Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Feb 26, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #676 of 3,573

Quote:
1.  Without a big explaination, the system just uses dual channel opamps. :)  One LME49720 has left signal for headphones and the other has right.
2. Those should all work fine although, I have not personally tested the AD827 and LME49860 although, I did like the OPA2107, 2111's and LME49720 but my 2111's and 49720 are custom made TO-99 metal can opamps so they are a bit higher grade then the chip version.

Ok, to me it seems the dual channel opamps aren't really used for left/right, they are just used to cram in more opamps in the box. In other words I think it runs dual mono with each channel in the headphone section passing through one opamp (which means two actually, since dual channel opamps are just two opamps in one IC). Doesn't really matter though. Thanks, looks like I'll be able to try some opamps soon!

By the way, I did some more research with the help of the ASUS official opamp swap guide (on the E1 website downloads section). If we are not using the RCA and XLR outputs, the opamps that we can swap in the E1 in stock configuration are:

(1) I/V section, in other words current to voltage conversion. This section by default runs on 4 pieces of NE5532P
(2) Low pass filter, in other words  background noise filtering. This section by default runs on 2 pieces of NE5532P
(3) Headphone amp section. This section by default runs on 2 pieces of LME49720NA

The XLR and RCA outputs have their own opamps, but changing those does not affect the headphone output. The interesting thing is that those opamps are: 3 pieces of LM4562NA

Now my instant realization when I noticed this was: if just using the headphone output, wouldn't it be a good idea to replace the low pass filter section opamps (2) with two of the LM4562NA from the XLR output (RCA just uses one)? The NE5532P's from the low pass filter section could then be moved to the XLR output one.

Feb 26, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #677 of 3,573
Hey Guys,

For what its worth.. I picked up an Essence One yesterday, put it throught it's paces and here is my "review" .. more like just my own observations in my system .

So, I just thought I would share with you my experience with the E1.

I only had a general sense of what this unit could do because of the somewhat limited reviews available on the net, but I knew that it was likely very good, especially for its price point, it would offer great value.
The main theme from the available reviews seam to indicate that the over all sound was smooth and bass heavy, with highs that were good but slightly recessed in details. My personal observations were quite contrary to all that I had read and I will expand it this.
The Xonar Essence One was used as a DAC for a Sonos Zone Player 80 connected to an Anthem AVM-20 Pre-processor and powered by an Anthem MC-20 stereo amplifier. The speakers were the wonderful Acoustic Zen Addagios towers.
The music was stored on a Seagate Black Armor NAS 440 connected to a router which the Sonos is also connected to the same router via RJ-45 Ethernet. All music was lossless, either Flac or WAV format.
As a comparison, a Pioneer BD player was used to play redbook CD version of the same songs being audition. The 4 DACs in the audition were the Sonos DACs, the Anthem AVM-20 AKM DACs, the internal Pioneer BD player DACs and the Asus Xonar Essence One DAC.
By far the inferior sound came from the Sonos Zone Player 80 built-in DACs, the Sonos is a great wireless multi room system, but the internal DACs are less than stellar. The next best was the Anthem AVM-20 AKM DACs. The AVM-20 is a really good pre-processor of high quality, but it is also almost 10 years old and showing it’s age in the digital processing area. In fact, the Pioneer BD player which costs $300 versus the $5000 of the Anthem, but that is only 2 years old, has better DACs or, I should say, sounds better to my ears than that Anthem.
So the main comparison was between the Pioneer BD player and the Essence One.
The redbook CDs played on the BD player sounded good with low end extension, or was it inflated bass ? , good mids and high but nothing spectacular, just overall a good sound.
The Essence One really brought it to another level, especially with mids and highs. I could clearly distinguish every instruments place in a 3d soundstage, yet none were stepping on others toes. It was like the music could breath vs the BD player which by comparison sounded congested and muddy. The E1 really injected some fresh air into the mix, creating a wide stereo image and allowing each instrument to shine on it’s own but remaining a cohesive ensemble of music that did not sound detached in any way. The E1 is very linear in that nothing is over emphasized or diminished to a point that is noticeable. Engaging the Upsampling on the E1 brought even more details. Piano notes had longer sustain and decay before fading, cymbals were so clear I could hear the drum stick hitting the metal cymbals !
The one area which surprised me was the Bass. All the reviews that I had read praised the bass flavor of the E1, stating that "Bass Heads" were going to be very happy with this unit. Well, I certainly qualify as a Bass Head and I’ve been playing Bass Guitar for close to 30 years, so I really know my Bass. Yes, I love bass, but not at the detriment of the overall sound, it has to be balanced and I do not like overemphasized, loose or boomy bass at all. I do like to feel the visceral punch to the gut of Bass when appropriate material is played, such as DeadMau5 and other techno / trance music.
Unfortunately, in my system, the Bass fell short of expectations. The difference between the Anthem and Pioneer DACs vs the E1 on bass was significantly noticeable. They both had considerably more bass, especially in terms of volume. The E1 had tighter bass, but it sounded very thin in comparison, which again really surprised me since other reviews said that bass was it’s strength. In my system, that was simply not the case. The bass left me wanting for more, more impact, more volume, more slam as it where and took away from the otherwise excellent sound that the E1 delivers.
It’s to bad because everything else was stellar, the stereo image, the amazing details and accuracy in the mid and high frequencies, the placement of each instrument all contributed to a very enjoyable listening experience. It is very strange indeed, as others said that the bass was the best part of this DAC and that the high end was lacking, but could be improved by swapping out the OP-AMPS to get better high end. In my opinion, the high end is just great, it is the Bass that is lacking and needs to be improved, again this is my specific system, which is pretty good, but by no means as high end as others.
As I am a bonafide Bass Head, with my gear, the E1 falls a bit short of my expectations in that regards, however it is definitively worth auditioning in your own system and you be the judge. I have not tried the USB or the Headphone amp section as this is not a requirement for me. I have professional studio recording equipment connected to my computer and have no need for a USB DAC.
Sound perception is extremely subjective and my impressions are just that, mine, your might be very different. Definitely give it a try and see for yourself as this unit is worth a shot. Having auditioned the Sim Audio MOON D100, the Musical Fidelity M1DAC and the Cambridge Audio DAC Magic I would say that the Asus E1 is definitively in the same league and in some respects, better than the aforementioned DACs.

