Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Nov 23, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #318 of 3,573
So the front volume pots are digital after all?

Like I would buy/trust something like this from China........China!

Every opamp roller has bought stuff from this seller, he's very serious...this said, my fav opamp these days is OPA1641...good thing it's cheap coz my friend would need 22 of them, and the day they'll all have to be soldered on DIP8 dual adapters I'll most likely play dead
floatsmile.png

Nov 24, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #319 of 3,573
Hi guys,

Does any knows if you can route different signals to the headphone and to the speakers? I mean if is this a two channel sound card or just single? Wanna use it with my dj controller and have the speakers out as main out and the headphones out for monitor.

cheers

Nov 25, 2011 at 5:29 AM Post #320 of 3,573
Hello,

I made some tests with my essence one.

The best sound I can get is under windows(vista).
In the windows sound settings, you can adjust the usb output: 44 Khz, 96 Khz, 192 Khz...
If you choose 192 Khz, all your music will be upsampled by the PC and sent to the essence one at 192K.
The essence one will display the 192 K led.
The upsampling made by the PC is better than the one made by the essence.
But to have the best sound, you will have to use foobar2000 also.

Under linux, I can't choose 192K, linux sends the music always at 44Khz/16 bits, so the sound
is not as good.

With my settings under windows the sound seems better than with the STX.

I think the upsampling button of the essence will be useful, if you can't upsample with the PC,
and for old recordings.

Nov 25, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #321 of 3,573
isleofgeorge said:
Does any knows if you can route different signals to the headphone and to the speakers? I mean if is this a two channel sound card or just single?

This device uses four channels internally, but this is only for the balanced outputs which have positive/negative signals for both left/right channels.
The external input always uses one stream with two channels.

Nov 25, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #322 of 3,573
Nov 25, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #325 of 3,573
isleofgeorge said:

If it is 2x2 channel internally and I am feeding it through the usb port, it should be possibel i suppose.

The descriptors say "bNrChannels  2".
Furthermore, the CMI6631 won't be connected with more than one I²S stereo output to the rest of the device.

Nov 26, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #327 of 3,573
Utilizing the coaxial RCA analog output, I can see there are 4 swappable sockets for replacement in this path. Question: Is is possible to mix and match different opamps along this path. eg. Analog Devices and T.I. Burr Brown together???

Nov 26, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #328 of 3,573
Wow.  I'm so glad I stumbled upon this thread.  I have an STX and love it, but I was thinking of upgrading to an external DAC and Headphone Amp.  I almost pulled the trigger on a couple of them.  I'm glad I didn't.  I am very excited to get my hand on this as soon it's released.  I hope it's before the end of the year so it will be a nice gift for me before the end of the year :).  I know it's been asked several times already, but does anyone know any more updates about the official release?

Nov 26, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #329 of 3,573
It's shipping in Germany right now.

Quote:
Wow.  I'm so glad I stumbled upon this thread.  I have an STX and love it, but I was thinking of upgrading to an external DAC and Headphone Amp.  I almost pulled the trigger on a couple of them.  I'm glad I didn't.  I am very excited to get my hand on this as soon it's released.  I hope it's before the end of the year so it will be a nice gift for me before the end of the year :).  I know it's been asked several times already, but does anyone know any more updates about the official release?

Nov 26, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #330 of 3,573
If you are located in North America its available here...    http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=111134424&vpn=XONAR%20ESSENCE%20ONE&manufacture=Asus
                                                                  and here.........http://www.pccanada.com/viewitem.asp?id=36878

Users who are viewing this thread

Back