AT M50x vs Sony MDR 7506 vs AKG 240 mk2, need help in choosing for studio.
Dec 21, 2015 at 3:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Arcmage

New Head-Fier
After 2 weeks of going around in different forums, articles etc. I have finally decided to make my own post because none of those reviews and articles seem to clarify my questions.

I need something in which if I mix a song, it'll sound the same in other headphones.

So here are my questions :
They say M50x has a better soundstage but not a neutral frequency response and MDR 7506 is totally opposite, very little soundstage but totally neutral frequency response (which is required for studio).

Should I consider soundstage and compensate on frequency response or vice-versa for studio purpose ?
Did anyone use M50x or MDR 7506 for studio ? how were they ? Can you show me your mix ?

Also M50x seems like an all-in-one type headphone with such a low impedance (38 ohms) and MDR 7506 seems to be specifically for studio with mid level impedance (64 ohms) and neutral frequency response.

I don't want to go with the hype of people and get my questions answered by pros to know which headphone would be better for studio.

Does anyone have any other headphones for me to consider ? 
Should I buy a different headphone for sound stage with MDR 7506 ? If so, then which one ?

Thanks a lot ! :)

Update : I found AKG 240 MK II in price range so need opinions on that too. It's semi open so I'm hoping for a good sound stage.

Dec 22, 2015 at 5:24 AM Post #5 of 11
  After 2 weeks of going around in different forums, articles etc. I have finally decided to make my own post because none of those reviews and articles seem to clarify my questions.

I need something in which if I mix a song, it'll sound the same in other headphones.

So here are my questions :
They say M50x has a better soundstage but not a neutral frequency response and MDR 7506 is totally opposite, very little soundstage but totally neutral frequency response (which is required for studio).

Should I consider soundstage and compensate on frequency response or vice-versa for studio purpose ?
Did anyone use M50x or MDR 7506 for studio ? how were they ? Can you show me your mix ?

Also M50x seems like an all-in-one type headphone with such a low impedance (38 ohms) and MDR 7506 seems to be specifically for studio with mid level impedance (64 ohms) and neutral frequency response.

I don't want to go with the hype of people and get my questions answered by pros to know which headphone would be better for studio.

Does anyone have any other headphones for me to consider ? 
Should I buy a different headphone for sound stage with MDR 7506 ? If so, then which one ?

Thanks a lot ! :)

Update : I found AKG 240 MK II in price range so need opinions on that too. It's semi open so I'm hoping for a good sound stage.

MDR-7506 because they are a studio stallwart (they seem to be mentioned as part of more studios than not) and because when I had both the MDR-7506 and the AKG K240 (same as the MKII without the updated colour) the 7506 was indeed more neutral and had roughly equal seperation and imaging.

Dec 22, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #6 of 11
My roommate recommended the Sony because they've been used in studios for 25+ years and if you're listening to a mix there's a reasonable chance that it was produced using a pair of Sony's. He also added that the M50x is more hollow sounding in comparison.

Dec 22, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #7 of 11
But FYI there's really no such thing as a truly neutral audio reproduction device. But the Sony is an industry standard, like the Yamaha NS-10 studio monitors, so you can't really go wrong with them.

Dec 25, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #8 of 11
  MDR-7506 because they are a studio stallwart (they seem to be mentioned as part of more studios than not) and because when I had both the MDR-7506 and the AKG K240 (same as the MKII without the updated colour) the 7506 was indeed more neutral and had roughly equal seperation and imaging.

So I will have to get another headphone for soundstage and imaging, any suggestion on low budget ($100) ? (because I'll also be buying MDR 7506 too, so low budget lol) 

But FYI there's really no such thing as a truly neutral audio reproduction device. But the Sony is an industry standard, like the Yamaha NS-10 studio monitors, so you can't really go wrong with them.

I hope I don't go wrong with them but I have to do something about the soundstage problem, so the same question above goes to you and your roommate as well :)

Thank you and Merry Christmas ! 

Dec 27, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #9 of 11
  So I will have to get another headphone for soundstage and imaging, any suggestion on low budget ($100) ? (because I'll also be buying MDR 7506 too, so low budget lol) 

Look into Superlux or soundmagic headphones. I recall them being mentioned in the soundstage forum

Dec 27, 2015 at 2:10 AM Post #10 of 11
The M50x has far too much bass, which sometimes muds up other frequencies. The MDR-7506 is painfully bright and harsh; not neutral at all. The MDR-V6 is a little better: less bright, more authoritative sound...but mostly the same. Serious studios rely on equalized loudspeakers in treated rooms and only use headphones for specific things. You absolutely must use EQ with any headphone if you want anything close to accurate sound. And forget about "other headphones" sounding the same as your mix. It's not gonna happen for the simple reason that headphones have all sorts of sound signatures. Just equalize everything you use to have a frequency response as close to neutral as possible. That way, those who do care about accurate sound can hear something closer to your intention. Headphones don't give you much soundstage at all compared to loudspeakers and live sound, but if you want a good affordable headphone with an above-average soundstage, the open-back Philips SHP9500 is a solid choice. Also, all of these headphones I've mentioned are fairly easy to drive. Any decent amp will be sufficient.

Dec 28, 2015 at 5:14 AM Post #11 of 11
Ok seeing as you've widened your search to include anything in the $100 range then i have a one stop solution for you. AKG K612, great soundstage, only bested in width by my K7XX's and roughly equal to my HE-500s in shape, great bass, well defined mids, moderately bright treble but detailed without harshness. Only my MDR-7520 would be a super studio headphone (of all the studio headphones I've heard) and the 7520 is a $400+ headphone. I will PM you a link for the K612 at $100

P.S. It is a hard to drive headphone and will need a decent amp but it is exactly what your looking for in terms of a flat response with a great soundstage.    

Users who are viewing this thread

Back