Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
May 9, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #3,289 of 3,573
Hi everybody,

I have an Asus Essence One (standard, with not modifies) and actually it's connected with HD650 headphones (I am very happy).

But I finally decided that I have to give it a good couple of speakers!

Until now it was occasionally connected to a micro-hifi but the results is awful.

I ASK YOU: what I can connect to it (through XLR?)?

Two active speakers are raccomanded?

May 9, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #3,290 of 3,573
Hi, 

You can connect your active speakers either to RCA, either to XLR outputs, depending on your speakers input cables and plugs. Feel free to read your speakers documentation and connection diagram before connecting them to your DAC. If still unsure, let us know more about your speakers (manufacturer, model etc.).

Regards!

May 10, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #3,291 of 3,573
  Hi, 

You can connect your active speakers either to RCA, either to XLR outputs, depending on your speakers input cables and plugs. Feel free to read your speakers documentation and connection diagram before connecting them to your DAC. If still unsure, let us know more about your speakers (manufacturer, model etc.).

Regards!

Hi,

I need your help TO BUY a pair of active speakers. Actually E1 is connected to an expensive but ugly micro hifi that I hate how it sounds.

I read here in this topic that E1 should be connected to active speakers instead of to another amplifier.

So I am here to ask your help about what to buy.

I have a middle-sized living room the speaker will be on the corners of this room (one left corter, one right corner).

My genre are heavy metal and acoustic (no electronic or dance).

My budget is 500 euro.

I was looking for these:

- Rookit RP8
- Eris E8

I am afraid of that:

- only 2 way? how they'll sound?
- the sound will be too thin
- the sound will not be overwhelming (sorry for my english)

Please advice and help.

May 12, 2016 at 7:22 AM Post #3,292 of 3,573
How does the E1 Muses compare to new stuff? Like:

Bifrost 4490 / Multibit
Chord Mojo
IFi
IFi Micro DAC2
Etc

May 12, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #3,294 of 3,573
I bet its better than any of those

Have you compared it to any of those?
How does it compare to Gungnir / Gungnir Multibit?

What all have you heard and compared it to?

May 21, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #3,296 of 3,573
Has nobody compared the Asus essence one muses edition to? :frowning2:

Asus essence one muses MK II
IFi micro idsd
Chord Mojo and a Chord Hugo
Schiit Gungnir and Gungnir Multibit
Violectric V800
Asus STX II
Benchmark DAC1 and DAC2
Grace M903
Etc

May 23, 2016 at 5:24 AM Post #3,297 of 3,573
It's difficult to pick the best DAC from above, so it would be best if you could listen to them if possible. Also price tags might differ a little bit, so you should check for the best price/sound for yourself.

Myself I would consider Gungnir Multibit as an upgrade to all of the above DACs, but that's only me. :)

May 23, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #3,298 of 3,573
I had the Asus Xonar One for some years now but sadly it broke a couple of months ago. The isolation on the power transformer melted

Interestingly there was no visible damage on any connector or PCB. Looks like the wires in the power tranformer were poorly isolated and the isolation failed over the years. The short circuit in between the wires then started to melt away the isolation until it blown the fuse. At least that is the only explanation I have for the damage. 

May 24, 2016 at 6:01 AM Post #3,300 of 3,573
Want me to contact Petra toroid (Iasi, RO) for you? I can provide them all the details so they can build for you a new one. Or you can search on Digikey/Mouser/eBay for domething compatible to fit inside your E1.

I do have a new DAC incoming but I would be interested in repairing the Asus if it is possible for a reasonable price. Do you have an estimate how much it would cost to build a repacement power transformer? Thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back