ASUS Xonar Essence STX II
Sep 22, 2021 at 2:19 AM Post #871 of 888
I would run a 3.5mm(1/8) TRS plug to dual RCA plugs cable, to connect the STX II's front speaker jacks, to the 3.5mm line-input on the KEF.
I spent $60 for 3 op-amps for my STX (original model) card.

Hi. You said earlier that you use 3 x ad797 opamps, can you please tell me how these compared to the stock opamps or any other opamps you have tried.
I am thinking of the ad797's myself and will appreciate some feedback.

Many thanks

Oct 18, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #873 of 888
:frowning2: ASUSTeK Computer Incorporated has switched to different C-Media DSP's from the CMI-8788; the STRIX™ RAID™ gaming audio cards and the XONAR® AE use specific flavors of the CMI-6632, the XONAR SE low-profile the CMI-6620. No activity on a new Essence™, as far as I can determine.

Oct 19, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #874 of 888
Will ASUS come out with a Essence replacement or is the Xonar Essence line discontinued indefinitely?
I think it is pretty much dead.
Onboard audio has come to a point which most gamers and regular users find it "good enough"
Audiophiles have mostly moved on to USB DACs quite some time ago.

Only Asus has the exact numbers of course but to me it seems that the soundcard market is not that big anymore.

Oct 28, 2021 at 7:56 PM Post #875 of 888
It annoys me that there is no innovation in that space. Asus made excellent products that are still loved and even preferred over newer products, they pumped out all sorts of audiophile products for a short period, even having a 4K UHD bluray dac/amp in the works at one point before shelving it alltogether.
Being a PC-gamer from way back it amazes me just how much innovation there was at one point before i think some windows vista update shelved support for certain hardware features because of bad soundblaster drivers (which btw are still bad judging by the products I've had).
I am mainly using my STX these days.. i quite like this aging product.

Feb 23, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #876 of 888
Hi All,

Can anyone confirm if the Equalizer and Flexbass work on optical out too? I am thinking of buying this just for the Equalizer and Flexbass. I will be using the optical out to my SMSL DAC.

Because my onboard Realtek equalizer works on optical out too and I find it better than Equalizer APO in terms of impact.

I had the STX ST long time back and really enjoyed the FlexBass.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #877 of 888
Hi All,

Can anyone confirm if the Equalizer and Flexbass work on optical out too? I am thinking of buying this just for the Equalizer and Flexbass. I will be using the optical out to my SMSL DAC.

Because my onboard Realtek equalizer works on optical out too and I find it better than Equalizer APO in terms of impact.

I had the STX ST long time back and really enjoyed the FlexBass.

Hi, that works on all outputs of the soundcard. Good luck finding one though. I believe they are pretty hard to find right now..... It's a great headphone. I have 3 of the V5 Burson op amps on mine and it puts out amazing sound quality. I will never need another soundcard until there is some major innovation in that area that requires an upgrade.

Feb 23, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #878 of 888
Hi, that works on all outputs of the soundcard. Good luck finding one though. I believe they are pretty hard to find right now..... It's a great headphone. I have 3 of the V5 Burson op amps on mine and it puts out amazing sound quality. I will never need another soundcard until there is some major innovation in that area that requires an upgrade.
Thanks, I have person selling me a used one. Yes it's really hard to find a new one.

Sep 15, 2023 at 11:38 PM Post #879 of 888
I'm considering getting 3 X Burson V6 Vivids for the front channels of my Essence STX II. I'm also using 2 of the rear channels and LFE on the daughter board. Can I take the 8820/8920 I remove from the fronts and put them in my surrounds and LFE? Would that improve the sound of my two surround channels compared to the stock opamps? My rears are also large full range speakers (Martin Logan Summits).
I would like to get this question back on the table, since I have 3 V6 for the front in place, and think about what to do with the "leftover" OPs😅

Regarts,
Felix

Mar 19, 2024 at 3:34 AM Post #880 of 888
Hi, I have been using Burson V6 since 2017 on Asus Essence STX II PCI card...Vivids, Classis and combination of those two. I have recently switched to V7 Classic and have about 130 hours of burn-in so I can make few observations when comparing them to V6 Classic.

