Asus Xonar Essence STX
Mar 28, 2009 at 4:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

zerogratitude

New Head-Fier
Currently on my computer i am running a x-fi prelude -> hd595

Recently I ordered some speakers because i wanted to be able to listen to music more freely in the room without having to wear my headphones all the time.

I did some research and bought the audioengine a5 which are on the way =)

now my question is... is it worth upgrading to a stx since i will still be using my headphones half the time and the other times i will be using speakers. I saw pictures of the soundcard and it has output for L/R and headphones. Does that mean i can connect both to the soundcard and be able to switch the output through the drivers and not have to switch the plugs on the back of my computer if i were to continue to use my prelude. Also is the stx's sq much better than the prelude to upgrade.

Mar 28, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #2 of 34
honestly I'm thinking that SQ wise, you wouldn't notice a very large difference, although changing from the prelude's front L/R output to the STX's headamp, you'll probably notice quite a bit

that, and the STX will be quite a bit easier to plug into everything, so if you're fine with spending the money, why not go for it?

another board you might consider, if gaming isn't a big deal for you, is the HT Omega Claro Halo, it uses the same amplifier section as the STX, costs a bit less, and all you'll really lose is the gaming features in software (it will still run games, and out-do onboard sound, but it won't be as stellar as the STX or Prelude)

Mar 28, 2009 at 1:00 PM Post #3 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
honestly I'm thinking that SQ wise, you wouldn't notice a very large difference, although changing from the prelude's front L/R output to the STX's headamp, you'll probably notice quite a bit

that, and the STX will be quite a bit easier to plug into everything, so if you're fine with spending the money, why not go for it?

another board you might consider, if gaming isn't a big deal for you, is the HT Omega Claro Halo, it uses the same amplifier section as the STX, costs a bit less, and all you'll really lose is the gaming features in software (it will still run games, and out-do onboard sound, but it won't be as stellar as the STX or Prelude)

TBH, the Essence STX is a better card SQ wise than the Prelude. However, the Prelude is a bassier sounding card than the Essence STX but the Essence STX trumps it in the midrange and highs tbh and better quality bass, but less in quantity. Better instrument separation as well with the Essence STX. The onboard headphone amp, although low-end, is OK as well. I do feel however the Analog Out on the Essence STX sounds better than the headphone out (tested this with AD700's, that don't require nor improve too much SQ wise amped)

Mar 28, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #4 of 34
yes you can connect both to it and switch in the software control panel which output you want to use

the STX is a better card to the prelude in every way ... obviously prelude is 7.1 but since you're going to be using the A5's its 2 channel is superior to preludes so will be a perfect match

Mar 28, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #5 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the STX is a better card to the prelude in every way ...

I'd have to quip with that one, the Prelude will handle gaming/DSP stuff better, even if you hate Creative, you've gotta admit that they get things right (from time to time)

@ chinesekiwi:
you try opamp rolling either of them? just curious, as I'm thinking since both have interchangable opamps, you should be able to get the sound "fairly close", or get one of them "better" than the other

and you're probably the first person to call that TI amp "low end"
wink.gif

Mar 29, 2009 at 10:28 AM Post #6 of 34
Not wanting to help you spend more money but my Keces loves my cheap 400$ speakers even more then my headphones so it will probably benefit these as well. As for bass don´t remember the equalizer for soundcards. Very easy to add or remove bass on the soundcards I owned anyway.

Mar 29, 2009 at 10:54 AM Post #7 of 34
The stx uses a DAC chip that is far superior to the prelude. In general it looks much closer to an audiophile product, though I think it is somewhat stretching the term.
My experience with the far cheaper xonar dx was very positive.

Mar 29, 2009 at 1:37 PM Post #8 of 34
Apologise for the slight hijack but I could do with some help:

I'm looking at getting this card, but noticed that it doesn't support DTS encoding (though it does have DD).. I have some DVDs with a DTS soundtrack already - so does that mean that the card won't be able to pass the DTS at all (not good) - or will it just not be able to encode stuff like sound from games in DTS (not a problem)?

Cheers,

Mar 29, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #9 of 34
The card doesn't have a real time DTS encoder. You cannot encode your games or other audio to DTS. This will have no effect on media that is already encoded in DTS.

Mar 29, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #11 of 34
It is really just the DTS encoder his is talking about, allows game or other audio to be encoded to DTS, using the DTS-Connect routine. It is handy to have if your using a external digital ready receiver etc.

The soundcard will still output audio from media with DD or DTS tracks as they are decoded by internal filters in the player software.

Mar 29, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #12 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is really just the DTS encoder his is talking about, allows game or other audio to be encoded to DTS, using the DTS-Connect routine. It is handy to have if your using a external digital ready receiver etc.

The soundcard will still output audio from media with DD or DTS tracks as they are decoded by internal filters in the player software.

he was talking about DVD's playing back DTS and the lack of such a decoder being "bad", the card has no issues decoding though

and is it me, or is Neo:pC rarer than hell?
tongue.gif

as far as "handy if you're using an external reciever", DDL is just fine imho (or 6ch PCM, either way)

Mar 29, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #13 of 34
I know what he was talking about, wondering if the DTS-C encoder has to do with support DVD video DTS...which is has nothing to do with.

"Handy if you have a external receiver", The fact that I said DTS is handy doesn't mean DDL isn't.
Many still prefer DTS to DDL, I personally don't bother making a opinion on it.

Mar 30, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #14 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
he was talking about DVD's playing back DTS and the lack of such a decoder being "bad", the card has no issues decoding though

and is it me, or is Neo:pC rarer than hell?
tongue.gif

as far as "handy if you're using an external reciever", DDL is just fine imho (or 6ch PCM, either way)

I have numerous DVDs where the DTS soundtrack is considerably better than the DD one. Jurassic Park R1 being the case in point - I agree a lot of the time, a fuss is made over DTS for no reason but don't really appreciate the snide comments of me being some dumb noobie

Oh and ROBSCIX thanks for the quick reply
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm gonna go pester you on the ST thread now..

Mar 30, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #15 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The stx uses a DAC chip that is far superior to the prelude. In general it looks much closer to an audiophile product, though I think it is somewhat stretching the term.

How is it 'stretching the term'?

For what features the Essence STX has, both hardware and software wise, you cannot get in the same price range with products specifically targetted towards audiophiles / 'audiophile brands'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back