Asus Xonar DX/Audio Technica ATH-A900X?
Jul 28, 2013 at 8:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Toxicman1994

New Head-Fier
Okay, so I've bought a refurbished pair of Audio Technica ATH-A900X's That were refurbished by the manufacturer and also it has a year warranty for 168$
Not bad. I want to virtualize the surround sound when playing games to these headphones, the full 7.1 surround. I am using Windows 7 64-bit.

Would you guys recommend the Asus Xonar DX sound card in combination with the ATH-A900X's?

Thanks.

Jul 28, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:
Okay, so I've bought a refurbished pair of Audio Technica ATH-A900X's That were refurbished by the manufacturer and also it has a year warranty for 168$
Not bad. I want to virtualize the surround sound when playing games to these headphones, the full 7.1 surround. I am using Windows 7 64-bit.
Would you guys recommend the Asus Xonar DX sound card in combination with the ATH-A900X's?.

The Conar DX does not have a true headphone amplifier and high impedance at the headphone jack.

The Xonar DG is $30, with a $10 mail in rebate.
DAC chip not as good as the DX's, but does have a headphone amplifier, and a much lower impedance.

Jul 28, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
So you're saying the Xonar DG is better for headphones than the Xonar DX? Can you go a little more into detail?

It's preferred to have the impedance (Ohms) of a headphone, to at least 8 to 10 times (or more) the impedance of what ever headphone jack your plugging the headphones into.
The A900Xs are 40-ohm, so you want to plug then into a headphone amplifier with an impedance of 5-Ohms or less.
Other wise you might get a bloated bass (larger with less detail).
I have the A900Xs and they sound fine plugged into anything, so I guess with the A900Xs, there is a little leeway with impedance.

I believe the Xonar DG has a 10-Ohm impedance.

Now you get get the Xonar DX for now, and hopefully plan to get a low impedance external headphone amplifier in the future (near future), like a Schiit Magni ($99), impedance less the 1-Ohm.

Jul 28, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
It's preferred to have the impedance (Ohms) of a headphone, to at least 8 to 10 times (or more) the impedance of what ever headphone jack your plugging the headphones into.
The A900Xs are 40-ohm, so you want to plug then into a headphone amplifier with an impedance of 5-Ohms or less.
Other wise you might get a bloated bass (larger with less detail).
I have the A900Xs and they sound fine plugged into anything, so I guess with the A900Xs, there is a little leeway with impedance.

I believe the Xonar DG has a 10-Ohm impedance.

Now you get get the Xonar DX for now, and hopefully plan to get a low impedance external headphone amplifier in the future (near future), like a Schiit Magni ($99), impedance less the 1-Ohm.

If I got the Xonar DG, can I still do 7.1 surround sound virtualization? You said the DX has a better DAC, wouldn't I be missing out somewhat if I got the DG?

Jul 28, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
If I got the Xonar DG, can I still do 7.1 surround sound virtualization? You said the DX has a better DAC, wouldn't I be missing out somewhat if I got the DG?

The Xonar DG/DGX are 5.1, all the other Asus internal sound cards are 7.1.

Jul 29, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #7 of 8
The Xonar DG/DGX are 5.1, all the other Asus internal sound cards are 7.1.

Well I'd like a soundcard that has 192khz/24 bit 7.1 surround sound with a onboard headphone amp... is this possible?
Does a sound card exist that has all this? I have been looking for a while. O-o The headset I'll be getting is 42 ohms...
I want 7.1 because I had it in my old headset, so naturally I'd like something 7.1

Jul 29, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
Well I'd like a sound card that has 192khz/24 bit 7.1 surround sound with a on-board headphone amp... is this possible?
Does a sound card exist that has all this? I have been looking for a while. O-o The headset I'll be getting is 42 ohms...
I want 7.1 because I had it in my old headset, so naturally I'd like something 7.1

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z, $80

Users who are viewing this thread

Back