• Much more details of the same character as V6 (not aggressive, not metallic) slightly less rounded than V6 Classic.
  • Wider, higher and deeper stage, more air, more space ….magic of space.
  • Vocals are bigger, more present, more 3D
  • Much deeper more controlled bass
  • Textures and colors of instruments are much more pronounced.
  • Slightly better dynamics and punch
  • More precise then V6, more resolving, V6 seem a bit muddy in comparison.
  • Lots of emotions, lots of musicality, quite enjoyable presentation.
  • Natural rendering of instruments.
  • Low noise floor, you can hear silence between notes.
  • Not making listening fatigue in long sessions.
  • Overall, V6 classic on steroids…..magnificent masterpiece came to mind a few times during listening :)
If you want to give new life to ASUS STX card, make the jump to V7..... just let them burn-in for at least 100 hours.

Cheers :)

Attachments

• 20240313_174425.jpg
    20240313_174425.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Mar 19, 2024 at 3:58 AM Post #881 of 888
I have tried the Burson opamps, but these are colored the sound. Without opamps is the sound of STXII more natural. I think the STXII is so good soundcard that you don’t need any modification.

Mar 19, 2024 at 4:06 AM Post #882 of 888
I have tried the Burson opamps, but these are colored the sound. Without opamps is the sound of STXII more natural. I think the STXII is so good soundcard that you don’t need any modification.

I thought the V6 Vivids were a big improvement in my STX (1), but I moved on to desktop equipment, the STX simply wasn't powerful enough for some quiet recordings and planar headphones.

Mar 19, 2024 at 4:19 AM Post #883 of 888
I don’t know the sound of the STX(1), I talking about the STX(2), and it’s only my oponion. 🙂

Mar 19, 2024 at 4:41 AM Post #884 of 888

Vivids are more neutral, Classics do color the sound a bit but in a good way IMHO. STX II actually benefits from modifications starting from the noisy PC environment (switching power supply, fans etc.) it benefits greatly from linear power supply and good hi-fi power cables & mains power filter, which lower the noise to a certain degree. Default op-amps are just not comparable to Burson IMHO, the problem is Vivid v6 needs a long time to burn in on STX due to low voltage operation (up to 500h) and Classics are faster to burn in (I think 200h) so people sometimes make judgment even before burning them in. We all hear differently I think, so the best way is to try and decide.

Mar 19, 2024 at 8:10 AM Post #885 of 888
Hi, I have been using Burson V6 since 2017 on Asus Essence STX II PCI card...Vivids, Classis and combination of those two. I have recently switched to V7 Classic and have about 130 hours of burn-in so I can make few observations when comparing them to V6 Classic.

• Much more details of the same character as V6 (not aggressive, not metallic) slightly less rounded than V6 Classic.
  • Wider, higher and deeper stage, more air, more space ….magic of space.
  • Vocals are bigger, more present, more 3D
  • Much deeper more controlled bass
  • Textures and colors of instruments are much more pronounced.
  • Slightly better dynamics and punch
  • More precise then V6, more resolving, V6 seem a bit muddy in comparison.
  • Lots of emotions, lots of musicality, quite enjoyable presentation.
  • Natural rendering of instruments.
  • Low noise floor, you can hear silence between notes.
  • Not making listening fatigue in long sessions.
  • Overall, V6 classic on steroids…..magnificent masterpiece came to mind a few times during listening :)
If you want to give new life to ASUS STX card, make the jump to V7..... just let them burn-in for at least 100 hours.

Cheers :)
I definitely want to put 3 Burson V7s on my STX II since I've seen they came out. A bit pricey for my blood right now, but I'll get them eventually. I'm glad to hear they do improve the sound. I actually have 3 V5s on mine right now. I love the sound, but I'm betting the V7s will be a huge improvement. Thanks for the confirmation!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back