Asus Xonar U7 DAC/AMP Impressions Thread
Nov 22, 2015 at 6:45 AM Post #542 of 734
Hey guys, so I recently purchased the Xonar u7 not realizing it was the original and not the echelon edition. I was trying to buy the echelon for the sonic radar because I am deaf in one ear and the Sonic Radar feature would help me immensely. I'm hoping there is a way to possibly download the echelon drivers for my original u7 so I can use the sonic radar feature. I stumbled across another forum where someone indicated it would be possible. Here are the instructions. I'm wondering if someone would be interested in maybe helping me out with this. It would be greatly appreciated. :D

At first I'm sorry for my English 
smile.gif

How to install U7 Echelon driver for U7 (x64 only):

After deleting U7 driver:

1) Boot from "Disable driver signature enforcement" (F7)

2) Download this archive: [COLOR=496690]http://yadi.sk/d/z3xJEiKkETgKt[/COLOR]

3) Primarily ruining nhAsusU7Camo_64.msi from this archive, and do NOT reboot

4) Go to C:\Program Files\ASUSTeKcomputer.Inc\nhAsusU7Camo\StockDriver \CMediaU7Camo\ and replace from archive nhAsusU7Camo.inf if you have Win 8 or 8.1, and if you have Windows 7 you mos download [COLOR=496690]this[/COLOR] .inf: and replace from him , 

5) Launch Device manger, and manually update the driver software for U7 from C:\Program Files\ASUSTeKcomputer.Inc\nhAsusU7Camo\StockDriver \CMediaU7Camo\ directory, allowing all questions.

6) Now run CheckCMediaU7HW.msi from archive, and after this, run Setup_1.0.8.exe (if installation have been successful - you did everything right)

7) Congratulations! You can use exclusive features from U7 Echelon Edition, Sonic radar, Sonic studio Pro. But in these interface not working some switches:

Audio Format

Audioconfig and volume control

But you can do all this in old interface, or windows mixer

Checked in Windows 8.1 x64

Old interface you can download from this link:
[COLOR=496690]http://yadi.sk/d/EIleRy8QETgtP[/COLOR]

This interface working in any directory, desktop, Document folder....

Please go get the Echelon. If you are a PC non pro, this fix is not for you. And also please stick to W7. Asus support is legendary for being not helpful and being slow. I tried the sonic radar with Crysis 3 and it worked quite good, once properly configured. I first had the standard version U7. Also downloaded the Echelon driver. The U7 was recognized as Echelon, but not for long. I could not get it to work in the end and bought the Echelon. The resell value of the U7 is quite good. Following my advice will cost you some money, but save you from a lot of frustrations. Btw, I am running a Xonar Essence STX on W10 with a hacked driver. Asus had nothing to offer for W10 as usual.

Nov 28, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #543 of 734
Has anyone had issue's getting DDL working with either version of the U7? I'm currently using windows 10 and thinking about purchasing the U7, there's a £20 difference between both model's. 

And when DDL is enabled can you use Dolby Prologic X2 for upmixing ?

The latest beta driver for the Original U7 says DDL has been removed, a bit concerning, the Echelon version doesn't mention this.

Thanks

Dec 14, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #544 of 734
Hi everyone, i signed up to give my 2 cents

So i bought the U7 Echelon edition recently, originally wanted the normal version but there was no stock. I was using an internal Xonar DX but i was getting this buzzing sound on every game when using analogue out to my headphones which rendered my headphones useless.

My setup is a Win7 64bit gaming/entertainment PC consisting of:
A 6.1 (normal 5.1 + rear center) surround speaker setup which i normally connect via optical out on the sound card.
My headphones are Razer Tiamat 7.1. which are connected via analogue out.

I am hoping that some of my experiences which took around 2 days to completely resolve even after reading this entire thread will assist others and I also have some specific questions that hopefully someone else could answer.

My issues:
1) I naturally installed the Echelon driver and found that the sound was Crap mainly due to little bass. No flex bass function was a deal-breaker. Enabling Dolby digital helped somewhat but then all the options and dials cannot be tinkered with. Perhaps i am missing something but it seems like everything is locked in Dolby digital mode, this seems like a bug!
2) Streaming online (youtube etc) over digital out , the home theater system rear speakers would not play. I was only getting 2 channels. This was also happening on analogue out on my headphones, only the front speakers on the Tiamat were playing. movies and music played off the hard drive worked perfectly though.
3) Certain games over digital out, the home theater system rear speakers would not play again. I first noticed this on Fallout 4 and The Witcher 3. Grand Theft Auto 5 was working perfectly. The analogue out to my headphones worked perfectly in all games so this problem was exclusive to digital out and on select games.

