Asus STX II Vs Creative ZXR
Jan 12, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #61 of 337
Hi
Hi LBend,

Did you get the chance to try with the combo of 2x THS4032 in I\V and 2x NE5534N for buffers? Just curious on how it'd work out with those two..

Hi resync,
I'm quite busy lately so I didn't try such combo yet, but I will probably next week. I want to listen more to current setup to understand better how it sounds.

Jan 17, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #62 of 337
Howdy Folks..

I was just wondering if it would still be possible to use my old OPA637SMs from my old Auzentech Prelude on the ZxR?  

This is what they looked like installed on my Prelude..

Jan 17, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #63 of 337
Thank you raymond555 and all the contributors on this thread.

Being a new ZXR owner coming from X-FI Titanium (non-HD) I'm glad I came across this thread. I've only replaced the stock op amps with AD827SQ in the I\V and the first thing I notice is that I no longer have to bear with the overly bright highs and bloated bass. However with the stock buffer, it sounds to me it's missing some details.

Update: Fitted 2 x Signetics NE5534N from 85 for the buffers.
Initial impression: a great deal of difference, now it sound like more of what I wanted, just like what raymond and Lbend mentioned - will let it run in and see how it goes
smily_headphones1.gif

Hi Resync,

Do you think the new NE5534N's would give them same effect to the sound?

Jan 17, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #64 of 337
  Howdy Folks..

I was just wondering if it would still be possible to use my old OPA637SMs from my old Auzentech Prelude on the ZxR?  

This is what they looked like installed on my Prelude..

Plug them in and let us know what happens

Jan 26, 2015 at 6:13 AM Post #66 of 337

Hi LBend,

Did you get the chance to try with the combo of 2x THS4032 in I\V and 2x NE5534N for buffers? Just curious on how it'd work out with those two..

I have swapped LME49710HAs slots with NE5534Ns. I have noticed less details with NE5534N - instruments which are heared easily are presented even more, so little details can be hardly noticed if you get what I mean :) and whole sound is like out of order, especially highs and lows, they do not match ( THS4032s are musical and warm and NE5534Ns intrude with their overwhelming highs and lows) so I believe this combo is not good. Soundstage is not as good. But that's only my subjective opinion.

What I want to try is 2x THS4031 for buffers along those THS4032 I already own. They are also relatively cheap, around 6 Eur per chip. Probably in a month or two. Meanwhile I'm sticking to LME49710HA and THS4032 combo. When I first listened to this setup 2 weeks ago it made me even smile :)

Feb 20, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #69 of 337
Thank you very much for the great info which you have provided based on those 2 cards. I was looking to buy one of them or to buy external DAC i haven't yet decide. What you are gonna recommend to buy for the best choice SB and upgrade the op amp with the best options ? As far as i understand the Creative ZxR is better if i change the op amp ?

Thanks

Feb 27, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #70 of 337
Hey guys! I read pretty well everything that was said about these two sound cards in this forum. I kinda need some help simplifying what I need and a lot of you have tons of experience. I right now have the sound blaster Z. I'm giving it to my girlfriend and upgrading my card cause all she cares about is her "footsteps" in games! I'm in the same boat but, I do really want to upgrade my opamps too! 

My STUFF

Beyerdynamic MX300 headphones
Sound blaster ZxR

Now what would you experienced people recommend for me to clean up this card and give me insanely beautiful sound with the deadly channel separation the ZxR has. Basically I would rather tweak my sound for better channel separation than music. I want to hear those footsteps and hope to still get better music sound too with the upgraded opamps.

Feb 27, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #71 of 337
  Hey guys! I read pretty well everything that was said about these two sound cards in this forum. I kinda need some help simplifying what I need and a lot of you have tons of experience. I right now have the sound blaster Z. I'm giving it to my girlfriend and upgrading my card cause all she cares about is her "footsteps" in games! I'm in the same boat but, I do really want to upgrade my opamps too! 

My STUFF

Beyerdynamic MX300 headphones
Sound blaster ZxR

Now what would you experienced people recommend for me to clean up this card and give me insanely beautiful sound with the deadly channel separation the ZxR has. Basically I would rather tweak my sound for better channel separation than music. I want to hear those footsteps and hope to still get better music sound too with the upgraded opamps.

The Beyerdynamic MMX300 is a Beyer DT770 Premium 32-Ohm headphone, the DT770 is a good headphone, but there is better.
I'm not sure which op-amps work well in the SB-ZxR.
Also the cheaper SB-Z (OEM is fine), used with an external DAC/amp (NFB-15, $315), might be the best way to get there good audio quality.

Feb 27, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #72 of 337
Really all I want to do is just upgrade this card as best i can. I guess I should have explained that. I just want the soundcard at it's optimal performance for gaming. I'm sure I could get better headphones and a DAC. I liked the mmx300 for the good beyer design with a beautiful mic. I didn't want to do a separate mic setup either so it works for me. I have tried using a FiiO dac and it didn't seem to except the channel separation of the sound card. It like removed it. It was really weird.

Feb 27, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #73 of 337
  Really all I want to do is just upgrade this card as best i can. I guess I should have explained that. I just want the sound card at it's optimal performance for gaming. I'm sure I could get better headphones and a DAC. I liked the mmx300 for the good beyer design with a beautiful mic. I didn't want to do a separate mic setup either so it works for me. I have tried using a FiiO dac and it didn't seem to except the channel separation of the sound card. It like removed it. It was really weird.

I would assume on the following thread you could find some recommendations on op-amps for the SB-ZxR.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/623079/creative-sound-blaster-new-series-z-zx-zxr

Feb 28, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #74 of 337
I have several questions I hope to answer them as clearly as possible, have a Xonar essence stx and sound Blaster zxr, I change the pitch of both to something that sounds better. How many chips should I buy omaps and models for each. (This is good AD827SQ?) I did not understand very well what are the recommended chips and models are best for each. The zxr sounds very strong and I do not like their sound, or update you must sell your chipset ?? I hope their councils.
Where to buy the chips on ebay ??
I can update my chips Xonar essence stx and improve?

Feb 28, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #75 of 337
  I have several questions I hope to answer them as clearly as possible, have a Xonar essence stx and sound Blaster zxr, I change the pitch of both to something that sounds better. How many chips should I buy omaps and models for each. (This is good AD827SQ?) I did not understand very well what are the recommended chips and models are best for each. The zxr sounds very strong and I do not like their sound, or update you must sell your chipset ?? I hope their councils.
Where to buy the chips on ebay ??
I can update my chips Xonar essence stx and improve?

On the STX (& STX II?) and ZxR, each has two dual channel op-amps used in the I/V slots, which are used by the headphone output.
The STX/ZxR also have an op-amp (called the buffer) that's only used for the line-output (the I/V slots are also used for the line-output)
While the STX uses one dual channel op-amp for the buffer slot, the ZxR uses two single channel op-amps for the buffer.

Not sure what op-amps to recommend for the STX II and SB-ZxR.
I had installed AD797BR op-amps in my STX (not the STX II).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back