Asus Xonar Essence STX and the Sennheiser RS 180's
Feb 25, 2012 at 4:50 AM Post #16 of 21
Yes, Puncher headphones that's what I'm after..!

After much deliberation, I have concluded the RS180's are to Airy for me (I think I need to go back to closed), they leak to much (annoys the wife.!) and let too much in (wife annoys me.!) and more importantly suffer from small amount of distortion especially noticeable on voice crescendo (perhaps people will disagree) but I can hear it even compared to my old wired Sony's... (yes, I'm using lossless flac's on low'ish volume, I'm not a volume freek :))

So.... I think I'm going to sell my RS180's and my ASUS Xonar DX and go for this setup instead:

A pair of either Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro's - 250 OHM or Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro's - 250 OHM

coupled with

either the Fiio E10 USB DAC or the AUNE 24bit/192K X1 DAC Headphone Amplifier Pre-amp USB PCM1793

I know there is a difference in price points between both these sets but if need be I would rather spend a bit more and get something I'm really happy with...

Thoughts..? Bad idea, good idea..? Good starting point..?

Feb 25, 2012 at 6:09 AM Post #17 of 21
Quote:
I think I'm just getting used to open headphones, out of interest they were the Sony MDR-V500's, not an expensive pair but just seemed to have that little more 'kick' to them.

Maybe this graph is completely wrong, but what do you mean exactly by "punchy" ? Is it really just bass quantity, or actually something else ? Do you want a "faster" sound with a better midrange ? If yes, then avoid the DT770, and even the DT880 is not ideal.

Feb 25, 2012 at 6:48 AM Post #18 of 21
No, its not just bass quantity ~ I would describe a "punchy" bass as being a tight, controlled, accurate and full (but not over full) accompanied by and including a nice clean and tight kick drum, the bass would not be lazy and certainly not muddy... My favorite type of music (what ever genre) are songs that contain a rhythmical, musical and progressive bass guitar line... I like nicely presented mid's not overpowering but again clean and rich and to cap off my wish list, I absolutely hate 'shrill', over pronounced high's, there's no need for it and they hurt my ears.!

I'm sure that I'm missing the 'closed' effect of my old headphones not necessarily the quality (obviously) but the tight punchy sound produced by the fact that are closed, that's why I'm definitely going back to closed... I don't like the very open soundstage the RS180 have, I prefer a defined parameter...

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back