The solutions:
1)I installed the original U7 drivers for Jan 2014 - all credit to this thread for this one. Saved me from major buyers remorse.
2)I eventually figured out that this is a well known Chrome issue. I have not managed to fix it yet using the suggestions here
https://www.reddit.com/r/chrome/comments/2dwgmo/chromeyoutubehtml5no_51_sound/
but I am in the meantime using Firefox.
3)This is an issue with DirectX and sound over digital out. fix here
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/archive/index.php/t-37740.html  and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7uM4uW6ZNM&feature=youtu.be

Other thoughts
The original drivers and options seem to be a lot better overall. I would only recommend the Echelon version to deaf people for sonic radar and those who want an unfair advantage in FPS.
Once it is all working as intended this is an incredible piece of hardware. The Razer Tiamat 7.1 sounds amazing on this card, There is no buzzing noise at all on the headphones. I will NEVER buy an internal sound card again.

Questions:
While everything is working perfectly now I am concerned what is going to happen if I upgrade to Windows 8 or 10. Is there a similar driver package for win 8 64bit and win 10 64bit that will work as well. I am concerned that some of the original drivers do not work on Echelon, for example the most recent original win 7 64bit drivers refuses to install.
From what i gather there is an equivalent windows 8 driver , Jan 2014, that works the same. What about Win 10?

Thanks in advance.

Dec 15, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #547 of 734
  After the last update of win10 (10.0.10586) I can not find Dolby HTv4, so I should reinstall the driver.
I'm very disappointed with Xonar & win10.
Everything was better for me with win7.

Even after I reinstalled the drivers, Dolby still wont show up. Very disappointing indeed. i wish i could roll back the windows 10 update Edit: Ok so actually in the settings you can roll back! I'm trying it now

Jan 4, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #548 of 734
Got the Echelon version myself, Windows 10 drivers seem to be fine now (apart from lack of Dolby and Sonic Studio standard rather than Pro). As a bonus, tried it with my Note 10.1 (Android tablet) via a USB otg cable and works well.

Installed a previous version under Win10 on a tablet and seems to work fine. Get Sonic Studio Pro and the Dolby app. both working without issue so not sure what the problem is with the dedicated Win10 drivers.

Jan 18, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #551 of 734
Hi All Considering a U7, though, i want to know if i can play just 2 channel stereo. I wish to run it through my notebook to save my 80s cd players now and them, and i have few gig of music on the notebook that is 24bit, so it will be playing through the aux input on my amplifiers. ?

I was considering the Xonar Essence ST PCI for the old desktop but it isnt mobile. The Essence is 46$ more over the Xonar U7 at 125$ AU

thanks for any help :)

i look at the manaul online, the RCA outputs is that for speakers? not for  rca plugs to the stereo?
redface.gif

Jan 19, 2016 at 12:47 AM Post #552 of 734
Hi, 

I'm also listening sometimes in the morning to U7 on Win7 or Ubuntu and it works just great.
RCA outputs are for amped speakers or amplifiers only; it can output 1V RMS (https://www.asus.com/Sound-Cards/Xonar_U7/specifications/).

Cheers, 
Raul.

Jan 20, 2016 at 3:37 AM Post #553 of 734
  I have reinstalled the driver (win10) and after restart it says it "can´t load Dolby driver", any suggestions?

Did you get this solved? Windows 10 had problems with Dolby in older updates (pre-December). This should have been fixed in later Windows (not just driver) updates.

Did anybody get Dolby Headphone or DHTv4 working with Xonar U7 Echelon in windows 10 x64?

Perhaps by installing U7 (non-echelon) Win 8 x64 drivers and then the U7 Echelon Win10 (beta?) drivers on top of those?

Or does this result in "Can't load Dolby Driver" error?

Thanks for any updates and info on this!

Jan 20, 2016 at 6:53 AM Post #554 of 734

Did you get this solved? Windows 10 had problems with Dolby in older updates (pre-December). This should have been fixed in later Windows (not just driver) updates.

Did anybody get Dolby Headphone or DHTv4 working with Xonar U7 Echelon in windows 10 x64?

Perhaps by installing U7 (non-echelon) Win 8 x64 drivers and then the U7 Echelon Win10 (beta?) drivers on top of those?

Or does this result in "Can't load Dolby Driver" error?

Thanks for any updates and info on this!

My problems with Dolby began when I installed 10586 update of win10. So I thought reinstall the driver was the solution but no way; I didn't find a solution yet. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back