ASUS Xonar Essence STX II
Nov 22, 2014 at 3:07 AM Post #151 of 888
You know that you can place the card in a full length pcie-socket, it may give you some extra distance from the graphics card depending on your actual motherboard layout.

My trusted Essence ST is dead quiet in the background with a GTX680(using 770-bios) a couple of sockets above it.

Nov 22, 2014 at 5:11 AM Post #152 of 888
  You know that you can place the card in a full length pcie-socket, it may give you some extra distance from the graphics card depending on your actual motherboard layout.

My trusted Essence ST is dead quiet in the background with a GTX680(using 770-bios) a couple of sockets above it.

oh I think it's so crazy that could work... XD

My motherboard is this
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4488#

I've the vga on the nearest pci-e  to the edge. on the left on the second picture.

what do you think? Could I have problem with this?

Nov 22, 2014 at 5:55 AM Post #153 of 888
  oh I think it's so crazy that could work... XD

My motherboard is this
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4488#

I've the vga on the nearest pci-e  to the edge. on the left on the second picture.

what do you think? Could I have problem with this?

You should have the VGA in the large slot exactly at the center of the board, since that one is full speed(16x), as you have it now you don't have full speed ....

And, you can place the sound card in the slot closest to the edge, it will give you the maximum distance between the two.

Inside my "music" PC:

Nov 22, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #154 of 888

You should have the VGA in the slot exactly at the center of the board, since that one is full speed(16x), as you have it now you don't have full speed ....

And, you can place the sound card in the slot closest to the edge, it will give you the maximum distance between the two.

oh sorry I wrote wrong...the vga in on the PCI Express x8...is something wrong in my assembly?

Nov 22, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #155 of 888
Not exactly wrong, it works, but you do not get full speed from the graphics card if you don't use the main pcie-slot at the center of the board for graphics(as it is intended) ...

Nov 22, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #156 of 888
  Not exactly wrong, it works, but you do not get full speed from the graphics card if you don't use the main pcie-slot at the center of the board for graphics(as it is intended) ...

I thought the assembly was correct only thinking about the correct alignment with the case exitat the back. :frowning2:
ok! I'll swap it.

Thanks for the picture and the suggestion. :)

Have you ever got any disturbance with your stx?
how much time do you own it?

have you ever thought to buy a DAC fed with optical out of stx?then from the dac to an amplifier?

Nov 22, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #157 of 888
  I thought the assembly was correct only thinking about the correct alignment with the case exitat the back. :frowning2:
ok! I'll swap it.

Thanks for the picture and the suggestion. :)

Have you ever got any disturbance with your stx?
how much time do you own it?

have you ever thought to buy a DAC fed with optical out of stx?then from the dac to an amplifier?

It has worked as intended for a couple of years, no disturbances  :)

That box is also a Linux-server(DLNA, HTTP etc.) so it is on 24/7!

I mostly use the line-out of the ST(X) feeding an old school HiFi-stereo setup which works as my "PC-speakers", I have experimented some with OP-amps and ended up with swapping one of the JRC2114DD:s from the I/V to the buffer, and using two LM4562NA:s as I/V instead. That gives me the most "live" sound over both speakers and local heaphones. The headphone out is just great imho!

I've never thought about a DAC, since the ST(X) sounds good enough that a "better" DAC would cost too much money. Optical to DAC seems impractical, if you go that route skip the soundcard and buy an asynchronous USB-DAC instead.

As the box is a server, I play from it using wireless on my other appliances like Home Theater and Smartphones and of course they have their own DAC:s of varying quality, good enough for their use though(my HTPC actually uses optical out to it's receiver, so no exotic sound card needed there). However, in example the Galaxy S5 has a too weak HP out for my taste, so I often use a Topping NX-1 portable Headphone Amp on the move  :)

I use another PC(Windows) for gaming and such, the "music" box is pure Linux!

Nov 22, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #158 of 888

It has worked as intended for a couple of years, no disturbances  :)

That box is also a Linux-server(DLNA, HTTP etc.) so it is on 24/7!

I mostly use the line-out of the ST(X) feeding an old school HiFi-stereo setup which works as my "PC-speakers", I have experimented some with OP-amps and ended up with swapping one of the JRC2114DD:s from the I/V to the buffer, and using two LM4562NA:s as I/V instead. That gives me the most "live" sound over both speakers and local heaphones. The headphone out is just great imho!

I've never thought about a DAC, since the ST(X) sounds good enough that a "better" DAC would cost too much money.

As the box is a server, I play from it using wireless on my other appliances like Home Theater and Smartphones and of course they have their own DAC:s of varying quality, good enough for their use though(my HTPC actually uses optical out to it's receiver, so no exotic sound card needed there). However, in example the Galaxy S5 has a too weak HP out for my taste, so I often use a Topping NX-1 portable Headphone Amp on the move  :)

I use another PC(Windows) for gaming and such, the "music" box is pure Linux!

But do you think the modding it's so widespread for the 2nd version too?Where can I read something about it?I'd like to mod it if I would have the possibility...

Nov 22, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #159 of 888
  But do you think the modding it's so widespread for the 2nd version too?Where can I read something about it?I'd like to mod it if I would have the possibility...

The 2nd version ships with the highly regarded "Muses" OP-amps as I understand, it makes the need for modding less important, it is easy enough to just swap OP:s and test for yourself though  :)

Nov 22, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #160 of 888

The 2nd version ships with the highly regarded "Muses" OP-amps as I understand, it makes the need for modding less important, it is easy enough to just swap OP:s and test for yourself though  :)

but how many op are there?not enough for me... XD

Nov 22, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #161 of 888

but how many op are there?not enough for me... XD

The Asus® XONAR® STX II™ packs two I-V and one buffer dual op amps, as did the ST™ and original STX™; the H6 daughtercard packs six and three, respectively.

Nov 23, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #163 of 888
Just a heads up for people with the STX II, if you do want to swap opamps the Muses that come stock have very flimsy connecting legs ( ie: they will bend all over on you when you remove them).
I would suggest getting some DIM 8 opamp IC sockets and mount the Muses on those. Will make your life much easier down the line, and will protect the legs of the Muses.

Nov 23, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #164 of 888
  Just a heads up for people with the STX II, if you do want to swap opamps the Muses that come stock have very flimsy connecting legs ( ie: they will bend all over on you when you remove them).
I would suggest getting some DIM 8 opamp IC sockets and mount the Muses on those. Will make your life much easier down the line, and will protect the legs of the Muses.

this is something of totally new for me. Are you talking about something like this?

is it possible to buy other op amps except for sold ones with stx 2?I think the only important thing is the number/distance of pins.isn't it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back