At a crossroad with my portable setup. Advice?
Sep 16, 2011 at 3:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

SoulSyde

Headphoneus Supremus
I had the opportunity to demo a SONY A865 today and it is a very impressive DAP.  I once owned a Sony S545, but this little beast blows it out of the water in terms of sound quality.  I had my current favorite portable setup with me (iPod Classic 6G → FiiO L9 → Arrow 12HE → UM3X RC) so I was able to use some of my own gear as a comparison tool.

A/B-ing the A865 with my UM3Xs against my setup, I was impressed at how good the stock A865 sounded without any additional amplification.  I had to tweak the Clear Bass setting just a little bit to match the impact of my Arrow amp with the Bass Boost setting on.  But, once I made that tweak the bass was just as detailed and responsive.  The sound stage was about the same, and the mids and highs were pretty consistent as well.  I hate to say it, but I think that the mids and highs were every-so-slightly more detailed than my current setup. 

I've sold off all of my demanding headphones.  Even my Ultrasone Pro 750s are pretty easy to drive, and could likely be driven by a good DAP with a powerful internal amp just fine.  My IEMs do just fine without amplification.  Truth be told, I only keep my Arrow 12HE around because the bass boost is so good, and apple can't design a descent EQ if their lives depended on it.  I really don't need the amplification any more.

So I stand here at a crossroad, deciding if my current multi-part "chain setup" is actually better than a really well designed DAP without amplification.  What say you?

Sep 16, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #2 of 4

Quote:
I had the opportunity to demo a SONY A865 today and it is a very impressive DAP.  I once owned a Sony S545, but this little beast blows it out of the water in terms of sound quality.  I had my current favorite portable setup with me (iPod Classic 6G → FiiO L9 → Arrow 12HE → UM3X RC) so I was able to use some of my own gear as a comparison tool.

A/B-ing the A865 with my UM3Xs against my setup, I was impressed at how good the stock A865 sounded without any additional amplification.  I had to tweak the Clear Bass setting just a little bit to match the impact of my Arrow amp with the Bass Boost setting on.  But, once I made that tweak the bass was just as detailed and responsive.  The sound stage was about the same, and the mids and highs were pretty consistent as well.  I hate to say it, but I think that the mids and highs were every-so-slightly more detailed than my current setup. 

I've sold off all of my demanding headphones.  Even my Ultrasone Pro 750s are pretty easy to drive, and could likely be driven by a good DAP with a powerful internal amp just fine.  My IEMs do just fine without amplification.  Truth be told, I only keep my Arrow 12HE around because the bass boost is so good, and apple can't design a descent EQ if their lives depended on it.  I really don't need the amplification any more.

So I stand here at a crossroad, deciding if my current multi-part "chain setup" is actually better than a really well designed DAP without amplification.  What say you?

The Equalizer app available for the Touch is awesome......picture the Rockbox EQ only with seven bands instead of five. Same ability to set the frequency, Q value, and gain. And you'd have the option of continuing to use your Arrow if you wished. Right now the Touch is only available up to 64GB, but that's more than your current portable.....and who knows, in a couple of weeks, there might be a higher capacity available if you want.

Sep 16, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #3 of 4
EQu is a good app, but I don't care for the UI.  Plus it doesn't play in the background like the OEM Apple music player.  That is a good competitor though.

With the upcoming release of the next two iPhones (likely a revamped 4G and a spanking new 5G), it will be interesting to see what happens to the iPod Touch.  I've heard rumors that Apple was doing away with the iPod Touch line, but I can't see that happening any time in the near future.  My HTC Android phone contract is up in a few months and I'm likely going with the new iPhone 5G.  Maybe that will solve all of my problems.

I was at this crossroad a while back when I purchased a J3.  But after having to return it twice I went back to Apple because of their reliability.  I was just so enamored with the Sony device that my whole thought process has changed.

EDIT: BTW, between your slew of amazing DAPs, which do you like best?

Sep 16, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #4 of 4

Quote:
EQu is a good app, but I don't care for the UI.  Plus it doesn't play in the background like the OEM Apple music player.  That is a good competitor though.

EDIT: BTW, between your slew of amazing DAPs, which do you like best?

EQu and Equalizer are quite different, as I recall.....I haven't used EQu in months. Having experience with Rockbox just made Equalizer so much quicker to set up with a new headphone that I gave up on EQu. Equalizer will play in the background as long as I don't fire up anything else that uses audio.

As far as my DAPs....I'm down to four, and I don't know if I can categorically pick one that is my favorite....they each have their good points.

The Clip+ w/Rockbox and the Clip Zip both are great little players for ultimate portability.....although if it wasn't for Rockbox, I'd prefer the Zip to the Plus. Why, you ask? Because the Zip plays back at the proper speed, which the Plus needs Rockbox to do (in the OF it plays just a hair off). Now, on the other hand,  with Rockbox installed, the Plus trumps the Zip, because of the greater battery life and superior EQ. As you may have guessed by now, on a player this size I could care less about album art.
wink.gif
And let's not forget the tactile controls.

The Touch, well, I'm sure you know all about its capabilities....it's pretty much a do-just-about-everything device. Games are fun, I've found many useful apps, sound is great, and if you're not keeping the screen lit constantly by video or games, the battery life is quite good. Games or video, then it drops quite a bit, of course. Of course, there's iTunes to deal with, although I hear jailbreaking can bypass that.

Zune HD, I just got, and I posted my impressions here...http://www.head-fi.org/t/552014/pictures-of-your-portable-rig-part-xv/1365#post_7756939 . It's my "jukebox" player.....just about anything in my collection that I might want to listen to on any particular day fits on it.

Summary.....if I had to live with only one of the four devices, I'd choose the most versatile... the Touch. Hopefully though, I wouldn't have to make that choice.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back