Feb 27, 2012 at 5:22 AM Post #678 of 3,573
Thank you so much for your review, Riker!

As I explained in my personal response to your post, I feel the same when it comes to needing bass but not at the cost of anything else in a song. The term "bass head" to me usually puts a picture in my head of someone who cares about bass before everything else. I value accurate and impactful bass, but at the same time I absolutely HATE sitting in the car of buddies who spent ****loads of money on sound systems only to pump the bass up 100% and leave it at that.

Bass quantity ≯ bass quality

That having been said, after reading your review -- and after having already read ROB's fantastic review and many others here -- I have a feeling this will be the perfect fit for me, and I'm now sold on purchasing the Essence One. However, at the same time I will probably keep my Essence ST; I planned on keeping only one of the two, but after the recent discussion about how different (but great) they both are, I'd be a fool to get rid of it after getting such a killer deal on mine.

I was at first worried that the Essence One would produce too much bass, which would be a bit too much for the Denon AH-D7000s that I plan to get soon (which are famous for their high quality bass when compared to other high-end closed cans). Furthermore, when I do move on to a proper active monitor + active sub 2.1 setup (and from there, a proper 7.1 setup), I want bass impact but not at the expense of everything else. I use speakers for movies but not for music too much, and in movies too much bass or lack thereof can easily ruin a film that has less-than-stellar sound editing. Normalization = a no go for proper film watching, at least to this film buff.

Moreover, I do not seek out a completely balanced sound signature present in most high-end open cans, and so I am more than happy to hear that the Essence One provides a lot of bass... just less than what your previous setup already gave you. In my opinion, sacrificing bass quantity for increased quality everywhere else is worth it, but again, that's just me and I'm by no means an audio professional.

Feb 27, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #679 of 3,573
Both sources are very good but very different in analog signature.  You can always use S/Pdif from the ST to Essence One and this would give you all the features of the ST such as EQ, Dolby Headphones..etc.  I think you will be happy with the sound of the E1, if you are worried make sure you buy it from a place that has a return policy. If it does not offer you enjoyable sound quality, you can return it. 

I agree with you about the bass, I hate bloated, washed out bass.  I want to hear good bass that is at the proper level for the song.  Even if you are a bass head that doesn't mean you have to wash out the entire song so all you hear is bass.  That is a big waste of a song IMO...I hate those kids cars, that always seem to be playing the same song...Boom...buzz..mumble...mumble...boom...buzzz.  Just sounds awful and they think they have great sound systems!

