Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Apr 23, 2012 at 6:59 AM Post #856 of 3,573
Well, if the ONE was sold by an audiophile company, it'd cost 3X the price for sure.

This M1DAC looks like nothing to write home to Mummy about: http://www.ippinkan.com/musical_fidelity/m1_series/m1dac_musical_fidelity_inner.jpg

dead simple output stage(prolly based on two 5532's as I/V and you can't swap them), poor PSU section...it looks like 20yo technology.

Apr 23, 2012 at 7:08 AM Post #857 of 3,573

Quote:
Well, if the ONE was sold by an audiophile company, it'd cost 3X the price for sure.

This M1DAC looks like nothing to write home to Mummy about: http://www.ippinkan.com/musical_fidelity/m1_series/m1dac_musical_fidelity_inner.jpg

dead simple output stage(prolly based on two 5532's as I/V and you can't swap them), poor PSU section...it looks like 20yo technology.

Yea it does look simple, but it sounds outstanding, I've heard it briefly on a speaker setup once, and compared to CA Dac magic, the difference was pretty obvious, M1 is a significant step up. As for poor PSU,  its actually one of the best things about it according to reviews. It's got a choke-regulated power supply as well, which is very rate for DAC in this price range.

I don't know how Essence One sounds, but M1DAC is apparently a bargain for 800$. Now, I haven't heard any other DAC apart from M1 and CA Dac Magic, so I can't tell how good its value really is.
Also, I don't think I've read a simple negative review about it, every review swears its one of the best DAC's they've heard and great value.I know this is marketing, but Musical Fidelity claims its performance is close to their top of the line DAC that costs 10 times more.

People on head-fi who bought it love it. I certainly would not buy a new one, as its way over my budget, but I got mine for half the price of the Essence One, and it's in mint condition, at least according to pictures.

The thing is, I wonder whether I can get a headphone amp for 300$ that will be as good as the one in Essence One.

Apr 26, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #859 of 3,573
I thought that was already established earlier in the thread? 
confused.gif

Apr 27, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #862 of 3,573

Hello may i noe do i swap only the 2 "Number 8" opamps  , single Number 6, and two number 5s if i were to use XLR out only? Urgently looking for confirmation. Thanks guys

Apr 27, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #863 of 3,573

Quote:

Hello may i noe do i swap only the 2 "Number 8" opamps  , single Number 6, and two number 5s if i were to use XLR out only? Urgently looking for confirmation. Thanks guys

You can swap lower two Nr 8 for XLR, but both Nr 6 and all four Nr 5. - not all numbers at the same time - try for yourselves.

Apr 27, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #864 of 3,573

Quote:

You can swap lower two Nr 8 for XLR, but both Nr 6 and all four Nr 5. - not all numbers at the same time - try for yourselves.

yes i was talking about the lower number 6. I am only using the XLR output so is it still necessary for me swap the upper row of single 8, double 7, single 6 and double 5? What do you mean by not all numbers at the same time? Thanks!

Apr 27, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #865 of 3,573

Quote:

yes i was talking about the lower number 6. I am only using the XLR output so is it still necessary for me swap the upper row of single 8, double 7, single 6 and double 5? What do you mean by not all numbers at the same time? Thanks!

It is advisable to swap one section at a time to hear what it brings to sound. Upper Nr 8 is for RCA output, lower two for XLR. One section is also both Nr 6 and all four Nr 5's. Nr 7 is probably lapsus calami. (it is ok to swap only two Nr 8's for XLR as you use it)

Apr 28, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #866 of 3,573
I have one silly question but my curiosity regarding this is bugging me. :D If you guys could shed some insight into this, I'd really appreciate it. Can static electricity zaps to the outside of the case of E1 cause some (any) sort of damage to its components? I understand static electricity can be fatal to E1's components when applied directly but not sure when it comes to its metal case. Where does the electricity go? I sure my high school physics teacher wouldn't be happy that I'm asking this...

I know, not a really appropriate question in a HP forum, but this has been bugging me a bit. :D

Apr 28, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #867 of 3,573

Quote:
I have one silly question but my curiosity regarding this is bugging me. :D If you guys could shed some insight into this, I'd really appreciate it. Can static electricity zaps to the outside of the case of E1 cause some (any) sort of damage to its components? I understand static electricity can be fatal to E1's components when applied directly but not sure when it comes to its metal case. Where does the electricity go? I sure my high school physics teacher wouldn't be happy that I'm asking this...

I know, not a really appropriate question in a HP forum, but this has been bugging me a bit. :D

No the case/system would be grounded.
The circuits themselves can be damaged as they run on very small amounts of voltage and static is a very high voltage in comparison.

Apr 29, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #868 of 3,573
Need serious help here. I tried to update the firmware and it says "PASS" so i restart the One and it no longer works. No matter wad button u press, you cant choose the inputs or upsampling. In short, there are no lights at all except for the power button. I cant hold the upsampling and mute button together and go to the 3 red lights settings to update the firmware again. Do i really need to send my one back to exchange? Thanks.

Apr 29, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #870 of 3,573
Clipping can happen if you are messing with other programs while using a computer transport.  Also, clipping can occur if the playback buffer is set too low in Foobar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back