of these I wanted to ask a few questions to help myself, and maybe a few others, decide between the new W1000 and A1000 headphones coming out.

1. Do you find that humidity and other environmental factors affect the sound day to day?

2. Is keeping them from getting scratched/dinged up a concern. IOW, are you concerned that they will get ruined or damaged easily from handling/use/storage, etc?

3. AT says that they will never get fully broken in, but that the sound will "season" all the time that you own them. Do you find this to be true? And if so, is this good? Do they sound better as they season, or worse.

Thanks Guys!!

Lord Bless

Nov 11, 2002 at 8:53 AM Post #2 of 25
You should do a search on these cans...I heard them and I like AT. But....I am waiting for the new series to come out.
md

Nov 11, 2002 at 8:55 AM Post #3 of 25
I am worried that the new series wouldn't look as good as the old woodies.
frown.gif
biggrin.gif
We should have a vote to see which headphone looks the best.
wink.gif

Nov 11, 2002 at 2:45 PM Post #5 of 25
I don't find any differences in sound based on the humidity, but I'm in the NE USA. We're not talking about as much wood as a violin, it's one piece per earcup, and it's not a complex shape!

I keep them in my home office, and treat them the same as any headphone or other toy, which, for me, means I'd get upset if anything got scratched or marred. But mine are kept on a cork pad when not worn and the wood doesn't touch anything when they're on their side. Then again, I'm very careful, or compulsive, about things like this.

They get better with use. If they sit for a long while unused, they seem to lose a bit, but that disappears quickly after a CD is played.

While the jury is not even chosen on the yet-to-be-released models, you have to remember that the W100 has been in production for a relatively long time. It must be doing something right for them to have kept it and not replaced it with another model. Of course, if the newer ones are better, and the price is right, I'd consider buying another.

The way I look at it is that these are, sound-wise, comparable to the Senn HD580/600, without the need to fiddle with cables and such. I personally think they're more versatile, built better, and are more comfortable, but that's my opinion. While some clearly prefer the Senns, others fall in love with the ATs (various models). The ATs give you some of that Grado-esque excitement, without the annoyance and pain.

Sennheiser lovers defend their cans to the death, often and loudly. They seem to be a jealous sort, not brooking any competition. You can't look at another set of cans without sparking a controversy.

AT lovers simply take their headphones and go away to listen.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 11, 2002 at 8:54 PM Post #7 of 25
Thanks JML. Your post was quite helpful. I have seen hints of these types of answers, but no one has ever just gone right out and said that environmental factors don't adversely affect the sound quality of these cans. Many have said that they are supposed to get better and better with age, but the differences at some opint would have to become so small as to be indetectable. But it's nice to know that they do season and mature as they age, and at that for the better.

OBTW, I am one of those Senn owners, but my desire is for better sound, not unmerited loyalty. If the ATs sound better, then the ATs are what I will buy and sell off my Senns to do it! I am already looking to sell of these Senns to buy either the A1000 or W1000, dependent upon reviews of each to determine which one is best for me.

Lord Bless

Nov 12, 2002 at 12:51 AM Post #8 of 25
living in southern japan, mine see the worst humidity changes you can think of and it doesn't seem to affect them...at least not to my ears. i treat mine well but am not compulsive about it. i would be a bit upset if i scratch them though. on the other hand, i have seen tv crews using them here and they are simply beat to hell but obviously still working well.

Nov 12, 2002 at 1:08 AM Post #9 of 25
Puck,

Thanks for the informative reply! It's good to know that the environmental changes don't effect the cans much if at all!! That is really helping sway my decision towards to W1000 cans. I really like a sweet midrange, so at least I will seriously consider these cans now! Before I had totally written them off in favor of the A1000s.

Thanks to all!!

Lord Bless

Nov 12, 2002 at 1:37 AM Post #10 of 25
The midrange on these cans can send chills down your spine. For example:

Female voices. Small ensembles, of any type, from classical to rock. Multiple singers in well-recorded music. Acoustic instruments.

I'm not saying the bass and treble isn't great, either. They are. But the incredible transparency of the midrange is the true strength of these headphones. And, after all, that's where most of the music can be found.

Nov 12, 2002 at 4:08 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by JML
The midrange on these cans can send chills down your spine.

That's what I wanted to hear!! I bought a tube headphone amp for the midrange, it would be a good idea to team it up with some cans that sounds good in the midrange also!!

Thanks JML for the info.

Lord Bless

Nov 12, 2002 at 12:47 PM Post #13 of 25
One caution. The W100 is best with amps (solid state or tube) that can drive low-impedance headphones. The EMP and the Corda can, and those combinations are almost universally liked. There are others, too, but there are several tubed headphone amps that do NOT like low impedances, and do NOT sound good with the W100. Do a search for more information.

If I remember correctly, the W2002 fares similarly, but check to be sure.

Nov 12, 2002 at 6:52 PM Post #14 of 25
Thanks again JML. I think that my hybrid amp should be able to handle the lower output impedance of these cans. The MOSFET output stage seems pretty capable of driving nearly anything, but I'll reread the review by Kelly before I make a decision.

Lord Bless

Nov 13, 2002 at 3:29 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by JML
The midrange on these cans can send chills down your spine. For example:

Female voices. Small ensembles, of any type, from classical to rock. Multiple singers in well-recorded music. Acoustic instruments.

I'm not saying the bass and treble isn't great, either. They are. But the incredible transparency of the midrange is the true strength of these headphones. And, after all, that's where most of the music can be found.

Good points. I HATED getting rid of my W100s but sadly I needed the money very badly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back