To note, what other people hear from the Essence One is also based on other gear they use, such as amps, speakers, headphones..etc.  IMO, a balanced signature is a good thing from a source. If you have any questions feel free to ask and I will do my best to offer whatever information I have. :)

Feb 27, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #682 of 3,573
Hi all,

I have just recently bought the Xonar E1, to pair with my Denon Ah-D 2000 cans (linked with my pc through audioquest carbon usb cable).
The audio quality I usually very good, but when it comes for high tones, I get "cracks" in sound, and I don't know how to get rid of them (I listen to CD's and FLAC files). 
I updated the E1 firmware, as it was advised, and it upgraded the audio quality, but the "cracks" are still there, when it comes to high tones.
I have the latest drivers, I tried to reinstall them as well, and nothing.
Any ideas, what to do?
Please help, as I'm considering to give back the E1 :frowning2:

Feb 27, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #684 of 3,573
Uh What @ that extremely expensive audioquest carbon USB cable. You're one of those people who buy $70+ Monster brand HDMI cables too, aren't you? For that money, you could've upgraded your headphones to the AH-D5000s and not been reemed up the financial ass...

I'm an IT, not an audio professional, but even I know that sending digital DATA over a cord does not improve when you shield it with marketing and another $100.

Feb 27, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #685 of 3,573

Quote:
Uh What @ that extremely expensive audioquest carbon USB cable. You're one of those people who buy $70+ Monster brand HDMI cables too, aren't you? For that money, you could've upgraded your headphones to the AH-D5000s and not been reemed up the financial ass...

I'm an IT, not an audio professional, but even I know that sending digital DATA over a cord does not improve when you shield it with marketing and another $100.

Those are actually great quality cables.  There are much higher priced cables out there then those products.
I don't think there is anything wrong with paying for quality.
So, does that mean you are using a $1 USB cable that came with a printer for your E1 :)

Feb 27, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #686 of 3,573
I'm not disputing whether they're great quality cables, but whether or not they actually improve the quality of the data sent through them. This is not analog cabling we're talking about; all that passes through USB cables is data, which can be either degraded or not degraded. Are you then suggesting that a $10 Rosewill USB cable will not pass data just as efficiently?

By the same token, a $100 SATA cable running from your HDD to your motherboard will not make it work better than a $5 one. Period.

Feb 27, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #687 of 3,573

Quote:
I'm not disputing whether they're great quality cables, but whether or not they actually improve the quality of the data sent through them. This is not analog cabling we're talking about; all that passes through USB cables is data, which can be either degraded or not degraded. Are you then suggesting that a $10 Rosewill USB cable will not pass data just as efficiently?

Not that this is the place to discuss the subject but many suggest that jitter can affect the signal in any digital transfer.
The signal will still come through but with slight timing differences.
Now, with the E1 that is not such an issue as that is why the USB receiver is Asynchronous to avoid jitter issues, just making a point though.
Some suggest there is no difference in analog cables, but I am guessing by your post you are suggesting there are differences?

Feb 27, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #688 of 3,573
Oh okay, well fair enough; I do not understand enough about jitter to comment on that, nor is my audio setup high quality enough to be concerned with timing differences (at least not yet). I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but I'd love to see an ABX test done with those $100+ USB cables and any Rosewill (e.g. great quality) or $1 generic (e.g. ****ty) one.
Say, you don't happen to know a website that reviews that sorta stuff and who might be interested in taking up the task, do you? 
beerchug.gif

Also, in response to your last edit, I do not believe in the "$500 speaker cabling" BS, no, especially after reading some of the stuff in the audio theory part of this forum, but then again I have never listened to a $100,000 speaker setup either so I don't know at what point your sound system has to be before hearing a difference.

Feb 27, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #689 of 3,573

Quote:
Oh okay, well fair enough; I do not understand enough about jitter to comment on that, nor is my audio setup high quality enough to be concerned with timing differences (at least not yet). I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but I'd love to see an ABX test done with those $100+ USB cables and any Rosewill (e.g. great quality) or $1 generic (e.g. ****ty) one.

Say, you don't happen to know a website that reviews that sorta stuff and who might be interested in taking up the task, do you? 
beerchug.gif

See if you can borrow a higher end cable and do the tests yourself.  The point being digital information is just more then 1's and 0's, it has a precise timing component.  That is where jitter comes into play, those slight differences. 
Jitter is a real problem in digital circuitry that is a fact but the debate comes as to what type and levels are audible or not and it is a very big topic.  Not to mention their are over 10 different type of jitter last time I checked :)

That being said, I think there is a limit though between just a extremely high quality cable and snake oil but that seems to be a different level for different people as price is relative to the person doing the buying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back